Old 09-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #1

Unraisable Roof

New to the Forum. Took out the new 12ft rb Flagstaff A frame to Greer Az for the first trip. Have been having trouble raising the roof. Really struggling. Thought it was just weak little ol me. Had 3 other men try it. Not able to raise it without the 2nd person lifting on the other side. Still a struggle. Brand new A frame. Bad lift system ?? Has anyone else had problems with lifting the roof. No way a woman or elderly person(more than me) could do it. Maybe I got a lemon. Thank you

Old 09-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Rockwood Premier A126

That doesn't sound right. There are several women on this forum who are able to "raise the roof" of their campers by themselves. (woot!)

Sorry, but a trip back to the dealer seems to be in order. The service peeps need to take a look at it. Please let us know what you find out.

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

I find that since I am short (5'4") - it helps to stand on a small stepstool to give initial push up on the right side then I move to the left to complete the upward push to 'lock' the roof pieces together. I would not be able to do this without the extra inches the step stool gives me to get proper height to get momentum of raising roof. The slower you raise it, the harder it is...the faster and more "fluid" you can make the initial push UP, the more likely it will catch the other roof section without physically having to move to this other side to push it up (like I typically do haha)

It shouldnt take 3 people to lift your roof. Have you called the dealer? Did you have the dealership give you a walk through on raising it up before you took delivery of it? Were you able to do it then?

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi Jeff,

Did you have have any problems putting up the roof during your pdi? Try the stepstood suggestion because I'm shorter (5'2) and had trouble with the A-liner larger unit that I was originally looking at.

I just saw a Flagstaff A frame on my dealer lot yesterday and had to check it out. Only took a quick peek but I liked it better than the other company's A-frame units.

BTW - welcome to the forums!

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #5

+1 for a trip to the dealer. It sounds like maybe the torsion bar that provides the lift assistance on one of the panels is broken or otherwise messed up.

The lift assistance is supplied by metal bars that act as torsion springs. One part attaches to the roof panel and the other extends into the front or rear side of the camper.

If one breaks or is not connected correctly it will be like a garage door with a broken spring, very difficult or impossible to lift.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your input. I am vertically challenged and use a step, but other people taller and bigger than I still cant lift it without another. I think you are right about the torsion bar plus the rubber bungee cords may be the problem. Will go to the dealer tomorrow. Thanks again everyone. You are a good group to be afilliated with.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #7

Were you lifting the "upper" roof (the one toward the front) or the "lower" one?

I was lifting the rear (lower) roof and it was way heavy, then I tried lifting the other one and it poped up super easy (it pulls the other side up with a bungie cord).
Old 09-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #8

Ditto on what thunder Road said. One handle is for lifting and one is for lowering. The handles on mine are actually labled as such.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #9

Lifting to open is don using the rear handle, lower with the front.

In actuality is usually give the front a little lift before pushing on up with the rear handle. The key is smooth motion.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #10

As a woman with weak shoulders trying to get the needed leverage, I found a 48" 24 was the perfect lever for me...goes up like a breeze. I took the same length and made a PVC "tool" that works incredibly well. I highly recommend it for people under 6'. The pipe is about 2" in diameter, and I notched out a slot at one end to perfectly fit the lift/raise handles. I will see if I can post a pic soon to beer allow visual of it.