Old 09-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #1

What I thought was tree sap on the bubble windows

The tree sap turns out to be a very bad case of clouding/oxidation. All the cleaning I did was to no avail. I contacted Forest River, Mr. Sam Buckles, and he had me take the camper to a dealer and have photos taken of the damage. Forest River determined the windows are beyond cleaning and are sending me three new windows which the dealer will install, someday! Just another problem with this camper which is only 1 1/2 years old. What can I expect next after all the problems I've had with this beast?
Jim DiFazio

Old 09-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #2

This is timely with criticism I heard last week

about my bubble window being so "dull".

I read about headlight restorer working as a cleaner for this, and tried it.

After 2 applications of Blue Magic headlight restorer, it looked great.

After rubbing on each coat, I had to remove the heavy oxidation with a dampened cloth.

I then used a buffer for a "shine".

I also used RainX cleaner as a final touch, and also used that on the inside.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post

After rubbing on each coat, I had to remove the heavy oxidation with a dampened cloth.

Thanks for the information. My windows are so bad, I'm going to let Forest River replace all three and hope it never happens again.
Jim
Old 09-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #4

speaking from experience ... i would question if the dealer really knows how to rip and redo these windows. i was dealing with a very competent dealer and service department and it took them two trys to get the job done.
mine back bubble was broken by a tree branch ... so the whole thing had to be replaced.
The small size rivets seemed to be the problem .. so they installed two much larger rivets per each corner of the window .. re-did all the window caulking .. and then covered the job with 3m extreme ...
if i were you .. i would not even have anyone attempt this ... just do what mickrock suggests ..

d-mo
Old 09-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
speaking from experience ... i would question if the dealer really knows how to rip and redo these windows. i was dealing with a very competent dealer and service department and it took them two trys to get the job done.
mine back bubble was broken by a tree branch ... so the whole thing had to be replaced.
The small size rivets seemed to be the problem .. so they installed two much larger rivets per each corner of the window .. re-did all the window caulking .. and then covered the job with 3m extreme ...
if i were you .. i would not even have anyone attempt this ... just do what mickrock suggests ..

d-mo
Thanks for the advice. I feel it's Forest Rivers problem, not mine. The camper is a 2013 and if I mess up the windows, my warranty will be voided. Those windows should have been made of tempered glass in the first place and it wouldn't hurt to lighten up on the tinting. Whenever I go in my camper, no matter how bright it is outside, I have to turn on lights. The tinting is way too dark and I've had this conversation with Forest River but they refuse to get off their butt and look into whether people want glass, tinting, and if they do want tinting, offer different degrees of darkness. If privacy is an issue, use the shades or curtains. And what makes Forest River think the cloudiness won't happen again in the future? Polycarbonate is prone to clouding up just like car headlights and Forest River should make a change to the composition of materials used to make those windows. Tempered glass won't cloud up and is much easier to maintain.
Thanks again for your input.
Jim
Jim
Old 09-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #6

You just don't see tempered glass in the RV industry, outside of the automotive requirements. It is far too heavy. A bubble shape like those on Aframes roof windows would be a very heavy and require further weight in the support structure.

People that go from tent trailers to hardside campers call it going to the dark side for a reason. After camping in a tent trailer for years, sleeping in late because the sunlight doesn't wake me up at dawn, is appreciated.

I prefer the tinted bubble windows because the time I am inside is usually when I want privacy. During the daytime, with the shades open on the bubble windows, I don't worry about inadvertently offending someone seeing me change cloths.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdcamper View Post
The tree sap turns out to be a very bad case of clouding/oxidation. All the cleaning I did was to no avail. I contacted Forest River, Mr. Sam Buckles, and he had me take the camper to a dealer and have photos taken of the damage. Forest River determined the windows are beyond cleaning and are sending me three new windows which the dealer will install, someday! Just another problem with this camper which is only 1 1/2 years old. What can I expect next after all the problems I've had with this beast?
Jim DiFazio
I think we have all had problems. Some just sooner than others and at times seems like more frequently. What to expect?.......expect that one day you won't have any issues for awhile, that you have fixed most of the major stuff just sooner than you had hoped and that you can finally just enjoy the camper.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #8

Did you apply any restorer to the inside of the bubble window, or only outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrock View Post

Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #9

The primary purpose the bubble window is headroom I think. Not light. Most do not want less tinted glass for the same reason they don't want clear glass on all the windows of their SUV. Heat absorption.

It sucks that the windows did not meet expectations but I would not hold my breath for a manufacturer to add complexity to their production process unless it will give them more money in return. That's just business.

I also never understood the warranty fear... It is very difficult for a consumer to void a warranty. For me, I'd rather be comfortable and leak free than worry about that nonsense. If you seal your bubble window, at the most the manufacturer may determine that you took the matter into your own hands and won't now replace a window. But they cannot and will not void the campers warranty... They are federally prohibited from doing so.

Also, in general, in this part of the woods anyway, RV dealers have reputations that are just below used car dealers. They're generally not interested in the small hassle projects, only in the $50k customization you want to make to your million dollar motorcoach. So if it's something I can fix myself, I do. I don't both with the round trip expenses, price gouging and debate with a parts/service department over the little stuff.

If you have the luxury of storing the camper indoors, garage or storage unit, problems like leaking, UV damage, scratching and weather-related wear and tear become very small. Conversely, if it's outdoors in the baking sun 24/365 then stuff is going to degrade and that stuff is not warranteed.

My $0.02

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #10

I applied the restorer only to the outside.

The inside did not have any of the dull coating appearance that is oxidation crud.

That was my thinking, anyway, and the final results are good.
It works sort of like a one way mirror, seeing out is ok, but hardly anything can be seen inside from the outside.

I plan to do this restore process with each spring readiness cleanup.