Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #1

What are these water tubes for?

I filled our 192HW water tank last night. I noticed this morning that there's been a constant, slow drip from one of two little tubes underneath the camper, near the fridge and hot water heater. (fridge was turned on last night but not water heater)

I haven't seen this happen before, where might the water be dripping from and why?
Jodilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodilc View Post
I filled our 192HW water tank last night. I noticed this morning that there's been a constant, slow drip from one of two little tubes underneath the camper, near the fridge and hot water heater. (fridge was turned on last night but not water heater)

I haven't seen this happen before, where might the water be dripping from and why?
Those are low point drains, to drain the system for winterizing. Sounds like the cap is just a little loose. Easy solution is to reach in, and tighten by hand.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Where is the cap?
Old 06-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

Condensation from fridge?

FW tank overflow tube, it will not have a cap the other one if capped might be FW tank drain.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
Site Team

Both lines should have a plug in them . One line should be red and one blue. . Tighten the plug just enough to stop leak. They are most likely nylon plugs.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #6

fridge condensation drain - if dripping its doing its job

low point drains or fresh water tank drain - if dripping tighten the cap
bpa098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Where is the cap?
At the end of the line. You mentioned there were 2...these are drains and as Bob mentioned, there are normally red (hot water) and blue (cold water).

Ford Idaho asked if condensation line from the refrigerator. That line, by the way, should never be capped.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCampingFan View Post
At the end of the line. You mentioned there were 2...these are drains and as Bob mentioned, there are normally red (hot water) and blue (cold water).

Ford Idaho asked if condensation line from the refrigerator. That line, by the way, should never be capped.
Correct, the tube I was alluding to if for the FW tank not the fridge drain.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Where is the cap?
My low point drains pull up and push down to open and close. There is no cap to tighten. Yours might be different. not sure what model year yours is or if there was a change in drain styles on newer models.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Jodilc,

Seems we are all just guessing at which line is dripping. (as there are multiple lines that protrude underneath)

A photo might help or tracing the line to where the source is could get you better answers.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #11

Quote:

I am fairly new to RVing myself and sometimes I find the discussions on here very confusing. Some are saying it's the water tank overflow lines and others the fridge condensation line so even I'm not sure what the correct answer is. I say that with respect as people are just trying to be helpful but many topics in this forum have multiple answers and I'm never quite sure what the correct answer is in many cases.
bobbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown View Post
I am fairly new to RVing myself and sometimes I find the discussions on here very confusing. Some are saying it's the water tank overflow lines and others the fridge condensation line so even I'm not sure what the correct answer is. I say that with respect as people are just trying to be helpful but many topics in this forum have multiple answers and I'm never quite sure what the correct answer is in many cases.
Hi,
This is the exact reason we ask for pictures. If the OP post a picture of the tube (s) in question, we can give an exact answer. Welcome to the forums!
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:

The dripping tubes you are describing are the low point drains. They are actuated by "T" handles under the sink next to the water pump on low wall campers. Not sure just where they are on yours, but the handles will be inside a cabinet right above where the tubes protrude. One is for the hot water side and the other for cold. Pull up on them and push down hard to seal them. They may or may not always seal properly. Mine have proven to be difficult to operate.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown View Post
There are always many answers in this sub forum from people that don't have A Frames or pop ups (which are largely the same from the walls down). Their campers can be substantially different from ours and the answers can be discounted when it comes to these kind of unit specific questions. To help clarify the weight to put on answers, look at the sig line to see if they actually have an A Frame.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #15

I figured it out. Got home early from work, looked at the red and blue tubes inside the dinette seat, and saw the valve on the blue tube was sitting a bit higher than the other. I pushed it down and it snapped into place. Why it popped up is a mystery, but the dripping has stopped. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 06-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #16
Site Team

Thanks for coming back and letting everyone know what it was. It helps us improve our suggestions in the future. And it helps us learn about other types of RV's than what we have.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:26 PM   #17

On our older Shamrock (2002) there is a straight valve on the red drain and a "T" valve on the cold , both under the bathroom sink. The "T" style has the additional line running to the toilet.
perrogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Why it popped up is a mystery, but the dripping has stopped. Thanks everyone for your help!
Keep an eye out for this.

My cautionary tale is that when one of mine worked loose, like yours did, and I left the water pump turned on. It ran the freshwater tank dry over a few days of being parked at home so the pump was just churning away very quietly. I didn't hear the pump spinning from the outside. The next trip the pump was spinning but not pumping and had to be replaced. The solution is to double check that the pump is turned off.

I often don't hook up to city water at parks, because I use so little water and often fold up early Sunday morning to get on to the planned hike for the day. So one less thing to do in the morning is better for me. And Houston tap water taste better than local brew served at most state parks.

2012 Rockwood A122S

Old 06-25-2016, 06:06 AM   #19

Just throwing this out there, red and blue low point drains should NOT be confused with two blue lines that are overflow for fresh water tank.... In addition to that there is a third blue line with a valve that drains fresh water tank.
john5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Both lines should have a plug in them . One line should be red and one blue. . Tighten the plug just enough to stop leak. They are most likely nylon plugs.
On our 2013 Sunseeker the blue line has no cap,,, because there is a valve above to drain FW tank,,, Red line is capped,,, when I first saw that,,, I ran to the RV store and bought a spare cap,,, not knowing what could happen if we lost that cap ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water