Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #1

Water Heater bypass

I previously had a big TT and the dealer showed me a bypass valve setup to avoid filling the water heater if we were not going to use it. I was wondering about the heater in my Flagstaff and found the valves hidden under the screwed down cover over the furnace/water heater/inverter compartment. Guess they don't want us to mess with them.....
hawkeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyez View Post
I previously had a big TT and the dealer showed me a bypass valve setup to avoid filling the water heater if we were not going to use it. I was wondering about the heater in my Flagstaff and found the valves hidden under the screwed down cover over the furnace/water heater/inverter compartment. Guess they don't want us to mess with them.....
I don't believe "they don't want us to mess with them." is the reason. If you search here, you will find many posts regarding these valves and their locations.

You probably got a poor PDI when you received your Flagstaff. But you will see that this valve is usually, but not always, located close to the WH and are sometimes labeled. There should be a group of three valves - one on the water inlet line to the WH, one on the water outlet line from the WH and the third one being the WH bypass valve.

On my Silverback FW, all three are out in the open in the water servicing compartment, but as stated before, they can be almost anywhere.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Mostly Harmless

It's quite alright to mess with the bypass valves. I believe the cover was screwed down to keep it from bouncing around in transport. Mine had only one screw in it and the mechanic who did my PDI didn't bother to put it back in. Putting a couple of hinges on that cover makes opening it a one handed operation
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Site Team

pretty common on TT's to have stuff, inside a cabinet and behind a cover.

5th wheels and MH's have room to have it all on a panel but TT's generally don't, since they don't have basements.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

I think the poor PDI is part of it. The hinges sound like a great idea. I only saw two valves, but will look for the third, was trying to figure out an electrical issue at a campground and just noticed the valves. Got a few more questions but will post those separately. Thanks all.
hawkeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Flagstaff 22FBS

There are three. Here's a photo of what ours looks like. (psst: We didn't put the screws back the cover in either.)

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote