Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #21

From what everyone is saying it seems it's the difference in temp between the inside panel and outside panel making it warp one way or the other. Wouldn't you think in that case a darker color absorbs more heat so the outside expands more than the inside therefore reducing the gap? In the pics I posted the sun had been shining on it not long before I took the pic. I bet it was quite warm inside and the outside was cooling off. The gap was about as bad as it gets.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #22

From what im seeing in the pis provided...it looks like the back roof that the front panel sits on is either delaminating or warping. It is pretty hard for the other panel to warp,as the flashing beam is very rigid at place where it rests on the back roof where the tie downs are connected
I would first inform my dealer, then contact FR....as if this happened to my unit, i would be totally upset.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #23

Oh believe me I'm not happy. I'll let you know what the dealer says when I see them Friday.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #24

I'm looking at the camper right now. It's sitting in the sun closed and the gap is gone. It will be hot inside and when the sun goes down and the outside cools the gap will be like in the pics...
Old 05-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #25

So ...after 14 thousand dollars... do you think this acceptable ? Push it to their rv lot...and make sure they know about the issue but give them dates in which you need your camper.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:50 AM   #26

I'm not thrilled, but I'm patient. I really don't like my dealer, so I'm waiting to see the results some others get. it was mentioned earlier there may be a thicker gasket involved. I may order it myself if thats all it is.

In the mean time, I'm still using and enjoying my trailer. I'm just a bit more cautious about moisture when its closed.
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #27

I'm hoping they don't try to just brush me off with a thicker gasket. It sounds like some people have no problem at all with any warping or gaps so that means if you do have warping it must be a manufacturing defect.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #28

Same problem here with my 2016 Flagstaff 12RBST, I think. I will have mine in to the dealer for this and a few other issues at the end of next week.
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #29

I'm willing to bet quite a few people have this issue and havent noticed.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #30

Had Roof Replaced

My unit had serious water leaks, only when closed. When I picked it up new, the dealer re-caulked the roof windows, while we waited, because of water on the floor. Didn't stop the leak. Went back to the dealer and they replaced the roof windows. Mattress and dinette table top had to be replaced. Didn't stop the leak. While set up at home, no leaks. Went on a camping trip, drove thru bad rain storm. At campground, found mattress and table/counter tops damaged. Back to dealer, they returned the camper to the factory and the complete roof, mattress, counter/dinette tops replaced again. So far, so good.
What the exact problem was, I don't know. I was told the factory has a way to pressurize the interior to show the location of the leak(s)
I wish you good luck in getting this resolved before any damage is done inside of the camper.

A-Frame Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #31

Timfuji,

Did you make it to your dealer on friday? I'm going to call mine today. I noticed when I got home after driving through a rain storm that the deflection was so strong it tweaked the edge flashing (the part the sides butt up against when up) out enough it rubbed where the roof panels overlap, removing a fair amount of paint.

For what its worth, water only made it past the seal about 3 inches, and none seems to have gotten inside, though I think I know why my interior got so dusty...

I'm waiting for the service department to open now so I can call them.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:22 AM   #32

I stopped at my dealer Friday and talked about the gap. At first the service guy told me to just tighten up the clamps that hold the roof down. I pointed out that even after he did that there was still a small gap. I told him depending on temps inside and out I get a large 3/8 gap at times. He talked to the owner of the camping center and then the owner offered to let me drop it off Sunday night on my way home and they could look at it again. (I don't know where some of you buy your rv's but my dealer is great) I told the boss that some people have no problem with warping (and he admitted he never saw one before) so it seems to me that if some are good and mine warps it must be a manufacturing defect. Nobody mentioned the thick gasket fix. He is going to get together with the factory people and see what they think. I'll let you know what they say when I find out.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #33

Thanks for the reply Tim.

Sure would be awesome to have an FR rep see this topic....

Anyone know how to arrange that?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #34

Yesterday we came back from camping in Banff and Jasper no problem at camp site all good as traveling between Banff and Jasper we had a warm day. On the last day at Jasper we had rain so before I closed the roof I wiped it of driving down the highway we had rain and even snow and lots of it . When we got home I opened a trailer and there was water on seating are because of colder weather gap got bigger. But in general we are happy this was our first time with this a122 th and we love it gas furnace is super good to have when it is +1 C outside in night and my fridge actually froze all my food lol .
Martysmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #35

just got off the phone with my dealer. they want to try and replace the gasket with a new one. I explained that this gasket is only 2 months old, and this likely wont solve my issue.

She also mentioned when she was working in the detail shop they saw this repeatedly... Kinda tells me they knew it was an issue, and they don't know how to fix it.

I'm going to attempt to contact FR today, see what I can get.

I love my trailer, and I'm sick over this.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #36

I made it to the dealer this past weekend (last place I wanted to be with the beautiful weather we were having in Michigan's U.P.!), earlier than expected.

I explained that mine had leaked during rain while folded down, and I pointed out a slight arching in the back roof panel. Looking straight forward at the point of the roof from the back of the trailer, there are very slight gaps (maybe 1/4-1/2") between the center and each edge of the rear roof panel. This "arching," as I and the service guy referred to it, continues down to at least the center of the top edge of the rear skylight. It almost looks like there is an internal seam that divides the panel in half from top to bottom and that the seam is bowing out slightly.

The service guy said he could notice it but it did not look abnormal. He was still going to mention it to the technicians. It is possibly he was trying to write it off to avoid doing work, but I am inclined to believe him because the foam stripping where the panels meet when folded down appears to form a complete seal (haven't checked to see if this changes with temperature, though).

The leak I noticed was fairly minor, and it presented as water accumulated and dripping from the bottom interior edge of one of the front skylights. But the skylight seal looks undamaged, so I don't think the dripping came through that.

I will post photos of my panel later and will let you know what the dealership ultimately does.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #37

Just got off the phone with a gentleman at FR. While stating that all of these roofs will have some sort of bow to them, they shouldn't have this much. He didn't commit to any certain fix without the dealer sending him photos (nor would I expect him to) but he did say they would definitely recommend further repairs if they didnt believe a gasket could fix it.

I referred him to this forum for photos and info as this problem is obviously affecting more than 1 unit.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #38

My dealer stated that the recommended fix from the factory was to replace the primary roof seal with a thicker gasket and that a second intermediate gasket would be added. I advised them that it may fix any leaking issues, but the bottom line is that the roof panel is warped and is defective. They stated that I should contact FR customer service to file a warranty claim.

I would expect the dealer to initiate this type of claim, since I purchased the camper from them, but I guess I`m expecting to much from them. My camper is a 2016 model so it`s still under warranty.

I will be contacting FR sometime this week.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #39

You can see the bowing-in of the panel along the yardstick. The left end of the yardstick is at approximately the center of the panel. The left side of the panel has the same bend and gap. None of this is very noticeable unless you are specifically looking for it.

My understanding is that these panels are essentially fiberglass on the outside, textured sheet metal on the inside, and styrofoam in between. That being the case, a slightly uneven surface is not all that surprising to me.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #40

This is a great thread . ...this also could be causing window leaks
.....food for thought

Tags
roo, roof