Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #1

Wall leveling problem or something else...

This is our fourth TT (starting with a PUP) in 30 years but our first A frame which is an A214HW. I parked it on our trailer concrete driveway and it was reasonably level so I put it up and we began learning about it and loading our stuff from our old trailer. After several days I popped it back down.

A week later I went to pop it back up, mostly for practice and to load some new items and found that the wind locking "bolt" on the front roof didn't match up with the socket on the driver's side wall (opposite the door side wall) so it wouldn't seat correctly. I tried lifting the front roof slightly to see if it would line up but it wouldn't; the bolt is ALMOST in the socket but nowhere near the center of the socket which is what I would expect. This means the wall isn't anywhere close to latching. I know my driveway isn't perfectly level in two directions for drainage and the door side of the trailer is probably an inch and a half lower than the side with the wind locking bolt but I'm really surprised that it went up perfectly the first time and now it won't. I intend to put a ramp on the low side for storage that would keep it level (like I did with my last trailer) but now I'm concerned that I broke something. I didn't use my old ramps because my previous trailer was a tandem axle and this one isn't so I needed a different setup.

Is this a common problem if it isn't quite level or has anyone seen this? Is it a problem with front-back leveling or side-side leveling? Hate to think I broke our new trailer before we even get to use it. Our first trip isn't for a couple of weeks.
TrailerTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
OYO

I've had similar issues twice in 3 years, both times on sloping sites. I rehitched and releveled and everything was fine. One of those times I know the camper moved after unhitching and before raising the roof. Fortunately with no apparent damage.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:33 AM   #3

The trailer will flex a fair amount. It is surprising really, considering how beefy the frame is. I found out how much the trailer will flex by me doing something that everyone says NOT to do: I leveled my trailer on the low side by actually lifting the trailer with the stabilizer jacks. Although the trailer was level, the frame deflected from front to back as you could tell by the A wall lower hinge line. I lowered the trailer, and everything went back to normal. Level your trailer with blocks and you will be fine. Pretty sure no permanent damage done.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #4

You will be fine no damage done. I have had this happen a few times too, just make sure you are level side to side and front to back. Lower the jacks until they are snug, don't lift the trailer at all or you will not be level and this problem happens, not much room for error since the bolt and hole are similar size. I bought the Anderson leveler and have been very happy with how easy it is to just backup on it till trailer is level, blocks are a pain and hard to make level. https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...s%2C159&sr=8-8
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
OYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer330 View Post
You will be fine no damage done. I have had this happen a few times too, just make sure you are level side to side and front to back. Lower the jacks until they are snug, don't lift the trailer at all or you will not be level and this problem happens, not much room for error since the bolt and hole are similar size. I bought the Anderson leveler and have been very happy with how easy it is to just backup on it till trailer is level, blocks are a pain and hard to make level. https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Hitc...s%2C159&sr=8-8
X2 on the Anderson Levelers.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling