Old 05-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #1

WFCO converter issues

Today, I finally confirmed that the WFCO converter in my A-frame will never drop below 13.7 volts when plugged in. I have the camper set up in the garage with everything turned off, and after 2 weeks I am still reading 13.7 volts. According to the WFCO manual, it is supposed to go into "float mode" or 13.2 volts after 44 hours with no change in load.

I have heard of another forum member with the same issue. So I am now disconnecting my battery after a few days of recharging after a trip.

Eventually, I'm going to replace the WFCO - and I'll have to clean up the factory wiring nightmare and rat's nest behind the converter when I do. That 's the downside of having the converter being built into your electrical distribution panel. Maybe it's a blessing that I'm a few months over the 2 years of warranty - I can consider other brands for the replacement.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan

Old 05-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Today, I finally confirmed that the WFCO converter in my A-frame will never drop below 13.7 volts when plugged in. I have the camper set up in the garage with everything turned off, and after 2 weeks I am still reading 13.7 volts. According to the WFCO manual, it is supposed to go into "float mode" or 13.2 volts after 44 hours with no change in load.

I have heard of another forum member with the same issue. So I am now disconnecting my battery after a few days of recharging after a trip.

Eventually, I'm going to replace the WFCO - and I'll have to clean up the factory wiring nightmare and rat's nest behind the converter when I do. That 's the downside of having the converter being built into your electrical distribution panel. Maybe it's a blessing that I'm a few months over the 2 years of warranty - I can consider other brands for the replacement.

Fred W
always had the same exact problem installed the progressive unit and now will drop to 13.1, plus it has a wizard button on the board they send you, so I can also put it in 14.4 amps if I want. Other then that it will go into 14.4 every 24 hrs. to clean the plates, plus it has two fans for cooling, works great.... PS: IMO WFCO is junk.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #3

I switched to a progressive due to slow charging. Now, my progressive does put out 30 amps at times but I never hear the fans come on

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #4

Progressive offers a physical replacement for the WFCO converter/panel combination 4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #5

I hardly ever charge my batteries with the converter . maybe for a night or 2 here and there . mostly when plugged in i disconnect the batteries use some items that i have wired to the batteries and charge with a separate charger when needed . i don't think keeping batteries fully charged and not in use is good . seems they need to be cycled a bit drained down some and then recharged . i get min 7 yrs per battery
Old 05-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #6

Lead acid batteries do not have a memory. Short charging will never get you to full charge or equalize the charge in multiple cells. It appears that you are getting good battery life, but I doubt that it has anything to do with the way you charge them.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Progressive offers a physical replacement for the WFCO converter/panel combination 4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters.
Progressive Dynamics now makes a 4135 model which is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for the stock WFCO 8735. It's also cheaper than the other PD converter/panel combos. I plan on ordering one in the next few days.

Fred W
Old 05-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Lead acid batteries do not have a memory. Short charging will never get you to full charge or equalize the charge in multiple cells. It appears that you are getting good battery life, but I doubt that it has anything to do with the way you charge them.
Short charge ??
Old 05-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #9

keeping batteries on a maintainer and always fully charged will promote sulfation . drawing a battery down to 75% or more and then charging is the way to go . take a 100 amp hr battery down to 50 % and then slow charge 3 amp or less will give you a good full charge in a day
Old 05-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #10

Ok..so now im totally confused....

Tags
converter, wfco