Old 09-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
I just had a thought that you might want to check, since you got yours to go into bulk mode 14.4 I would recheck it about 4 hrs and see what voltage your at then. If your cooling fan is stopping it could be shutting off on you because those are variable fans. which could cause your unit to heat up and shut down. Then you would know for sure that your not having a problem. Just a suggestion to you.... glad you got it going...

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
There are WFCOs that work according to spec. Like others, it took a lot of measuring to figure why my batteries were taking such a beating, and that my WFCO was not meeting spec.

I got my WFCO (8735) to go into bulk mode once. The second time it should have gone into bulk mode, it blew the 30 amp battery fuse without me noticing. The WFCO I had would also never go into trickle mode - I tried everything to coax it over a 4 week period, including dumping every parasite load. I learned to disconnect my battery while at home to prevent boiling water away.

Replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics 4135 converter/power center (alleged drop-in replacement for WFCO 8735). Except for being 1/2" narrower, and not having a 40 amp reverse polarity fuse, it was a true drop-in. The PD uses all 3 modes appropriately, and will hold bulk mode to about 90% for faster recharging. It does make some barely audible squeals (from the capacitors) when under heavy load. The fan is much quieter, and comes on sooner, than the WFCO fan. The fan will cycle itself as needed. I am very happy with the PD.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time

pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #13
You are lucky that your WFCO seems to be operating in 3 way mode. I have had several WFCOs and none of them ever got out of 13.6 v. I dealt with this by installing a battery cutoff switch so that the batteries would not dry out.

I also upgraded to the PD 4135 which is working perfectly as described above.

2015 Rockwood A128S
2010 Rockwood 2604
2014 Ford F-250 CC SB 2WD
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote

converter, wfco