Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #11

This is the first "road" trip going to visit the family both wifes and mind in PA and thought it would be nice to take the camper save on hotel rooms and get a little sight seeing in at the same time. sounds like I might have been overly optistic about the sight seeing part. Now thinking of just stoping over night for sleep and adding a one day stop over to see the caves.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #12

I am all about Google maps for trip planing. It will suggest a route but easily adjust for the route you want to take. The drive times are consistent with the speed limit too. But AFAIK, it can not adjust timings for actual speed you intend to travel. Google is also available on your smartphone for on the road navigation.

Making a stop at Mammoth cave will be worth your while. I have also enjoyed stopping a various battlefields and forts along that part of the country. My next swing to the north east to visit the in-laws will include a stop at Huntsville AL. No matter how far out of the way it is and what the DW says.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
My next swing to the north east to visit the in-laws will include a stop at Huntsville AL. No matter how far out of the way it is and what the DW says.
Minor hijack - Monte Sano State Park in Huntsville, AL is gorgeous! We used our camper as a hotel last year there and it was stunning.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #14

Thanks for your input the plan now looks like finding a camp grounds along the way to sleep at about 8 hour intervals with an all day stop to see Mammoth cave, this will be nice as I'll be able to take in a couple of different cave tours. Then do the same thing coming back but without the day stop for the cave tours. On the plus side the Pittsburgh Ren faire will be going on while we are up there so I'll get a faire visit in too.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenFaire Camper View Post
On the plus side the Pittsburgh Ren faire will be going on while we are up there so I'll get a faire visit in too.
Oh! When's that? We're hitting Pittsburgh just after July 4.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #16

Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival

AUGUST 24-25, 31
SEPTEMBER 1-2, 7-8, 14-15, 21-22, 28-29 - 2013
Saturday, Sunday and Labor Day Only!
10:30am - 6:30pm
Rain or Shine / No Pets
FREE PARKING

I know many of the people that will be performing or vending there as they also do my home faire Scarborough renaissance festival.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
Fulltime family RVer

Thanks and sadly I'll miss it. By that point we'll either be at the beach or home. Have fun!

Sounds like you have a new plan in order and should be good to go!