Old 08-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Water pressure/hot water/home electrical

Still pretty much a newbie here: Last trip Nov, 2014 thanks to back problems, but had no hot water, couldn"t figure out why not. Also had problems with heat pump cycling off rather than staying on for cool night so am planning a trip to the dealer with my FR T12 RB Flagstaff A frame. Now getting ready to go out again next month, so hooked up my home city water so I could test hot water heater at home, but despite high water pressure, only getting a light trickle in the camper? now I am afraid to test the water heater til I get this sorted out.
I did not use my pressure regulator this eve, just a quick hook up and ran the water. Air rushed out, then water went to a trickle. I have a Valterra regulator I use at camp grounds with no problems. Does the regulator actually promote a higher water flow, if used like I should have today at home?
Also, what kind of an electrical setup do I need at home so I can plug in occasionally to test things out on my own? Does a 30 amp plug cost much to install at home? Fuse box is about 50 feet from carport.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you checked your winterization bypass valves behind the water heater, to make sure they are in the correct position?

hot water heater

Hot Water

Water heater won't fill

Can't get hot water! 2010 Roo 21SS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Not sure if you are having trouble with both hot and cold flow . If it is just hot, When you turn on the hot water on a properly functioning water system that has been drained, it takes a while for hot water to come out of the spigot, You have to fill 6 gallons of the water heater before you will get water out. If still no water , check the strainer in the end of the spigot as the small screen in it can become clogged with gunk from the water system

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #4

I don"t winterize so no issues there. I wonder if not using the regulator somehow slowed the flow of water to the sink. The trickle is the same for both hot and cold faucets. With such a slow flow I can't be sure the water heater will get full enough to turn on the electric switch/propane to see if all is well now or not.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Check the spigot screen. Just unscrew it

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #6

Tomorrow I will double check the inline valves under sink and also flip the pressure relief valve to see if there is any water in the heater at all. Then I will hook up again, this time with water regulator on hose to test again. My back just doesn't appreciate all the increased activity today, but I am determined to go camping in October...
Old 08-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #7

..........., it takes a while for hot water to come out of the spigot, You have to fill 6 gallons of the water heater before you will get water out. If still no water , check the strainer in the end of the spigot as the small screen in it can become clogged with gunk from the water system[/QUOTE]

So you are saying to leave the hot side open for several minutes at the trickle? Seems like I should have regular pressure on the cold faucet regardless, and it is slow too.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #8

Also try putting water in your tank and trying that.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #9

Well I solved my water problem, thanks to you all. I pulled out/used my water regulator, and then when the flow was still a trickle, I removed the faucet filter and sure enough that was the issue. I played with it, got out the minimal white crystal and ran faucets without it ( they were fine ) then put it on again, and flow had returned to normal, yea!! Then I ran hot till steady flow, turned on the water heater/propane and about 10 minutes later I had hot water ( that was a separate issue ). As for the old problem of getting the heat pump to work right, I think that was operator error as I have read ALL my manuals to refresh myself. I don't think I will need to go in for service now that I have identified my issues! and I can look forward to camping in SC later this Fall. Florida is too warm and has too many ticks for my dogs to deal with! Had to recall what runs on DC vs AC to complete my review. Thanks to all who contributed suggestions.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #10

adding 30 amp

You will need a spare breaker in the box or get one that matches (30 amp single pole) 10/2 Romex to reach and what ever you want for a junction box ( inside or outdoors ) and the right receptacle (punch your plug thru a piece of cardboard so you can match it up). About $60 for all assuming you can surface wire it all, not feed it thru walls. Everything available at Lowes and HD. Check online @ Lowes, I did mine 3 years ago so prices may have gone up.

Tags
electric, electrical, hot water, pressure, water