Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #1

Washing roof of A-frame?

I ordered RV Gel Wash to clean the exterior of my A-frame. I assume that the A-frame should be popped up for washing. (Or not?) What do folks use to reach the peaks? Or is it better to collapse the A-frame down when washing it?
Thanks for any and all tips!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:24 AM   #2

I open my camper up and use a painter's extension pole with a long handle brush attached. I buy Turtle Wax that comes in a gallon jug...pour a small amount in a bucket...fill with water and wash away. Works great and no water spots later.

David
Total Nights Camping 2016-(5)
Total Nights Camping 2017-(4)
Total Nights Camping 2018-(7)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #3

I used diluted Simple Green, and wash the windows very carefully with a cotton cloth/lots of water as they scratch easily. I have a long handled soft brush meant for this type of washing, guaranteed not to scratch finish, works great. At times, if it sits too long, I have to hand wash areas where the Norfolk island pine sprays it during the Spring with sap, even under the carport, darn it!
Old 08-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #4

simple green will damage your bubble lights .. so please do not use it ...
I clean the Aframe with the roof closed .... use RV wash and wax ... and all is good. if i have some very subborn stains i use RV black streak remover .. but that has not happen very often.
I do not wash when the unit is up .. as i have had some leaking problems ... but i was a newbie at this .. spraying water all up inside the foam panels and stuff ... just a note .. dont bother doing this .. saves you lots of headaches ... \

d-mo
Old 08-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the heads up on Simple Green. I use mostly water except for the tree sap. So far, no problem with the windows, but they sure are a worry. Guess I will have to break down and spend money on the RV stuff to be safe, what's a little more money!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #6

Telescoping car wash pole

I use something like this:
Detailer's Choice 4B369 Flow-Thru Vehicle Wash Brush with 60" Telescoping Handle - Walmart.com

Roof erected, Meguiar's Deep Crystal car washing soap in a bucket, just like I would do to wash my truck. The pole just needs to be extended longer.

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #7

I wash mine with the roof up. I use a long handled pole with a soft cloth type of mop brush at the other end (for motorhome washing). I've never had water enter the unit when washing. I am also careful not to shoot water up the sides. I stand on the ladder and spray it parallel and down.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #8

I parked my pick up under Chinese Elm don't leave that on will ruin paint job.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #9

I parked mine under some oak, beech, and maple trees. The wet leaves have left stains. I also found small, brown ants crawling on the exterior. I'm assuming that they fell out of the trees because I sprayed all around the perimeter of the camper with bug spray. (Unless the rain washed all of the spray away, too!)
Old 08-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #10

I washed the camper closed up today with RV gel wash/wax and it looks great, but I always see a slight haze on the bubble windows no matter what I use. What is safe to restore them to that nice black shine?
Old 08-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #11

bubble window

Hi, After i purchased this spring my 2012 a128s rockwood model. I noticed the bubble Windows were hazy and scratched, after viewing different site i found this product on amazone (NOVUS PC-10 Plastic Clean & Shine - 8 oz.) .it comes as no.1 for clean and shine and no2 as scratch remover.. I used them both and my bubble Windows now look like new.. very satisfied..I hope this help.. WE love our "ROCKY"

http://www.amazon.ca/NOVUS-PC-10-Pla...plastic+polish
couzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by couzi View Post
Hi, After i purchased this spring my 2012 a128s rockwood model. I noticed the bubble Windows were hazy and scratched, after viewing different site i found this product on amazone (NOVUS PC-10 Plastic Clean & Shine - 8 oz.) .it comes as no.1 for clean and shine and no2 as scratch remover.. I used them both and my bubble Windows now look like new.. very satisfied..I hope this help.. WE love our "ROCKY"

http://www.amazon.ca/NOVUS-PC-10-Pla...plastic+polish
So, did this stuff take away the sun haze? My son was saying to use the same stuff he uses to buff the TV headlights but seemed to me that it would scratch bubble windows. I am now keeping the windows covered with my popup gizmo covers ( with soft towel over windows ) so no more sun unless I am camping/traveling.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #13

Yes it did clear the sun haze. First I used the No 2, which removed the sun haze and also the light scratches I had. Then I finished the work by using the No 1, that buffs the window to a new condition..Now when I come back from a camping trip I clean the bubble window with that cleaner (NO: 1). On the bottle it says that the cleaner leaves a protective shine agains the sun.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #14

P.S. to DOBEFANATIC I just noticed you are from Florida.Probably your sun haze is worst than here in Canada. But for me it did make my window Crystal clear..... Maybe someone from your area could comment if they used that product..
Old 08-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #15

My son recommends Meguires Plastx polish from local auto parts store. I think he used a buffer with it on my headlights couple years ago. I think I would rather try what you have already been successful using than take a chance on my windows with Meguires.
The window catches some of the morning sun in carport so will keep it covered from now on as it is not yet very noticeable. Florida sun is horrible on tires and batteries too.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:38 AM   #16

I use vinegar and water, a soft mop and a step ladder with the camper opened. The vinegar is gentle on the finish and cuts through the road grime. Leaves the bubble windows nice a sparkly, too.
2019 Chevy Colorado
rmebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:59 PM   #17

Great tips for cleaning the windows! The service manager at a local RV center suggested that I use paint thinner to remove the leaf stains on the camper's roof.

Has anyone else used paint thinner to remove leaf stains or tree sap?
Old 09-09-2015, 06:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegKen View Post
Great tips for cleaning the windows! The service manager at a local RV center suggested that I use paint thinner to remove the leaf stains on the camper's roof.

Has anyone else used paint thinner to remove leaf stains or tree sap?
Doesn't sound right especially if the roof is rubber. I would think it would damage the rubber and make it break down .
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:51 AM   #19

My A-frame has a fiberglass roof.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #20

Washing the roof of an A-frame

I have huge white pines by my driveway that drip "globs" of sap on the trailer. After talking with an auto detailing person, I use just a dab of acetone on a soft rag and that removes the sap quickly. I then put another dab of paste wax over the spot. Works for me.

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, frame, roo, roof