Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #1

Twin beds or King Bed

We just sold our A122, and are looking to replace it with a A213HW/T21TBHW.

Our initial feelings are that we like the twin bed setup during the day for lounging or napping when we have to stay inside, and the king bed at night (I'm kind of wide body so turning over on the narrow "twin" beds while sleeping might be an adventure).

For those of you who have this model, is the transition from twin beds to king on a daily basis more trouble than it's worth?

We expect we'll need a mattress topper to make the beds usable for the night. Or have the OEM mattresses improved in the last 5 years?

If you use toppers, where do you store the topper(s) when in the twin bed configuration?

Do you use a single king topper, or 2 or 3 separate toppers?

We are just looking for ideas on how to approach these issues. In worst case, we'll just leave it as a king, and use the dinette for any sitting. The advantage over our A122 is that the bed(s) can be used lengthwise (we're both under 6ft) so I don't have to crawl over the wife to get out of the bed.

The installed cassette toilet is a requirement when the pit/vault potties in many Colorado campgrounds are unsafe for my wife to use while chemo is messing with her immune system.

Fred W
soon to be 2019 213HW/T12TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
OYO

We use the king bed exclusively. I would think transitioning back and forth daily would be difficult.

If we have to hang out in the camper my wife usually sits/lies on the bed and I sit at the dinet. But that only happens in an extreme downpour or I'm waiting for the sun to come up.

We use a memory foam topper. A California King fits perfectly horizontally. We do sleep front to back, I guess you could call it vertical. I'm 5' 10" and there is just enough room.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the response and your ideas. We'll probably experiment when we take delivery. Can't wait to go camping again.

Fred W
Old 07-15-2018, 01:46 AM   #4

We just leave ours in the king bed configuration permanently. We added a mattress topper and it made a huge difference. The space under the bed is great for storage when not using the AC. The black and yellow storage tote from Costco fits perfectly and then a small trashcan will also fit. We use the storage tote as our dry food pantry. I put a tension curtain rod across the opening to keep it all from sliding out.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #5

So far only out twice with it. Twin bed both times, we didn't want to block the airflow. We may try it out once we figure out the cooling process.
krasay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #6

We have the T21TBHW and convert the bed back and forth, it's nice to have the twin configuration set up during the day. It's nice to have the twin setup for napping & allows for good air flow for the AC and more floor space if forced inside during a rain storm. To change the bed configuration back and forth is not that difficult and if you leave the bed in "king" position it's difficult to get to the drawers between the bunks. At first I thought we would leave it set up as a "king" but learned early on that it's better to have the extra space during the day.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
We have the T21TBHW and convert the bed back and forth, it's nice to have the twin configuration set up during the day. It's nice to have the twin setup for napping & allows for good air flow for the AC and more floor space if forced inside during a rain storm. To change the bed configuration back and forth is not that difficult and if you leave the bed in "king" position it's difficult to get to the drawers between the bunks. At first I thought we would leave it set up as a "king" but learned early on that it's better to have the extra space during the day.

Agreed on the desirability of the twin setup during the day.

Do you use a topper(s) at night?

What size sheets and bedding do you use?

Where do you store the center cushions during the day?

Fred W
Old 07-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #8

We use the twin bed setup exclusively. We did get a king topper and cut it into 3 pieces so that if we ever want to bring the middle sections we have a topper for it. My DH is 6' and 200 lbs. He said he sleeps just fine in the twin. I just can't imagine where to put and store the middle cushions and topper every day. But for a good nights sleep, I am sure you can figure something out.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:19 PM   #9

I'm close 300lbs and 5'9". I have no problem turning or sleeping on the twin in our 2017 T21TBHW with a 3" topper. The newer mattresses in the twin bed models are suppose to be memory foam.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcangler View Post
We use the twin bed setup exclusively. We did get a king topper and cut it into 3 pieces so that if we ever want to bring the middle sections we have a topper for it. My DH is 6' and 200 lbs. He said he sleeps just fine in the twin. I just can't imagine where to put and store the middle cushions and topper every day. But for a good nights sleep, I am sure you can figure something out.
The center piece doubles as a back rest during the day to convert the beds to a couch. The small table does the same. We normally put long one on the door side and the small one on the sink side during the day and lean them in the door when sleeping.
krasay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #11

Side question. How long are the twin beds in the 21' a-frames? I'm 6'4" and need my queen length .
rvsixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #12

pgandw, we haven't gone with a mattress topper, original mattresses are still in good condition and are the memory foam type (2016 T21TBHW & 100+ days of camping). During the day we put the "center pieces" across the two bunks under the rear dome window. I use them as a pillow/headrest when taking a nap. We use three single size fitted sheets for the mattresses and a king size flat sheet on top and if need be a king size thermal blanket or quilt.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #13

DW and myself prefer using the two single beds. We put a small fan on the floor to circulate air across the floor of the camper. Besides, at my age, I make many trips to the little boys room during the night.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsixer View Post
Side question. How long are the twin beds in the 21' a-frames? I'm 6'4" and need my queen length .
The twin beds are each 30"x74" long according to the floor plans. A "normal" twin is 39" x 75" long. At 5'9", I fit with not a lot to spare on the twins.

If you make it up as a king, and sleep crosswise instead of lengthwise, you have 80" of length and 74" wide, normal king is 78" wide.

Fred W
buying our Flagstaff 2019 T12TBHW, sold our 2014 Rockwood A122
Old 07-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #15

Thanks pgandw for the info. Too short unfortunately.
rvsixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:13 AM   #16

We use the twin bed set up.The insert is hard as rock and heavy.It's left at home.The beds are close enough if you get an invite from the other bed.
CampingMyLifeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #17

After camping in the T21TBHW as 2 narrow twins twice, once solo and once with DW, we are going to use the bed as a king next trip (October). We will get 2 normal twin toppers, as a king topper would be difficult to switch back to twin if we want. As a narrow twin, the beds are a little too narrow for us to comfortably toss and turn. Skinnier folks may see it differently.

I'm just OK without a topper, DW is not.

I have already moved one of the Cool Cat ducts to the forward end of the bed - does a much better job of getting cool (or warm) air throughout the A-frame.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Old 09-27-2018, 10:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
After camping in the T21TBHW as 2 narrow twins twice, once solo and once with DW, we are going to use the bed as a king next trip (October). We will get 2 normal twin toppers, as a king topper would be difficult to switch back to twin if we want.
We use it exclusively as twin, but I bought a king topper. I cut (with an electric knife) two 30" wide pieces one from right side, then one left side for the twins. I Saved the middle piece. That way if we ever want king, I have the middle piece topper saved. Was cheaper than 2 twin toppers also.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #19

I like the twin bed feature. Allows more floor space. I could see where Large frame people may be more comfortable with the king. For us it’s perfect as a twin.
Katerjane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katerjane1 View Post
I like the twin bed feature. Allows more floor space. I could see where Large frame people may be more comfortable with the king. For us it’s perfect as a twin.

She was a big-boned gal from southern Alberta, you just couldn’t call her small. - KD Lang
mtmurphy56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, beds, king bed