Old 02-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
Trip Brought A Couple of Questions

Our first trip brought a question or two.

My wife was so excited over our porta potty. Tent camping she had been used to a bucket. Day time we go to the bathroom but at night gotta have it close. The porta potty worked great and was really easy to dump.

I saw a couple of popups that had the privacy shower/bathroom. It got me to thinking how do they drain those if it's used as a shower....wouldn't that count as "gray water?"

I know many of you, like us, cook outside. Do you also wash your dishes outside? Tent camping we carried a couple of small pots and heated water up and washed and rinsed them and then put them in a retainer to dry. Never even thought about gray just went on the ground. Now that we have a popup, what do you do with your water from the dish water? I realize if you wash them in the sink inside it goes into the gray water container.

Was thinking of setting up a small table behind the camper and using the shower nozzle/hose to wash and rinse the dishes since we have a spray nozzle and hot water.

Thanks for your help.

Tow Vehicle: 2012 Durango 3.6 Pentastar Engine
Purchased 2013 A128S 01-15-14
Total nights camping 2014-(10)
Total Nights Camping 2015-(9)
Total Nights Camping 2016-(3)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Yes, shower is gray water. The toilet empties into the black holding tank and the shower empties into the gray holding tank and the two are kept seperate.
I chose not to deal with the black tank - so we do not use the toilet in the pup.

HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
Traveled 19520 miles and 209 nights in 7 years and counting
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
Most pop ups that have toilets have cassette potties. Permanently installed seats and a more elaborate but portable waste tank version of yours. The A-Frames and most pop ups that have inside showers use an outside grey tank, just like we do for our sinks.

Texas Parks and Wildlife says that all water collected in a plumbing fixture must be properly disposed of at the dump station. The rules make no differentiation between grey and black water.

I have an outside dish washing set up like you are considering, basically a small folding table and I store the soap and a scrubie in the outside shower. My reading of Texas park rules does not differentiate that from water generated by tent campers. It may be disbursed on the ground. But as considerate campers we should make sure to minimize the particulates and disburse it away from where people walk.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Grey water from your indoor sink and shower can be caught in 5 gallon pails and disposed of at the dump station or bathrooms if they use flush toilets. We occasionally use the outside shower for dishwashing and let the water return to mother earth. Enjoy the new camper and all the freedom it represents.
jimdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
We used an old 5 gallon water bottle for our grey water hooked up with a clear hose, worked great!
Gary and Kate - New Owners
2014 Flagstaff T12DDST
2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

Nights Camped 2
KnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
I didn't have a shower/toilet, but I used one of these for 20 years with my pop up (the 5 gal model). It fit neatly under my dinette table on the road (make sure you keep the outside clean!) It came with a short (~ 2ft) piece of standard hose with a fitting on each end. One end connects to the tank cover, one end connects to the outlet from the sink.

10887 Barker 5 Gallon RV Tote-Along Portable Holding Tank

When it gets full, take it to the CG bathroom and pour it down a toilet. Very simple. With a shower, you probably would need a larger one, in which case, you'd have to dump it at the dump station. The bigger ones let you attach them to your TV's trailer hitch and pull them. Only issue with the bigger ones is where to store it on the road.

1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote