Old 08-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #11

I believe I do have a spare breaker and I have a 15 amp receptacle in the carport for lawn stuff. I need to keep that capability for the weed eater. I have an electrician coming Wed to give me an estimate. He will have to run conduit from carport to breaker box which is about 30 feet away through the attic space, darn it. I printed out the link someone sent yesterday as to what is needed for RV service/single breaker.
Hope it doesn't cost a fortune: spose I could live without it but would make life so much easier to test stuff before heading out for trips.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #12

You can possibly use a 15 amp circuit at home as long as it doesn't have any other load and you don't try to test out the microwave and the Coolcat at the same time. Check the voltage at the camper to be sure the run isn't too long.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #13

Problem is I think the outlet is tied to other baseboard outlets in the house. Guess I could check the breaker box, sort it out, but likely I will go ahead with a separate 30A service install though pricy!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #14

Stop and think about this a minute Would you run a battery charger from the outlet, would you run a window AC from this outlet, would you run a Microwave from this outlet, would you run a heater from this outlet, I am guessing that you would. Would you run them all at the same time from this outlet, only if you wanted to trip a breaker or worst.
I am careful what I turn on, and have no problem plunging the trailer in to a 20 amp outlet. Since we have such small trailer ( A Frame) it is easy to know what all is on, With a bigger trailer I would not do this.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
Stop and think about this a minute Would you run a battery charger from the outlet, would you run a window AC from this outlet, would you run a Microwave from this outlet, would you run a heater from this outlet, I am guessing that you would. Would you run them all at the same time from this outlet, only if you wanted to trip a breaker or worst.
I am careful what I turn on, and have no problem plunging the trailer in to a 20 amp outlet. Since we have such small trailer ( A Frame) it is easy to know what all is on, With a bigger trailer I would not do this.
Actually I am very careful running anything around this house as it is OLD.
The one time I tried to plug in the camper to 15 amp/baseboard type service/ in carport with nothing running, a fuse blew in the camper, not a breaker/ still don't know why. All I use it for now is the Weed eater.That's why I am considering a new 30A service for the carport. Don't have the electrical safety skills/general health to install it myself, so will be rather expensive job since the home panel is two rooms away from the carport. I just want the assurance that my camper battery can be kept topped off and if I want to work inside the camper when it is 90+ outside, like today, I will be able to run A/C to reduce heat/humidity.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #16

Sounds like the best plan for your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeFanatic View Post
and if I want to work inside the camper
Read "nap" at this house.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #17

Make sure the electrician knows to wire it as a single-phase 120V RV outlet... one hot, one neutral, one ground. Otherwise, if wired as 30A/240V, you may let the magic smoke out of the stuff in your RV. I'm sure wmtire will give the link for the RV outlet wiring chart to give the electrician.

They're pretty easy to install but with a bad back, probably not. They sell an Eaton outdoor box with the right 30A receptacle at Lowes for about $45. A 30A single pole breaker is less than $15. I would recommend 8 guage for that length especially since you said you want to be able to run the A/C in Florida. Its hard to find 8/2 cable so I bought individual black/white/green wires and ran them in continuous conduit from panel to box (you'll probably need a bit of conduit on the outside end anyway unless its really pricey outdoor armored cable).

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #18

I showed him the print out of required installation specs and he said he was aware of the needs. My panel is adequate, so the biggest problem is getting it through the attic to panel. Do have a crawl space in carport near the area so that will help. I want to get a second estimate, but so far, second one has not returned my call so he's out of the picture. Gotta do another BBB search.

Tags
electric, electrical, hot water, pressure, water