Old 09-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #11
To answer the question... NO there is no 'additional' switch that needs to be thrown/turned on for the furnace to work when not connected to shore power.

As mentioned, you DO need 12v power for it to work so you have to have a charged battery and it must be connected to the system so be sure the battery disconnect switch is in the proper position (if equipped)

Someone asked earlier... does it work when plugged in?
The answer will help us narrow down what could (if anything) might be wrong.

2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 42
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #12
Site Team
You don't say if this a a new trailer and the first time you used the furnace. if that is the case, there may be air in the lines. If the furnace does not light in a few tries, it locks itself out as a safety feature. Pull the fuse for the furnace and wait a few minutes. Reinsert the fuse and try again. Set thermostat to auto. Things you should hear when thermostat calls for heat.

First thing is furnace blower fan should come on This triggers a sail switch.
about 30-60 seconds later you should hear clicks ( the ignition spark)
The furnace should start.
It may try this a few times before it locks out again and you have to do procedure again.

If no Fan at start, battery is too low or thermostat not calling for heat or fan issues.

If you have not run the furnace before, I suggest you run it during the day ( when not really needed) with all the windows open. The furnace will smell ( possible some smoke) until you burn off the oils left over from the manufacturing process. Not a bad idea to do this every year just prior to needing heat as dust and critters can build up on heat transfer surfaces.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #13
Another hint if you haven't used it before, turn the stove on and get one of the burners to light. This will usually push enough air out ot the propane line to allow the furnace to get some and light. Kind of like priming a pump.
2017 A212HW
2016 Ford Explorer w/ Tow Package
tjwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #14
Be careful not to drain your battery down too low while using your furnace on cold nights. I learned it the hard way. My carbon monoxide detector woke me up in the middle of the night going off. The first time this happened I didn't know if there was really a gas leak. I had just taken delivery, knew nothing and it was cold and snowing outside. This never happened while hooked up to power and I finally learned that if the batteries go below 1/4 it will set off the detector.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #15
7 Year Class A RV'er
Just as several others pointed out, the furnace runs strictly on 12V. When you have shore power, the converter (not inverter) puts out the 12V power for your furnace, lights, fridge, etc. So long as the battery disconnect switch is not off, you should be able to simply set it to heat and forget about it.
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #16
I don't know which furnace you have but mine has a reset switch inside. You might want to see if you have one and check that It is in the on position. This is what mine looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	121519  
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #17
Wow! I logged back in an there are a lot of helpful messages!

I have not checked anything except the battery was at 12.0v. This weekend I am installing solar panel, inverter and multiple batteries. However, before I start that install I will for sure make sure the furnace is working. Below are my answers to various questions asked

1.) There is no battery cut off switch. Planning to install one.
2.) Thermostat fan set to auto. I just learned about that the other day!
3.) Checked fuses, all good.
4.) The furnace was tested once to show me how it operates when I bought the unit back in June. It was plugged into shore power. I have not tested it plugged in yet. This weekend I will. I know the A/C works when plugged into shore power.
5.) I never heard the unit try to ignite and the fan never came on.
6.) Yikes on the smells that the furnace may produce. Glad you told me that and I will do that.
7.) Ha, that loud beep from the carbon monoxide will wake anyone up! I had that happen with the battery dropping to low before because the batter connectors were loose. The camper has way to small of a battery.
8.) Reset switch... yes, now that you mention it I do have one. I will post pic this weekend. I now remember the dealer saying something about resetting the switch if nothing happens. I will try that first.

Hope this answers y'alls questions. I will work more on it this weekend and post back. I am kind of excited to work on the camper this weekend lol.
glarior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #18
Just a note. The fan speed setting is only for the fan itself and the A/C. You cannot control the fan speed for the furnace (whether analog or digital thermostat). The furnace is a self contained unit and operates on 12 volts DC only. You do not need to be connected to shore power to operate the furnace unless your trailer battery is not charged. Shore power connection will provide 12 volts DC via the converter in your unit which will allow furnace operation if the battery is not charged. If you have the digital thermostat setting fan speed to something other than AU will also turn on the A/C fan when furnace is running. At least this is typical for systems that use Dometic digital thermostats.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #19
Stupid question

Is there any propane in your tanks and is the supply turned on?

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #20
Site Team
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Is there any propane in your tanks and is the supply turned on?
See OP's item 5 above. If the fan won't come on, the furnace won't even try to light. There is a problem before checking for propane, IMHO.

SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote

furnace, power