Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 11:33 AM   #1

Walter Filter Bypassed Finally-AWWWWWWW

How hard can it be to bypass the water filter...well, as I mentioned in a previous post this week while camping the glass filter canister broke and water was pouring in my camper. I decided to take the old filter out from under the sink and use an outside one hooked to the water hose.

Went to Wally World and bought a filter kit which I read from several posts would work fine. Went to Lowes and bought a 1/2" by 4" nipple to hook to the two hoses that previously had been hooked to the water filter. Hooked everything up in just a few minutes....I took the old filter completely out and left more room for storage.

Guess what? NO FREAKING WATER....NONE....NADA. Took everything off and put back on...still nothing. My neighbor came over and we analyzed what could have gone wrong. I mean what can go wrong with installing a 4" nipple. After about 20 minutes my neighbor said, "Wonder if your filter on the sink faucet could be stopped up?" So we took the filter off and sure enough it had what looked like a fine white powder all over the inside of it....cleaned it and GOT water.

Ever since I parked here at the house yesterday the alarm at the bottom has been going off...I mean I have no propane on, no car on with exhaust....all windows open airing the camper out with the ceiling fan on and the alarm still going off....driving me crazy so we disconnected it. I'll find a portable one or do something else but I can't stand that alarm. I even had a neighbor come over and tell me it was going off.

So it's camping ready again but wife's shoulder surgery is the 18th so it will be awhile before I can go again.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
World Traveler Member

I installed my inside water filter but when I fill up the tank I use a hose water filter to put in filtered water and leave the inside one in also. My theory is if water is per-filtered the inside filter should last a very long time.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiver View Post
I installed my inside water filter but when I fill up the tank I use a hose water filter to put in filtered water and leave the inside one in also. My theory is if water is per-filtered the inside filter should last a very long time.
X2 abdiver. I filter my water coming and going. I have an inline hose filter that I use when putting water in the fresh water tank and a PUR filter coming out of the tank or shore water. Makes a lot of difference in the taste and smell of sulfur water.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #4

Everybody, do yourself a favor and remove the inside water filter. There is a good chance it will either spin off by itself dumping water all over your camper or it will crack and split dumping water all over your camper. Neither option is desirable. I was treated to the split and dump version in my hybrid Shamrock on the first trip out this year. Luckily I was just a few miles from a Ace hardware and was able to perform the surgery at the cg. Cut the lines, connect them with a Sharkbite connector, and the filter is bypassed. Pretty easy fix.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #5

Water filter bypassed

When I hooked up city water at a recent campsite, I noticed dripping from the camper frame below the city water connection, but not coming from the connection itself, so I shut the water off, went and looked inside, and found the floor all wet. Turned out the connector attaching the water line to the filter had been poorly tightened and had vibrated loose. I've never liked these #@*^ water filters Forest River seems compelled to install inside their campers, so I just cut the Pex on each side of the filter, took the filter out, and re- connected the lines with two Pex connectors and a braided water line. Outside of having to mop up the water, it's about the simplest fix I've ever done. I hate those filters. They're nothing but trouble and, half the time, they're located in a place where it takes a contortionist to get at them to change the filters and mop up all the water that comes out when you try to do it.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bypass