Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 969
WFCO converter issues

Today, I finally confirmed that the WFCO converter in my A-frame will never drop below 13.7 volts when plugged in. I have the camper set up in the garage with everything turned off, and after 2 weeks I am still reading 13.7 volts. According to the WFCO manual, it is supposed to go into "float mode" or 13.2 volts after 44 hours with no change in load.

I have heard of another forum member with the same issue. So I am now disconnecting my battery after a few days of recharging after a trip.

Eventually, I'm going to replace the WFCO - and I'll have to clean up the factory wiring nightmare and rat's nest behind the converter when I do. That 's the downside of having the converter being built into your electrical distribution panel. Maybe it's a blessing that I'm a few months over the 2 years of warranty - I can consider other brands for the replacement.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
__________________

__________________
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Today, I finally confirmed that the WFCO converter in my A-frame will never drop below 13.7 volts when plugged in. I have the camper set up in the garage with everything turned off, and after 2 weeks I am still reading 13.7 volts. According to the WFCO manual, it is supposed to go into "float mode" or 13.2 volts after 44 hours with no change in load.

I have heard of another forum member with the same issue. So I am now disconnecting my battery after a few days of recharging after a trip.

Eventually, I'm going to replace the WFCO - and I'll have to clean up the factory wiring nightmare and rat's nest behind the converter when I do. That 's the downside of having the converter being built into your electrical distribution panel. Maybe it's a blessing that I'm a few months over the 2 years of warranty - I can consider other brands for the replacement.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
always had the same exact problem installed the progressive unit and now will drop to 13.1, plus it has a wizard button on the board they send you, so I can also put it in 14.4 amps if I want. Other then that it will go into 14.4 every 24 hrs. to clean the plates, plus it has two fans for cooling, works great.... PS: IMO WFCO is junk.
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
HONDAMAN174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Big brown desert
Posts: 2,318
I switched to a progressive due to slow charging. Now, my progressive does put out 30 amps at times but I never hear the fans come on


2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"
__________________
2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englewood FL
Posts: 1,587
Progressive offers a physical replacement for the WFCO converter/panel combination 4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters.
__________________

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
I hardly ever charge my batteries with the converter . maybe for a night or 2 here and there . mostly when plugged in i disconnect the batteries use some items that i have wired to the batteries and charge with a separate charger when needed . i don't think keeping batteries fully charged and not in use is good . seems they need to be cycled a bit drained down some and then recharged . i get min 7 yrs per battery
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Englewood FL
Posts: 1,587
Lead acid batteries do not have a memory. Short charging will never get you to full charge or equalize the charge in multiple cells. It appears that you are getting good battery life, but I doubt that it has anything to do with the way you charge them.
__________________

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Progressive offers a physical replacement for the WFCO converter/panel combination 4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters.
Progressive Dynamics now makes a 4135 model which is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for the stock WFCO 8735. It's also cheaper than the other PD converter/panel combos. I plan on ordering one in the next few days.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
__________________
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Lead acid batteries do not have a memory. Short charging will never get you to full charge or equalize the charge in multiple cells. It appears that you are getting good battery life, but I doubt that it has anything to do with the way you charge them.
Short charge ??
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
keeping batteries on a maintainer and always fully charged will promote sulfation . drawing a battery down to 75% or more and then charging is the way to go . take a 100 amp hr battery down to 50 % and then slow charge 3 amp or less will give you a good full charge in a day
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 896
Ok..so now im totally confused....
__________________

__________________
2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122
D-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
converter, wfco

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.