Old 05-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #11
World Traveler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Having trouble trying to get the water canister off with the wrench provided by Forest River so I can insert the water filter. Anyone ever have a problem getting the thing off, its full of water probably over a quart and when trying to unscrew the thing with a the plastic wrench I can hear a cracking sound and stopped fearing ripping the thing off of the mount which is only 4 screws. I am turning the canister to the left to unscrew I assume lefty loosey righty tighty but have ran into times when this was not the case. Anyone know how can I get the water out of the canister which might help make it easier to remove?
When I got my A frame new I had to install the filter and it was a pain and it leaked until I got it on right and tight without breaking it!! If I ever have to replace it I might just remove it and use a hose with a inline filter to put water into the tank it is a Lot easier to use.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #12

Thanks for all the reply's I tried opening the facet's and applying even pressure but after several attempts that cracking sound I heard was not the canister nor teeth it was the wood mount being ripped from the wall. It was only glued to the wall. And it was not Righty tighty Lefty Loosey but Righty loosey and Lefty breaky I found out later. After removing the lines and working on the canister on the bench with no luck I took it to the dealer ( Much grinning can you believe this guy couldn't get a jar of peanut butter open.) First attempt they couldn't get it open either they had to put it in a vice to twist the thing off. After they got it open and I returned home I opened the new filter to install and it read Hand Tighten Only! DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN! which is probably what I was doing in the beginning but after the install I marked the way to loosen and no leaks so far lesson learned and I am singing Rogers and Hammerstein's Getting to know you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160503_101839.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	106828   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160503_132723.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	106829  

Rockwood A214HW
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:02 AM   #13

This is what became of my water filter. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140531_125409.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	106851  

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
This is what became of my water filter. Lol
Thats the same one that I have. Works great and I just use one of the blue Camco filters from Wal Mart.

2016 A122 SXR (New)

2016 Toyota Tacoma DCLB
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #15

Water Filter Cannister

The way I see it, ya got four choices: (1)keep the in-line filter, which means you'll have to struggle with it every season when you winterize the camper (2) take the filter out and leave it out, which still leaves the same winterizing issue as above because you'll have to dump the canister, (3) buy one of the Camco blue filters, install it, then sit back, have a beer and forget about it (4) take the whole affair out, canister and all, and connect the inlet and outlet lines together, as if there had never been a canister in there which is what I did. Each option has its own issues. Incidentally, righty-tighty, lefty-loosey is correct and that's the way you drew your arrow!

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
Incidentally, righty-tighty, lefty-loosey is correct and that's the way you drew your arrow!

Kdot
Thanks Kdot
Yeah looking at it now your right. After looking at the picture which was taken pointing towards the front of the trailer I realize I was leaning over the canister from the other way trying to remove it from the other side which lead to my already newbie confusion. I might go ahead and remove the thing totally before winter. What did you use to connect the IN and OUT side of the line? Would standard sink hose work? Thanks again

Rockwood A214HW
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #17
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Thanks Kdot
Yeah looking at it now your right. After looking at the picture which was taken pointing towards the front of the trailer I realize I was leaning over the canister from the other way trying to remove it from the other side which lead to my already newbie confusion. I might go ahead and remove the thing totally before winter. What did you use to connect the IN and OUT side of the line? Would standard sink hose work? Thanks again
Looking at your picture, you have swivel fittings connecting the plumbing lines to the filter. All you would need is a 1/2" pipe nipple the approximate length of the width of the filter housing. Unscrew the lines from the filter, screw them back onto the nipple and you are done.

Mine was hard plumbed into the filter so I wound up having to cut the fittings off the line and then splice the two lines with a PEX coupler.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #18

I find it kind of interesting that both "tighten" and "loosen" had to be annotated on the canister. Just kidding.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #19

Water Filter Cannister

Vinnie, take a look at what Handbuilder did (No. 13 in the responses). I did much the same thing. I took photos of what was under the sink, took them to the hardware store and they fixed me up with what I needed to do it. Good luck!

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #20

I found through personal experience that the FR filter units have one very significant flaw. If you install them without a filter unit in place there is a tendency to overtighten them which destroys the locking mechanism. I found this out since FR ships them with the filter removed and...they then overtighten them which destroys the locking mechanism. They will still seal with the locks broken but they will just unscrew when the pressure comes up. I used mine in that mode for almost six months by leaving the wrench on the cannister and tying it to the drain valve with a piece of string.

FR could also save themselves a lot of trouble by placing a sticker on the filter housing which says "relieve pressure before opening." Bad design...terrible design!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter