Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #1

Wastewater totes? Which one to buy?

I own a Flagstaff T12RB and I need to purchase a waste-water tote for my sink to drain into. I am not sure what size I need or which brand is better suited for my needs; Barker, and Thetford or Tote-N-store.
I prefer a tank that is easy to operate, hookup & drain and does not take up a lot room when traveling.
Under $115.00

Thank you
"The only journey is the one within."
— Rainer Maria Rilke
beyond-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Always Learning

I've heard nothing but good about the Barker totes. I don't have any, but that's what I would buy if I were in the market.

The size is a challenge - I'd likely debate between a size big enough to handle a whole tank at once vs. one that is smaller and easier to handle. Remember, water weighs 8 pounds per gallon.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #3

I have a big Barker wheeled tote and rarely use it. I mostly use Aqutainers. The reasons are, 1) with a 7 gallon capacity they can be carried by hand, 2) they can be emptied in a toilet at the bath house instead of at the dump station, 3) they can be packed home full and emptied there if needed, 4) you can have one hooked up while emptying a full container, 5) volume is volume, but several containers are more flexible to pack, 6) a seven gallon Aquatainer is $13 at Walmart, much cheaper on a cost per gallon basis.

You can view some ways to use Aquatainers along with the best collection of popup mods I've seen, in the Oz and Us photo album.

Particularly in this image.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Always Learning

I didn't realize that I was in the A-Frame forum. I wholeheartedly agree with Tom/Pooneil. The Aquatainers are a great product.

And, the Oz and Us mods are awesome. I followed a lot of his stuff when I had my 2001 Coleman Niagara GTE. He is/was an active poster over on Popup Explorer. I found that to be a great resource when I had my PUP. In fact, it was there that I started learning about checking tire pressure and whatnot.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #5

You are welcomed to hang with us "little guys," ependydad.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Always Learning

Ha, thanks. The problem comes in when I suggest a barker tote thinking the Op has a 20+ gallon tank vs. a 10 gallon or less thank (guessing here).

I visited an Outdoor World park one time in our Coleman pop-up. It's a smaller place, lots of seasonal folks but super friendly. We were known by our daughter (very outgoing and supposedly cute bossy) but more so as "the family in THE pop-up". We were lost in the midst of the land of huge fifth wheels and motorhomes. A year later, we went back in our huge fifth wheel...
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #7

And whatever you get, make sure it has a towing handle with a tongue long enough to be comfortable. It'll wear you out dragging it across a campground to dump station.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Mostly Harmless

I go along with Tom and others recommending the Aquatainers. If all there is is the sink drain, anything else is overkill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1076113454.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	33560

The hose normally extends into the Aquatainers but I'm parked on a hillside this time.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #9

That is a tricky way to avoid having to empty it, hamguy.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond-there View Post
I own a Flagstaff T12RB and I need to purchase a waste-water tote for my sink to drain into. I am not sure what size I need or which brand is better suited for my needs; Barker, and Thetford or Tote-N-store.
I prefer a tank that is easy to operate, hookup & drain and does not take up a lot room when traveling.
Under $115.00

Thank you
Hello,

I have two 35 gal +/- wheeled totes sitting up in the rafters of my garage.
They've been there for a couple years.

Anymore if we camp with no hookups it’s usually at a bluegrass festival & we can make it the 3-4 days on our 5ers black/gray tank capacity.

I was just thinking a couple weeks ago, how could I get rid of those things. They’re yours (free) if you come pick them up or pay for the shipping. I’d guess shipping would be about $20-$30 each.

PM me if interested & we can work out the details.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #11

I use tote-n-stor 15 gallon use to use a couple of 5 gallon jugs but got tired of emptying it ever day. The 15 gallon suits me when dry camping I know that when its filled I need to refill my water tank. At state parks or hooked to shore water I only need to empty it before leaving after a weekend.
RenFaire Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post
I go along with Tom and others recommending the Aquatainers. If all there is is the sink drain, anything else is overkill.

The hose normally extends into the Aquatainers but I'm parked on a hillside this time.
I was going to use a plastic gas can, but I wasn't sure if it work. I did not know about Aquatainers until now
"The only journey is the one within."
— Rainer Maria Rilke
beyond-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #13

Aquatainers/gascans are fine ... no issues, much smaller to empty .. and after all ... we all only have a max of 26 gallons of water ... unless of course you are hooked to a water outlet.

d-mo
Old 06-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #14

Relative to gas cans, aquatainers lying about don't scare the local constabulary.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #15

most campgrounds prefer people to empty grey water into a container than on the ground ... so most likely you will not have any problems with a gas can or two .. i have seen worse ...
depending on how many times you like to empty .. and if you like to tow your waste water to a tanking area .. aqua-Ts are a great start.

d-mo

happy camping ... d-mo
Old 06-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
Always Learning

For my pop-up, I used a 90-degree fitting and then just drained our sink water into a 5-gallon bucket. I'd carry it to the bathhouse and dump it in a toilet. Our camper potty was the cassette kind and I'd drive the cassette to the dump station as needed.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #17

I had the thetford. It is very heavy and not easily stored. We only used if a few times with our pop up because it was just much easier to get full hook up and yes we were in the middle of the big rigs, but I was set up before they could park.
Equalizer 12000

Campcation Days This Year: Not nearly enough!!!!
Campcation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #18

I thought about a 'turd hearse' but the fact that getting one big enough to empty the entire grey tank or black tank would cost big $$ and be heavy as hell to lug across unimproved terrain up to the truck to drive to the dump station was just not worth the investment. As somebody puts it...'your mileage may vary' Good luck.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For my pop-up, I used a 90-degree fitting and then just drained our sink water into a 5-gallon bucket. I'd carry it to the bathhouse and dump it in a toilet. Our camper potty was the cassette kind and I'd drive the cassette to the dump station as needed.
The cassettes are the best for our small campers. Easy to work with and unlike holding tanks, they can be emptied at the bathhouse or at home. I do miss having one in my Aframe.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamguy1 View Post

Attachment 33560

What did you use for the hose attachements to the grey water opening. Wondering how i can set this up myself. Sizes of connectors etc would be beneficial.

Thanks
ldurland is offline   Reply With Quote