Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #1

Water Pur OEM water filter question.

I've read several posts regarding the OEM filter unit for leak issues and many have removed it and installed a bypass. Has anyone had GOOD luck with their's? I recently replaced the filter element in mine (A214HW). When I first tightened it, I used the wrench that came with it, snugged it, and it leaked. I removed it, inspected, saw nothing wrong, reinstalled but this time hand tightened (like an oil filter).....no leak. I went to Water Pur's site and see they sell the O rings separately for these, but no advice as to when to change. Should the O ring be replaced at the same time as the filter element to insure no leak? Could the o ring be the leak issue others have had? Seems a waste to just throw this fairly expensive unit away.
Dan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Probably wouldn't hurt to put a little smear of lube on the gasket. I use a special food safe lube on the gaskets and o-rings on my home brewing equipment. Good stuff. Something like this: https://www.kegoutlet.com/o-ring-lub...SABEgKck_D_BwE
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #3

Thanks! Great suggestion.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:40 PM   #4

Make sure the new filter element is centered. I've never had mine leak except when the filter element was not aligned some how. Also, the food safe lube is a good idea.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #5

Once with a misaligned filter also, which is easy to do with the room they allow for removal. Those filters are costly too. Have considered bypass myself and using an inline filter at point of entry.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #6

When I installed and replaced mine, seating the O-ring correctly seemed to be key to making an airtight/water tight installation. I make sure when I order replacement filters that I get O-rings with it.

I've actually had more problems getting a good seal on the threaded pump inlet - it wants to cross-thread real easily.

A full water tank is essential for the kind of camping we normally do.

Fred W
then: 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
now: 2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:52 AM   #7

You can also Super Lub,,, I think HD has it !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #8

Dan 52,you ask if anybody had "Good Luck"with their OE Filter and the answer is Yes,Lots of members have came on here and ask ,"Do I have a filter and where is our filter" ? This is After they have used thier unit for a period of time, so these OE FILTERS must not be leaking! Youroo! !
Old 10-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #9
llr

I changed mine to a standard residential housing with a bypass. Between the filter element cost and relatively course filtration in addition to the problem reports it was like an easy decision for me.

I also don't like setting up and tearing down any more things then needed so i did not want an external.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #10

Water Pur OEM water filter question.

I started using a second filter like a prefilter, and decided the cost difference didn’t equal the headache of messing with a different plan.
I fill my fresh water tank with a hose sans a filter, and let the factory system, filter the water when I turn the pump on. When hooked to city water, the filter does its thing.

I think if you use the TT/RV regularly, then yearly should be fine. The longer the system sets w/o clean freshwater being ran through the filter, I think you should start thinking about replacing it. I changed ours at the 4 year mark. Probably at the extreme end of what some folks would consider just right.
When using the TT as a place to store visitors until they wore out their welcome, I told them to use the bottled water to drink and make coffee. I heard no complaints about the shower water, after briefing them on the negative impact on future invitations, when tempted to complain.

Always check the manual to see their recommendation. Always check for leaks, when replacing the filter.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Dan 52,you ask if anybody had "Good Luck"with their OE Filter and the answer is Yes,Lots of members have came on here and ask ,"Do I have a filter and where is our filter" ? This is After they have used thier unit for a period of time, so these OE FILTERS must not be leaking! Youroo! !
Thanks for your feedback! Just for grins, I called water pur with my o ring question and low and behold...mystery solved. The reason I encountered a leak was due to the filter element NOT being installed by the dealer at delivery and here's why. When the container is tightened WITHOUT the element, it compresses the oring further in it's groove then intended. Removing the container and THEN installing the element afterwards does not allow the the container to return to it's original place hence the leak. Therefore, the o ring must be replaced. Made sense to me so I have o rings on the way. 3 years worth (3 RINGS) for $10. I really appreciate all the feedback on this issue! Thanks guys!
Old 10-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

That is good info. How long was canister installed without filter for o-ring to get that deformed?
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
That is good info. How long was canister installed without filter for o-ring to get that deformed?
Year and a 1/2.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #14

How are you going to sanitize if you are not supposed to install canister with out filter ???
I remove filter when ever I sanitize & when ever I winterize !!!
This year I bought a bypass plate to use when winterizing !!!
Old 10-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
How are you going to sanitize if you are not supposed to install canister with out filter ???
I remove filter when ever I sanitize & when ever I winterize !!!
This year I bought a bypass plate to use when winterizing !!!
From what I was told, the O ring should be changed after the canister has been in place for an extended period of time, with or without the element. I did not know my dealer didn't install the element until I went to change it and encountered a leak after putting the element in. I don't winterize being in Orlando. I'm just going to change the o ring when I change the element to be on the safe side.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan52 View Post
From what I was told, the O ring should be changed after the canister has been in place for an extended period of time, with or without the element. I did not know my dealer didn't install the element until I went to change it and encountered a leak after putting the element in. I don't winterize being in Orlando. I'm just going to change the o ring when I change the element to be on the safe side.
Smart move on your part,,, as long as you have 0 rings !!!
Or you could only change them when it leaks ???

Keep your new 0 rings sealed in plastic !!!

Tags
water, water filter