Old 09-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #31

As far as I know (definitely on my A-frame), there are no valves or lines for feeding anti-freeze mix on the A-frames.
Many times, the advice from non-A-frame RV owners is sound. But there are also plenty of instances where the A-frame systems are different enough that advice from folks who have no experience with A-frames is just wrong. Look in the signature to see what kind of RV they own before you blindly accept the advice as pertinent to your A-frame. End Quote............

I totally agree with you and my early posts repeatedly asked responders to identify their camper ( many newbies have not yet added a proper signature ). I had a pup before this A frame and they are very similar but neither type is like the large self contained campers.
What threw me about this pump was that it was so quiet running. With cubby door closed, I didn't hear it I guess, though surely I must have opened that door yesterday at some point. So today I bought the multi tester, opened camper door, turned on pump switch, took probe out, opened door, and lo and behold I heard the very quiet motor. Maybe it runs louder with water running through it, but don't know yet. I did learn from the manual that we don't really winterize these things and they get sanitized simply by pouring in some bleach, swishing and dumping it. The clear tube confused me as under the camper, I could see some slimy gray stuff in it which seems to indicate air was present ( attached at top of tank , threaded up thru floor and out the wall to intake port of camper) so not a drain per se. So finally I find that clear tube is not attached to the pump at all, is only an air vent while filling the tank. On outside fitting is a very small screen at the edge to let air out at the tank fill hole. I heard a rush of air while filling tank yesterday. So, after all this chatter today, I will ( my son )pull the pump tomorrow and look at the diaphragm as suggested by Shur Flo service dept on the phone. Only hope that helps because the pump intake has no suction when finger/napkin placed against it.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
If you have a air compressor you could try blowing out the line. The clear tube laying behind the pump may will be the intake hose to winterize the RV.
These A frames do not get winterized the same way as bigger campers.
The clear tube is a vent to release air while filling the under floor water reserve tank.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeFanatic View Post
This is one of the fittings, though not the one with gunk in it. Pliers don't seem to work to open the fitting. How to remove the metal band?
The screw on clear filter under the sink is clean.
With that type of line, it is hard to tell Gunk on from gunk in so I would not mess with those nice tight factory fittings unless you determine that the pump if sucking hard enough to prime and the line is just not putting water through. Then I think I would blow it out backwards from the pump screw on fitting rather than opening tight factory fittings.

Good luck
Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
On my A122, there is a valve between the water tank and the pump located just inside the sink cabinet at front left corner. It may be a low point drain, but in any case I had to change it's position to get water flowing through the pump.

As far as I know (definitely on my A-frame), there are no valves or lines for feeding anti-freeze mix on the A-frames.

Many times, the advice from non-A-frame RV owners is sound. But there are also plenty of instances where the A-frame systems are different enough that advice from folks who have no experience with A-frames is just wrong. Look in the signature to see what kind of RV they own before you blindly accept the advice as pertinent to your A-frame.

In my A122, white, clear, blue pex (cold), and red pex (hot) lines are used for fresh water plumbing. Red and blue are used to feed the hot water heater, the sink faucet, and the outside shower (the only fixtures I have). Clear/white lines are used from the tank to the pump, tank fill, and city water connection. Unfortunately, installing wiring or water lines according to standard color code is not a priority in Forest River A-frame manufacturing - you may see incorrect color codes.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
next trip: Lincoln, Nebraska
Here's how to winterize the unit.
Winterizing Your Flagstaff Camping Trailer | Roberts Sales - Denver, Colorado

Roberts Sales ONLY sells popups and A-frames. Systems are almost identical, biggest variance is between having just a sink and having a sink and a bath.

You winterize through the water pump inlet; no extra opening or fitting required. , I pull the inlet line from the water pump, add a short piece of hose from the pump to a bottle of anti-freeze and let the pump suck it through, into the water heater, then out of the faucets and drains; then drain the water tank. I bet it is the same idea with those A-frames with no bathrooms.

This guy will drop out and never try and add any useful information again to any A-frame forum!

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

Seeing that your from FL I am guessing not much winterizing is needed. But, when your son takes apart the pump have him clean it well. a few months ago my pump stopped working. It was pumping and had water in it but was not flowing. It was also not shitting off when the pressure built as it should have. Turned out it was a piece of grit stuck in the valve, holding it open and basically the water just kept churning in the pump but not flowing.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Seeing that your from FL I am guessing not much winterizing is needed. But, when your son takes apart the pump have him clean it well. a few months ago my pump stopped working. It was pumping and had water in it but was not flowing. It was also not shitting off when the pressure built as it should have. Turned out it was a piece of grit stuck in the valve, holding it open and basically the water just kept churning in the pump but not flowing.
There is the number one problem I have found in mine and others , but mine has been better since I put the Shure line filter-- Really just sand collector-- ahead of the pump and started being more careful with the water I put in the tank. I try to never fill up at the beach where their wells seem to pull up a lot of sand.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #37
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
There is the number one problem I have found in mine and others , but mine has been better since I put the Shure line filter-- Really just sand collector-- ahead of the pump and started being more careful with the water I put in the tank. I try to never fill up at the beach where their wells seem to pull up a lot of sand.
I have the filter and still got threw... But in ten years of various trailers and a pop up first and only time. Gave me something to do on my day off.

EDIT: I have the strainer, might be different than what you are saying?

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 09-17-2015, 03:03 PM   #38

Son came over, we tried everything, primed, checked repeatedly at intake, no sucking pressure at all. Primed again, pulled out of cabinet, shook, etc etc. Opened up the pump, diaphragm was clean, motor works fine, no suction in or out. Ordered new pump. Pump runs just fine, but no suction. Water source from tank good, he sucked up to get flow, yuk. We filled the intake opening with water, doesn't go anywhere. New pump coming.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #39
Who Dares, Wins

Pumps sometimes are not much more but you can also just buy the head on some models to save the need for a whole new pump system. Had to do this twice due to me not getting winterized soon enough.

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 09-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #40

I thought about that since the motor seems fine, but why take a chance something won't line up right, so got the whole thing, Amazon, $69, here tomorrow. I already had a strainer/filter ahead of pump intake, it was clean.

Tags
pump, water, water pump