Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #1

TV for rainy days?

Has anyone been using a TV in their A frame?

I am considering one for those rainy days, and would like a review.
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
Always Learning

I don't have an A-Frame, but I did buy super cheap TV/DVD combos because they lessened the amount of devices I needed to sit around. Seems like they would work just fine for an A Frame.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #3

Can't help you. We bring and read books instead. If we want to watch a televised sports event we go into town to a restaurant or sports bar. Old Chicago usually works well. Local museums are another rainy day favorite.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
Camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #4

We have a 23 inch LED tv. Bought a digital antenna that goes on a PVC pole arrangement. You can get other types. I'll probably swap that antenna out next year.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
Site Team

On of the most expensive parts of any tv is the display. Obviously the lower cost tvs use lower cost displays. Be sure to actually view the picture on a low coat tv at several viewing angles. Most all of them look OK head on, but some of the lower cost ones are impossible to view at an angle.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:42 PM   #6
OYO

We only use the TV as you describe, rainy days.

We bring a Samsung 'smart tv'. It allows us to watch OTA, Wi-Fi or screen mirror off our phones when there is no Wi-Fi, but we can get a cell signal.

I imagine other manufacturers offer similar options.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #7

Yes I enjoy it, for times one can not get outside.
ezsplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #8

I don't watch broadcast TV much. So I take movies on a wifi hard drive and watch them on an iPad.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #9

I use a small 19" $69.00 TV I bought on a close out. Just watch the news or if any unpleasant weather moves in. Use a flat panel HDTV antenna, sometimes ok and sometimes not so ok.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #10

We used to just bring our laptop and movies.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #11

pick up a good tablet...subscribe Netflix ...or even better Amazon prime...download... before you go...and enjoy.
no one needs to keep up with the news on a holiday ...

dmo
Old 12-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #12

I have a small 12V TV that I keep in the camper, so I can use it off battery when I'm boondocking. I don't use an antenna though, I just hook it up to my phone and play movies off that.

Also, the 12V TV isn't something special... I just went to Best Buy and looked at them until I found one that used a 12V power adapter and built a little cable to plug it into the 12V outlets I added. Much cheaper than the 12V TVs you'll find at camping shops!
Old 12-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #13
'Rubicon' Wooly

Hello............

Yes we do. Got a 24" tv and a digital antenna we put up outside. At Patrick, AFB we go over 70 channels while camping there. Comes in handy to stay up to date with the news.....

'Rubicon' Wooly....
A212HW
Wooly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
We have a 23 inch LED tv. Bought a digital antenna that goes on a PVC pole arrangement. You can get other types. I'll probably swap that antenna out next year.
We have a small TT not an A Frame. We do bring books and games (i.e. cards, Backgammon, Yahtzee, etc) for inclement weather but also installed a TV and Blu-ray player. I did the same thing with the antenna mounting it on a 10 ft piece of Schedule 80 PVC that break's down in half. It works well and I like not having to locate the antenna mounting plates and cut through the trailer roof.

The main reason we added the television is we use the TT in lieu of a hotel room when traveling. Having the TV lets us see the weather reports and local news. We also tend to camp year round so it is kind of nice to have this time of year where it gets dark early and we spend more time in the trailer rather than outside.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #15

We use a cheapy Walmart 22” with a built in DVD player. I specifically looked for a tv that runs on 12v. If you look at the various TVs you’ll see some that have a transformer block that plugs into the wall. A simple 12v car adapter with the right rca type plug on the tv end will allow you to use it when there is no A/C power. A cheap antenna will allow you you to pick up whatever analog channels that may be available. We don’t always find any so a few discs are handy for those days that you get weathered in and you’ve tired of reading and napping. Like I ever get tired of napping.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #16

I use a cheap HD antenna from Walmart. It will not work on the inside of my Aframe, so I moved it outside, hooked it up to the cable tv connection on the side and velcro it to the top of my camper when in use. I pick up anywhere from 15-22 channels, depending on where I am set up at. So, if you already have the tv, hook it to the cable tv connection in your Aframe, take the cheap or not so cheap antenna outside and hook it to the cable tv connection and put it as high on your Aframe as possible, use velcro or something similar to keep it from falling off.
MikeP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #17

Thanks Mike that is so simple it never came to mind. I’ve had a little trouble with reception sometimes and hung the antenna cable out through the window. Sometimes you don’t notice the solution to a problem is hitting you on the head.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #18

when we had our popup we had a small TV that we set up on our counter. We put a lazy susan under it and could easily swivel it to one side or the other for better viewing. We didn't use an antenna (although the flat ones seem to work well on our outside TV in our new rig) and used a roku and hard drive filled with tv shows and movies to watch things. Lisa

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #19

Thanks for the ideas,

I bought a smallish TV with a dvd player, and tested it today.

For testing reception, I used a basic rabbit ears antenna.

Putting it in various places inside, I was able to get 8 channels.

When I connected it to the outside cable jack, sitting on a seat next to it,
the channels went up to 12! Just like Mike said in his post.
A better antenna on a plastic pipe post should do good for reception.

I used to sort of frown whenever I looked at that jack, but now I am
really glad that it is there.

I guess I can look forward to camping somewhere where cable tv
is offered.
mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #20

We just bought a 15.3 inch HDTV/DVD combo TV and one of those flat hang in the wall antennas to use in ours when we start camping finally this spring. It is a 12V and I am going to be adding 12V plugs in the camper so we will be able to use it whether we are plugged in or not(it also came with a 120 adapter). I believe it is going to work just right.

I hooked it all up in the house last night and it found all the available channels that we get and looked great. WE live a long way out in the woods and have trouble with the digital signals. It was a good test and i think it will work just fine.