Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 11:22 AM   #21

Plenty of propane. 3/4 bottle #1 and full bottle #2.

I am leaning towards not enough power from the battery right now.... or that's what I am hoping for.
glarior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #22

Well... figured it out. Battery didnt have 12v. Charged battery and it works.

Now the bad news i guess... the batter that came with the camper is technically a 2.92 amp hour battery. That answers why it would never stay charged. Oh well, im converting over to a dual battery setup with solar right now.

Why would a rv come with a marine starter battery? Im mean cmon, seriously?

Highly appreciate all the input from everyone!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:03 PM   #23

Hi thank you for letting us know that it was low voltage and that it works now.
The furnace is a big power hog and will drain a battery in less that one night.

Thanks for your reply Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:59 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarior View Post

Why would a rv come with a marine starter battery? Im mean cmon, seriously?
Is this a new or used trailer?

Most dealers install a cheap marine dual purpose group 24 battery.
Factory doesn't install them on trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Yep... Dealers install the battery(ies) not the factory.
Probably was the least expensive one he had setting around.
Unfortunately, cheap often wins out over proper.

Thanks for letting us know the problem.
This will help others as they search in the future.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #26

It is a 2016 model i bought in june. The battery was a 24 size but a marine starter battery.

Im sure the average camper wouldnt have any issues with it.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #27

The dealer just gives you a "starter" battery.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #28
1+ Yrs of Trailering :0)

Our experience...minimum usage without shore or generator power. Not worth the downside of a dead battery...bundle up...good excuse to cuddle
Old 10-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #29

From past experience with a pop-up at Lake Tahoe, I knew the heater was the big draw electrically when dry camping (no hook-ups). When we bought the A-frame, we figured we would need the heater 4-5 hours a night, and wanted to be able to stay up to 4 nights. I ponied up for the dealer to put in dual batteries (dual size 24).

The A-frame heater fan takes about 4 amps according to some sources, so my plan was doable. Not sure why, but had one of the batteries go bad, which took the other one with it. Long story short, I replaced the batteries with 2 Interstate GC-2 6V 232AH golf cart batteries from Costco. Cost was just under $150, including tax.

With 116AH usable, I can easily go the 4 nights of dry camping. We generally set the heater to 60 degrees (used to set it lower), and the composite walls and roof hold the heat pretty well. I've never seen more than 50% run time for the A-frame heater, even on nights in the 30s.

When dry camping in late Fall or early Spring, our water, food, and battery all run low at the same time. Time to move on.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip: Black Hills, Custer SP
next trip: Utah 5 National Parks
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #30

Glad to read that information. Im working on installing two 27 batteries plus one spare battery just in case. Good to know it will last a few days.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #31

Does the heater work off of only propane when you are plugged in on shore power or does it work on electricity? If it only and always works on propane, does anyone ever take a small space heater to use the "free" electricity of the campground instead of the propane that you have to pay for?
The Tipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 03:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tipper View Post
Does the heater work off of only propane when you are plugged in on shore power or does it work on electricity? If it only and always works on propane, does anyone ever take a small space heater to use the "free" electricity of the campground instead of the propane that you have to pay for?
If you have the "Cool Cat" heat pump (built into air conditioner on some), that runs on only AC power, no propane, but is only effective down to a certain ambient temperature. The furnace requires both propane and electricity (either battery or AC hookup). If I had electrical hookup but it was too cold for Cool Cat to work, then yes, I would use an electric space heater. Another option when you don't have AC power and don't want to wear down the battery is to use a portable Mr. Buddy catalytic heater.

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #33

Quote:
The Cool Cat runs off 120V AC. As pointed out, using it to heat with outside temps below 40 won't work, and may lead to part of the Cool Cat freezing up. The electronic thermostat that controls both heater and Cool Cat takes a very small amount of 12V DC.

The heater fan is a 12V DC fan that draws about 4 amps in operation. If your battery is good, it will run the heater for 2 nights (5 hrs run time per night) without taking the battery below 50%. I have 2 batteries to extend run time without hookups to 4 nights.

On our last trip to the Black Hills we had nights in the high 30s and low 40s. The thermostat was set at 60, and the fan ran about 3 hours each night (10 minutes on, 20 - 30 minutes off). The composite roof and sides, and much smaller volume of air make the heater pretty efficient compared to other campers.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #34

Quote:
The "heater" built into the camper is a propane furnace. It draws in fresh air to burn the propane within a heat exchanger and vents the exhaust. The heat exchanger in turn warms the inside air circulating across it within the furnace. The Coolcat air conditioner is a heat pump that can also heat the air within certain limits for outside temperature.

I do take an electric space heater with me and use it when I have electricity because it is quieter that either the Coolcat or the furnace. A standard 1500 watt heater is sufficient for most of that the weather throws at you. But if it is really cold, I'll fire up the furnace too for a quicker heat up the set the thermostat to 5 degrees below where I want the heater to hold the temperature.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, power