Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
BJR

What bearing grease to use?

I have a 2016 Rockwood A122s and plan to grease the EZ lube axle bearings before the camping season starts. Can someone tell me what grease to use? If possible I would like to use the same grease that the factory used. Thanks!
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #2

etrailer has some good grease info -

Overview of Lubricating Grease | etrailer.com

mickrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #3
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post
Thanks mickrock good info.

What I plan to do is just add grease to the bearings with a grease gun and I need to know what grease is used by the manufacturer so the new grease will be compatible with the grease that is already in the bearings.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #4

Look in your owners book, the specs for bearing grease is there. Doesn't matter what company you use as long as the specs match, I found Mobil 1 to be a match and easy to find at local auto part stores. Be very careful if you are using a grease gun, if you add to much you will blow out the rear seal and end up with grease all over the brakes. I find it easier to do it the old fashioned way, pull the hubs, remove rear seal, remove bearings and clean and inspect, grease, install new rear seal all in about an hour. Dexter has a great step by step video on Youtube, its very easy to do.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #5

Lucas,Red & Tacky! Youroo!!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Lucas,Red & Tacky! Youroo!!
x2
Old 03-16-2017, 12:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJR View Post
I have a 2016 Rockwood A122s and plan to grease the EZ lube axle bearings before the camping season starts. Can someone tell me what grease to use? If possible I would like to use the same grease that the factory used. Thanks!
You need to be careful which type of grease you mix together. Dexter recommends that you use a lithium based complex grease. If you mix other types with lithium grease they may or will react with each other and cause the grease to fail. Many of the grease manufactures produce a lithium based grease you just need to make sure it's lithium based. If you can't find lithium based grease check with your local auto store.

Hope this is helpful Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:07 AM   #8

Hi I have attached a link from the site library at the top of this page. You will need to download the link and then open it. On page 21 you will find what Dexter recommends to use

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...?do=file&id=72

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #9

Axle Maintenance

Dexter Manual
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dexter600-8K_Complete_Service_Manual.pdf (1.42 MB, 505 views)
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #10

I use Carquest lithium based grease.
If you look at some of the tutorials online you'll see you're supposed to push out all of the old grease until new grease is coming through the seal. if you look at some of the tutorials online you'll see you're supposed to push out all of the old grease until new grease is coming through the seal
Also when you pick up your trailer or fifth wheel the factory has not completely filled the bearing with grease and it will take 3/4 to 1 full cartridge for each wheel.
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #11

Bearing Grease

Try this
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DexterEZLubeInst059-831-00A.pdf (460.0 KB, 318 views)
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
BJR

Thanks for all the great feedback!

I ordered the LubriMatic LMX Industrial Strength Grease from etrailer. It seems to match the Dexter EZ lube axle requirements.

LubriMatic LMX Industrial Strength Grease - 14 oz. Cartridge LubriMatic Tools L11390

I'll be picking up the camper from storage in 3 weeks and will lube the bearings according to the Dexter video for EZ Lube bearings.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJR View Post
Mystik JT6 Hi-temp Grease #2

Less than $5.00 Tractor Supply
ksmith954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #14

Just curious, has anyone used "Bearing Buddys" to maintain grease in the hubs of your RV trailers ? Good or bad ?
Here is a link;
Grease Caps | etrailer.com
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #15

I've been using this for 5 years on my trailer.
Grease Nitro Red™ - Nitrolube : The best synthetic oil and Performance Lubricants

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #16

Sundancer is right I have seen to many trailers with blown out seals and grease all over the brake shoes from those things. Best to do it the old fashion way or have it done for you. This way you can check the brakes and hardware rotate the tires all at the same time. Also clean the rust edge of the drum. Yes it is a good idea to rotate the tires just like your car!

Happy Camping
Old 03-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #17

Greasing Bearings

The grease you use is a choice, however I would be very careful doing the job while temperatures are cool. The pressure you use with your grease gun could push out your seals. Grease is thick and hard when it is cold, when it is hot, it is much easier to work with when pumping into your hubs. I waited until summer, allowed the tubes of grease to sit out in the hot sun, and pumped it in then while spinning the tires. EZ lub hubs are great, but pushing out a seal would not be an easy quick/fix. Good luck.

cseeger22
cseeger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #18

Bearing Buddies are for boat trailers and not really intended to grease the bearings, what they do is create a pressure inside the hub to help keep the water out when submerging the wheels.

I have the EZ-Lube hubs and every few trips I jack up the wheels and slowly pump a few squirts in very slowly, the key is to turn the wheel as everyone else mentioned.

I spoke to a few experts and they still recommend to remove and inspect bearings every few years annually or to be on the safe side. Said the rear seal dries out...
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Bill View Post
I use Carquest lithium based grease.

If you look at some of the tutorials online you'll see you're supposed to push out all of the old grease until new grease is coming through the seal. if you look at some of the tutorials online you'll see you're supposed to push out all of the old grease until new grease is coming through the seal

Also when you pick up your trailer or fifth wheel the factory has not completely filled the bearing with grease and it will take 3/4 to 1 full cartridge for each wheel.

Your correct, I needed 4 cartridges my first time greasing my EZ lubes axles.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #20

EZ-Lube

I grease my EZ-Lube axles every 12K miles or every (2) years. I completely remove the old grease by hand pumping slowly and spinning the wheel. I believe the Mfg. wants you to replace the the entire old grease and not just add a few pumps every few months. Never had a problem with leaking seals by following the Mfg. instructions. When I use to clean and repack the wheel bearings in my auto and truck it was only when I was replacing the brakes.
ksmith954 is offline   Reply With Quote