Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #1

Water-Pur

I have had the Rockwood A127TH for about 14 months. Took it out last week the Water-Pur filter housing broke in to two pieces flooding the camper. Today, I called the Water-Pur company and complained the filter housing defective. I knew it was out of warranty and only wanted to express the unit was defective. The "customer service" person told me that was due to trapped water in the threads. I explained my camper had been in storage and the filter housing did not have any water. All she would offer was to sell a $30 replacement. I declined. She hung up on me.

I called back and asked to speak to her supervisor. She called to to her supervisor and mockingly informed him I wanted to speak to him. I explained the circumstances and he blamed it on freezing conditions. I live in South Texas and we don't have frequent freezes or severe freezes. He told me the housing is labeled with a warning about freezing. I told him that no such label is on the housing, plus there is no mention of any warnings concerning freezing in the Water-Pur section of the Rockwood owner's manual.

Bottom line he claimed I was at fault and not the product.

I called Forest River and informed them of the defective filter housing and the crappy service from Water-Pur.

I'm going to eliminate this filter and connect the two water hoses with coupler.
dmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #2

That is really bad customer service. Water Pur has been in the business long enough they should have good telephone service in their bones by now, like most companies do. Letting the customer hear the meta-conversation is very bad.

My filter wasn't installed in the housing by the dealer and after reading about the issues with water pressure, I decided to leave it that way. I have't looked at the parts needed to replace it. Please let us know what you do and put a picture of the parts up.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:52 AM   #3

Poor customer service is a real issue these days, but there is little that can be done other than to take your business elsewhere and inform others of your experiences. As for the filter, I'd say an external filter would be a better choice since it won't flood you in the event of a crack or leak. The blue cartridge filters that go in-line with your external water hookups still seem like a better idea to me. Plus, you get back some storage space in the sink cabinet if you remove the Water-Pur canister.

- Randy
Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #4

If someone could make a disk that would fit on the water filter housing threads, that would eliminate the filter ... they would certainly get my business.
as for these water-pure dudes ... shame on them ... in this age of instant communications they should be very aware of how poor service can effect their business.

d-mo
Old 04-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #5

I suspect the inside filter was an idea of the marketing and/or compliance departments at FR. They seem to be the strongest forces behind RV design anyway, particularity for entry level campers appealing to first time buyers. The engineering group, it seems, balanced the cheapest way to satisfy the requirement with the easiest way for consumers to avoid the drawbacks.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #6

Water-Pur

Today I completely removed the filter fixture after disconnecting the inlet and outlet hoses. I joined the two hoses with a 1/2" x 6" SCH80 PVC nipple purchased from Ace Hardware (SKU 44076), $1.49. No installation issues. I'll connect a filter outside between the water source and the camper.

I also spoke with another Forest River rep about my experience with Water-Pur. I believe Water-Pur will be hearing from Forest River.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #7

I would love to do the same. I noticed the nipple you used is threaded. Did you have any problems inserting it in the PEX tubing? Also is the filter connected with crimp rings, and if so, how did you remove them? Once you had the nipple connected between the two pieces of hose, did you clamp them? I was thinking of clamping them with small adjustable clamps rather than going to the expense of purchasing a PEX tool and crimp rings....Thank You!!
GJCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #8

CJ, your setup may differ from mine as I didn't need to insert the nipple into either hose. My inlet and outlet hose have 1/2" threaded female ends. So all I needed to do was wrap the threaded ends of the nipple with plumber's tape and tighten the hose ends to the nipple. I've attached a photo that depicts the hose end connected to the upper portion of the filter fixture. After I completely removed the filter fixture I then connected both hoses using the nipple.

Hope this helps

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1399166749.998565.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	51532
Old 05-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #9

Thanks so much!!! I have to look at mine a little closer...if it has the threaded fittings that is the perfect solution. I just de-winterized mine, but didn't look at how it was connected. I appreciate the great tip!
GJCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #10

Thanks for the filter removal information. My A194HW has a cabinet door when opened you see the filter. I'm planning to remove the filter unit and make it external. The space will accommodate a 9x9x12 drawer used for extra storage. What a waste of space. My opinion!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #11

Filter removed 6"threaded pipe in is place. Leakage stopped Thank you for a new mod.
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #12

Thanks, glad it worked out for you

Tags
water