Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

water lines freezing while boondocking?

Hi everyone,

I would like some advice about dealing with below-freezing temperatures while boondocking. We have a 2013 Rockwood 122S. In a few weeks, my wife and I will be camping in the east side of the Sierra Nevada near Mammoth Lakes, CA. In previous years, the temperature has gotten down into the low 20 degrees Fahrenheit during the night at 9000 feet. I'm concerned about water lines freezing and breaking. The outside shower lines look particularly vulnerable.

Thanks!
2013 Rockwood A122S
elmonsanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

Do not use the water system of your rig, bring jugs of fresh water instead and do the following in these threads

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...22s-31541.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-29237.html

Good Luck!
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #3

water lines freezing while boon docking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko777 View Post
Do not use the water system of your rig, bring jugs of fresh water instead...
It's no problem using water jugs for this trip, but I would like to avoid winterizing the water system. This trip will be the only time during the year that the trailer will be in freezing conditions. During September, the weather in the Eastern Sierra is usually warm during the day and slipping into the mid-20's during the night. If we winterize the water system for this trip, we'll just have to de-winterize it after the trip. It seems like it might be possible to drain the water tank and then stuff some kind of insulating material around the water lines to keep them from freezing. Has anyone tried this? Thanks!
2013 Rockwood A122S
elmonsanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #4

You could do a compressed air "winterization" of the freshwater lines and just remove the outside shower hose completely. If you are running a heater, the inside lines should stay above freezing while you are occupying the camper, leaving just the draw tube from the freshwater tank exposed. Theoretically.

OTOH, it's not necessarily a good idea to winterization advice from a guy who lives in Houston and has never winterized.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

I have just used compressed air to blow out my lines last early spring after a short camping trip and it worked great. I have a friend that he never uses RV antifreeze he just uses air. I have seen the adapter that you can use at Walmart and Menards for about $5.00. I set my compressor to only 30lbs so I do not hurt the water lines. This winter I will use air first then fill my lines with RV antifreeze.

I am from Michigan its colder here than Texas. lol
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #6

I agree with the blow out method, I used this process last winter and temperature in Toronto got to under -25 Celsius. I had no problems and it is so easy to get back to normal use of the water system. Your challenge is to bypass the hot water tank and empty it, also the filter glass/plastic too and then blow all the all water out from your lines.

I use anti-freeze in the sink drain pipe, not much there.

Have fun!
ko777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Arn
Arn

I have camped at 18 degrees with no trouble. I assume you'll be using your furnace so the interior will be heated. Leave all cupboard doors open if there is a water line in there so the heat from your trailer will get to the lines. If you're concerned about the outside shower, remove the shower head (they usually just screw off) and let the line drain. If you are using your water heater make sure to run hot water every so often to keep extra heat in the lines. You can't beat cold weather camping.

Tags
water