Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #1

trouble with cauking arounskylight

The skylight over the bed of my hard side camper has developed a leak. The caulking at the corner has separated so there is an opening. I put more caulking in and around this spot but when I took off the cover today I saw that the separation has reappeared. Any suggestions to solve this problem? My camper is only 2 years old. Thanks!!
Kevin Downey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #2

What kind of caulking did you use?
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #3

I do not remember the name right off but I got it at a RV store. They recommended it to me when I told them why I needed it. It came in a big tube. I put it on with a generous amount so I thought I solved the problem. I haven't used my camper this summer and kept it covered so when I took the cover off today I was surprised to see the opening. It is only in this one spot. The other skylight is fine. Thanks!!
Kevin Downey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant is most likely what they recommended. It is soft and flexible and designed to flow into and fill gaps.

Your problem may be you have a rather large gap below the skylight that the caulk is trying to fill.

You may need to scrape the old Dicor out with a plastic putty knife (a hair dryer or heat gun set on low may help soften the old dried out caulk) and fill any large gap with spray foam or rope caulk. Then Dicor over the seam and revisit in a week to make sure to fill any gaps that show up as the Dicor settles.

That is why the manual (such as it is) recommends a roof visit every 60 days for preventative resealing of the Dicor lap joints.

If you have not visited the roof until the leak appeared some 2 years later, you got admirable service from your unmaintained roof. Sort of like not changing your oil for 2 years and then notice an engine knock.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Downey View Post
The skylight over the bed of my hard side camper has developed a leak. The caulking at the corner has separated so there is an opening. I put more caulking in and around this spot but when I took off the cover today I saw that the separation has reappeared. Any suggestions to solve this problem? My camper is only 2 years old. Thanks!!
Save yourself some time and effort and use the 3M Tape and tape around the skylight. I put it around all of my dome windows, the fantastic fan on my Aframe. Not hard to put on and works great to keep it from leaking.

The following is a link to the 3M tape...I bought the 18 yd 2" wide roll but you can get smaller rolls.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Acrylic-Ext...e+sealing+tape

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:33 AM   #6

you never put self leveling caulk on an aframe ..
your problem sounds like a rivet that holds the corner of the window in place has popped ... allowing your window to flex, thus pulling up the origional caulking. you can try RVflex, but im afraid this will have to go to the dealers and have the unit looked at.
mine did the same thing .. the window had to be removed, the rivets removed and new larger rivets installed .. 2 on each corner. the window was then resealed, recaulked and then 3m exteme tape was laid over the entire window frame.

d-mo
Old 09-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
your problem sounds like a rivet that holds the corner of the window in place has popped ... allowing your window to flex, thus pulling up the origional caulking. you can try RVflex, but im afraid this will have to go to the dealers and have the unit looked at.
mine did the same thing .. the window had to be removed, the rivets removed and new larger rivets installed .. 2 on each corner. the window was then resealed, recaulked and then 3m exteme tape was laid over the entire window frame.

d-mo

My experience is in travel trailers and 5th wheels. So sorry if my answer was not applicable. May I ask why this is so? Is it because of the slant when erected?

Would Eternabond be a better solution?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #8

I am curious to about the reason for not putting self leveling caulk on an A Frame.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post

d-mo
I don't think newer models use rivets or screws for skylights. My 2012 a124 has no rivets or screws in skylights. I remember reading somewhere that using rivets or screws caused cracking so manufacturer just bonded them on. How many out there have rivets on there skylights?
mzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #10

i would clean the entire area of old caulk and try to use eternabond all the way around the sky light. the tape is tacky when putting down but should last several years if that fixes your leak. Best get the leak fixed soon as water penetration on any camper/trailer is bad news.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #11

Eternabond tape...
X2

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzak View Post
I don't think newer models use rivets or screws for skylights. My 2012 a124 has no rivets or screws in skylights. I remember reading somewhere that using rivets or screws caused cracking so manufacturer just bonded them on. How many out there have rivets on there skylights?
Neither does mine. I am guessing they are held on with double sided tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastlakeRoo View Post
try to use eternabond all the way around the sky light.....Best get the leak fixed soon as water penetration on any camper/trailer is bad news.

The use of Eternabond vs 3M tape is partially aesthetic. Since the roof is quite visible and several forum members, who have done this, found the translucent 3M tape blends satisfactory. I am guessing again that the bright white eternabond would stand out quite a bit more on the newer non-white AFrames.

But, yes, a quick and permanent fix is called for.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #13

I used black 2" Eternabond tape around all the skylights and fan. The black blended in well with the skylight color. Did that as soon as I got it home so I wouldn't have to worry about skylight leaks.
Loranimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light