Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #1

Water coming in around the Furnace vent.

I just got a Rockwood A213 2 weeks ago and the other evening it rained real hard and water was pouring in around the bottom of the outside furnace vent.Water was coming in by the converter and under the refrigerator.I was soaking up water till midnight,Has anyone had any leaking like this on your rockwood ?
CampingMyLifeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #2

At times RVs leak not matter what the make or model. If you know where the water is coming from seal that area post your fix so others can learn from your experience.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:23 AM   #3

I'm pretty sure it's coming from around the bottom pipe which is plastic.The top one is metal which i think is the hot one ?Can someone tell me how to post pics in here ? When i try i get a window asking for URL.
CampingMyLifeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #4

When you post a reply or a new post, scroll down below the post box you write in. There will be a section called Additional Options. Within that section, there is a title called Attach Files. Click Manage Attachments below that heading. A new box will pop up. Choose your pic files with the choose file button. After the file selections don't forget to hit the Upload button before closing. That's it. Close that box and then type in your post. The pics should be there.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #5

Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcangler View Post
When you post a reply or a new post, scroll down below the post box you write in. There will be a section called Additional Options. Within that section, there is a title called Attach Files. Click Manage Attachments below that heading. A new box will pop up. Choose your pic files with the choose file button. After the file selections don't forget to hit the Upload button before closing. That's it. Close that box and then type in your post. The pics should be there.
Or, if you reply using "Quote", you will already be in Advanced Mode. Click the paperclip icon. After that, follow the instructions above.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMyLifeAway View Post
I'm pretty sure it's coming from around the bottom pipe which is plastic.The top one is metal which i think is the hot one ?Can someone tell me how to post pics in here ? When i try i get a window asking for URL.
We had water coming exactly where you describe, we called it the trout stream. But where it was entering the camper took a long time to figure out. Here's a detailed description of what we went through: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-142690-2.html (Post #17)

Hope you get it figured out!
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #7

We just had the problem recently with our one year owned twin bed model. Went in to check after an unusually hard rain that was blowing almost sideways and found rugs soaked but couldn't tell where the water came from that time. A few days later, more hard driving rain and since I hadn't put the rugs back down it looked like it was coming from under the fridge, but it was just a little. I opened all the drawers and cabinets to hopefully help it dry out. What I don't understand is that particular part of the outside of the camper is right up next to but not touching some tall dense evergreen shrubbery that should have protected it somewhat. I checked everywhere else and all was dry.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #8

Well I have no clue where the reply I thought I was posting in here went but I could use some advice. I have been trying to track the leak, finally got a hard rain today and had been hanging out in the camper to see where it started. It's coming in under the front wall at the floor. I have never see any indication of water in the front storage box, but can it somehow get in beween that and the interior wall? I am worried about the subfloor under the linoleum type flooring (or whatever it actually is) trying to upload a couple pics but not working so well on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181023_151424530.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	189850   Click image for larger version

Name:	15403315001645792014062357532839.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	466.1 KB
ID:	189851  
Old 10-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #9

I finally managed to track down the location of the leak we've been dealing with, the culprit seems to be badly placed weather stripping under the front corner. It's wicking the water into the storage area with the pullout bin and then from there, it runs into the interior of the camper. Waiting to hear back from the dealer after sending pics a few minutes ago. They've been very helpful in giving me ideas of where to check but this one I found on my own with the help of the garden hose. I am not inclined to drive out of state to the dealer for something that hopefully should be a simple fix. I am not sure what would be best to use on it to fix it. I don't know if Eternabond would stick to the various materials under there or if I should use a brush on liquid rubber type sealant. Any ideas anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181031_084311497_2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	190452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181031_084219234-crop.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	190453  

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
Old 11-01-2018, 04:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlspencer View Post
... badly placed weather stripping under the front corner... Any ideas anyone?
We've never been back to the dealer, but we did drop our camper off at Forest River for a week. (It's about 100 miles south of us.) They determined our leak was a manufacturing defect and they did a fantastic job fixing it.

If you've read the forums for any amount of time, you know dealers can vary greatly in their customer service, so if you have a good dealer, they might be able to work with Forest River and save you some driving.

It's hard to tell from your photos, but maybe you could fix it yourself for a lot less hassle. I think half of the battle is knowing exactly where the leak is and I think you have that figured out.

I am not sure, but I have read that the subfloor is some kind of (exterior/marine?) grade OSB. It's kind of crazy to look under the camper and see OSB right where spray from the tires would soak it, but others here have said it's pretty good material. Maybe that would slow down the deterioration?

I do know the pressed sawdust making up the dinette is worthless. Keep water away from that at all costs! It gets past that nice woodgrain vinyl and it melts and swells. Forest River replaced our entire dinette because of the water damage.
2014 Tacoma Double Cab
My YouTube Channel
Days Camped 2016/2017/2018/2019: 98/106/109/73
MinneweeseMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneweeseMI View Post
We've never been back to the dealer, but we did drop our camper off at Forest River for a week. (It's about 100 miles south of us.) They determined our leak was a manufacturing defect and they did a fantastic job fixing it.

If you've read the forums for any amount of time, you know dealers can vary greatly in their customer service, so if you have a good dealer, they might be able to work with Forest River and save you some driving.

It's hard to tell from your photos, but maybe you could fix it yourself for a lot less hassle. I think half of the battle is knowing exactly where the leak is and I think you have that figured out.

I am not sure, but I have read that the subfloor is some kind of (exterior/marine?) grade OSB. It's kind of crazy to look under the camper and see OSB right where spray from the tires would soak it, but others here have said it's pretty good material. Maybe that would slow down the deterioration?

I do know the pressed sawdust making up the dinette is worthless. Keep water away from that at all costs! It gets past that nice woodgrain vinyl and it melts and swells. Forest River replaced our entire dinette because of the water damage.
Robert's Sales in Denver is where we got it, they are freaking awesome and have been very helpful via email trying to help me track it down. I just don't want to drive there from where we live in NM for something probably simple. I decided to go ahead and try some spray rubber sealant and will go at it a little at a time to build it up. And YES it's very disconcerting to see "wood" under there knowing it gets wet all the time! Everything inside actually looks ok and I am guessing it's because for one reason or another, the few times it's got water in it, there has been something in there soaking it up, twice it was rugs and this third time when we realized it wasn't from outside vents or the roof, I actually spent the night out there, it rained all night, and I was up off and on swapping out soaked for dry towels. That was what enabled me to narrow down the entry, and the rest we figured out with the hose. Spending the next few days building up a good coating of the sealant, fingers crossed.

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
Old 11-04-2018, 08:58 AM   #12

If possible that joint should be opened and dried. Don’t want to be the fly in the ointment but the rot will continue without you unless arrested. Just food for thought. Dealer or factory would do that-dry or renew.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, vent, water