Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #1

Weatherstip issues between top and sides

I have about 14 days we've used our new hardside. Some issues I have found are I can see daylight up one side between roof and side as well at at the peak on one side. I can see at least a quarter inch of airgap between the rubber and side/roof. This was after the first trip back to dealer, they replaced the rubber, but I think it's worse now. Any ideas? Worse comes to worse, I will find rubber and fix it myself. Thanks all!
hawkeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #2

You do not want to void your warranty trying to fix this yourself. If you can see daylight then the shop repair should also see it. I would not bring it home again until you feel comfortable it has been fixed properly as you are only asking for water damage in the right storm. Make them show you how to open/close and be sure the door sets up properly before bringing it back home. They cost too much to accept less than perfect.
DobeFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeFanatic
You do not want to void your warranty trying to fix this yourself. If you can see daylight then the shop repair should also see it. I would not bring it home again until you feel comfortable it has been fixed properly as you are only asking for water damage in the right storm. Make them show you how to open/close and be sure the door sets up properly before bringing it back home. They cost too much to accept less than perfect.
I will take it back again and insist. First time we were in a time crunch for a planned trip. Now I have the time so will do that. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #4

That's what those first trips are all about...finding out what's what before the warranty runs out. I have an almost new (2/2012) A-frame and leaving for South Carolina in the morn. I had it out in March and all was well but this trip will be a little longer and likely will need the furnace/heat pump this time so we shall see how it stacks up this time!
DobeFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

We noticed the same thing.........

We headed out on our second and last trip for the season.We noticed when the camper is in the UP position, there is a slight gap at the peak on the sides. We've had rain and it has yet to be a problem however, as we decide to use it more I'm wondering. I had an idea sort of a triangular type rain fly that would cover the peak for roughly 6 inches all sides and velcroed in place. If I can't find one I'll draw up the idea and have it made. Can't be that difficult. We have an A-126. Best of luck with yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyez View Post
I have about 14 days we've used our new hardside. Some issues I have found are I can see daylight up one side between roof and side as well at at the peak on one side. I can see at least a quarter inch of airgap between the rubber and side/roof. This was after the first trip back to dealer, they replaced the rubber, but I think it's worse now. Any ideas? Worse comes to worse, I will find rubber and fix it myself. Thanks all!
jmfpanzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #6

all A-frames have this, mystery light source is on the sink side of my unit. As the two roof sections overlap, it is highly unlikely that you will get a leak undernieth the roof overhang.

d-mo
Old 11-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #7

Same little daylight on my 2012 A128S. It's never caused any problems (gotten larger leaked, etc.).

Recently, the large strip that seals the top of the roof panels in the closed position started to come loose, I reglued and caulked it, and it seems good over the last few outings.
DGrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #8

Same here, small daylight area near peak on one side of my A122. Never had a problem. I think if the chassis is racked slightly, by applying more force on one corner jack than the other, it could cause a less than perfect fit around the roof. JMO.
toleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Mostly Harmless

About 18 months ago I got a roll of self-stick auto weatherstripping at my local AutoZone store. I put some short pieces in a spot or two where it seemed it might come in handy and only one little chunk of it has ever come off. The strips I put on are more for mosquito proofing than for leaks, there've been no leaks apart from one huge storm last year (where a couple of drops on the counter were the least of our worries). It looks like I still have a lifetime supply of weatherstripping left; if you're in the neighborhood drop by and pick some up!
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #10

I took my A Frame in a few weeks ago to take care of a few issues and I commented to the service manager about the weatherstripping comming loose. He said he would look at them and decide what to do. When I returned to pick up the camper, I found that had changed out all the gaskets. I was very pleased with the service. It was covered under warrenty.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Mostly Harmless

Wow, that was great service. It's like getting your camper rejuvenated. Who's your dealer?
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #12

Yea .. seriously who is that dealer.
My issues with a window caulking job, were so poorly handled, the dealer I purchased from put self leveling caulking all over the back window. I called the service rep. from the dealership out to have a look and told her that the job was brutal, and i wouldnt be taking it home until it was fixed properly. The next day I got a callback, picked up the trailer, it was cleaned up but the caulking job again was not done properly. I ended up redoing all the window myself last week, before i put it in the garage. Some dealers make after service warrenty work a breeze .. some like the dealer i delt with... make it a waiting game for poor quality service, and excuses. If anyone wants the name of this dealer in the Ottawa Ontario area, i will gladly provide it ...

d-mo
Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #13

The dealer I dealt with on my last two campers was Leach Camper Camper Sales in Council Bluffs, Iowa. They truely do take care of their customers and treat them as people, not just a number. Too bad there is not more dealers out there who do the same.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #14

Well I took the camper back to the dealer and they put new weather strip all around the roof sections. Got it home and wife pointed out that one long piece is fully visible above the side. Also down in the area of the torsion bar attachments, those have never sealed good. Dealer said that never seals well. They did give me some of the seal and I'm going to have a go at it. Dealer is pretty responsive, but the end result is not exactly what I've been looking for. Its been put up for winter, but in a place I can work on it if need be. I do really like the unit, just working through a couple of issues.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #15

Seriously .. i dont even know where the torsion bar attaches to the frame ... would you have some pics or info so I can have a look when i pull it out of the garage for our spring trip??
thx much .. d-mo
Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
Flagstaff 22FBS

Could be wrong, but I think they mean this area:

Deb

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike._ John Muir
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote