Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #1

Water not coming out of faucet

Just got back from a weekend of camping. When we set up, we filled the fresh water tank and turned pump and hot water heater on. The pump was making noise like it was working, but water would dribble out of faucet. The pump stayed on for a while so I shut it off and on again. Eventuall it worked.

When I got home, I put city water in the tank to flush the lines, and it did the same thing except this time the pump would run continuously but no water would come out.

The water comes out when hooked up directly to a water source, but not when using the pump. Checked fuse and seems fine. The pump just seems to keep running but no water.

Any ideas before I call the dealership? Trailer is only a month old and it has worked fine until now.

Thanks

Carl
isthisidused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Suspect the filter on the water pump itself is plugged with debris.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Suspect the filter on the water pump itself is plugged with debris.
Thanks, will check that. I looked at it and it seemed clear through the plastic, but I should take it off and check.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:05 PM   #4

Check that your pump suction valve is lined up to the fresh water tank and not to the anti-freeze fill connection.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Check that your pump suction valve is lined up to the fresh water tank and not to the anti-freeze fill connection.
I haven't touched that since I got the trailer, could something cause the valve to close on it's own? Can't hurt to give it a try I guess.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:54 AM   #6

Quote:
There is no such valve on an A-frame at time of production. And most A-frame owners are unlikely to install another opening into their vehicle side on their own.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #7

Does your water system have a valve for winterizing system? If so, could it be set on the winterize position and not the normal position.

Duane
2011 Toyota Tundra V8 iForce 5.7 381HP 4.10 gears 6 speed automatic

2016 Crusader 295RST FW
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #8

I experienced the same problem with regard to the pump and found the suction filter (at the pump) was plugged. Looking thru the housing it looked clean, but once removed and cleaned normal water pressure was returned.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:49 AM   #9
Site Team

The pump running all the time means that it's not priming.

Sine you say it's worked previously and you've not changed anything, I suspect either a fitting on the suction side of the pump has come loose, or the suction strainer on the pump is clogged up. It could possibly be a defective pump, but check the most likely stuff first.

Check the fittings between the pump suction and the fresh water tank. Then remove the suction strainer and check it for debris.

The suction strainer will either be like the one below, or it'll be a small screen in the end of the fitting on the pump.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #10

Thanks for all the great an quick responses. I am going to look at these things hopefully tonight, before contacting the dealership. Will let you know how it goes.
Carl
Old 08-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #11

This happend to me a while back. My guess is that the pump was left on and one of the low point valves was leaking. So the pump gradually emptied the tank over a few weeks sitting at home. When I got to camp next time, the pump was not priming.

After disconnecting the intake filter, I put my hand to the intake. There was no suction. So I replaced the pump and swore to turn off the switch every time I break camp.

I swore a few other things to, but no need to repeat those.

Replacing is easy enough if that is what you need. Pipe up if you have any questions about it.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #12

This is not entirely related however my wife and I are Snowbirds (from Ontario). We go to Arizona every winter where we have a stored 37 foot
TT. Every year we have to remove the faucets & clean them due to the
hard water. Some faucets(not mine) have "filters" inside the legs for the
hot & cold hook ups which have to be removed and cleaned. Many people
are unaware of that.
So my point is cleaning the filters is something you should do yearly.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #13

Quote:
X2
Apparently my A128s DOES have a valve that allows a connect to anti-freeze for winterizing. This is located on the tank just above the drain valve. If the valve is set to that connector rather than to the fresh water tank, it will only suck air into the water line.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:05 AM   #14

Dirt in the pump

Our houseboat didn't come with a filter, and eventually some sand got into the pump. Shurflo pumps are diaphragm pumps and can pump empty without damage. Ours got sand in the diaphragm, and I had to take it apart to clean it. Not a difficult job. If you have a filter, it could just be clogged. Another possibility, is sand in the screen at the faucet. Most pumps are 45 to 50 psi, and our house pressure is 70, so it could force water through at the higher pressure. Just unscrew the end on the faucet to check. I've been amazed at how much sand is in our water system at home.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #15

Finally got around to taking a look to see what the issue was. Thanks again for all the tips. I checked the filter and it was good, checked the antifreeze line and it was good, checked the faucet screen and it was good. Finally unhooked both sides of the pump and tried it and there was no suction or blowing so the pump is hooped. Will call the dealership and I assume they won't have a problem replacing a 6 week old pump.

Tags
faucet, water