Old 10-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
What is best Aframe camper?

So our first camper was a pop up which we owned for 10 years. Now we have a Jayco 23b hybrid camper that we love, but kids are grown and it's just the wife and I. We want to have something easy to tow and small enough to get in the barn. I am considering a 2015 A212HW. Here are my concerns:
1- I enjoy the feeling of tent camping you get from a pop up or hybrid as you sleep in the canvas bunks with the screen letting all the fresh air in. Does the A frame feel like a closed hard sided camper?
2- I prefer the quality of Chalet or Aliner as they just appear to be a better quality, but there aren't any dealers nearby for parts/repairs. How is the FR quality??
3- is there enough room inside for 2 people to while away a rainy day in comfort?

brachicoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Team
Welcome to the forum! When I first started RV looking I put a deposit down on an Aliner only to cancel shortly afterwards. I felt the Aliner was a lot of money for a lot of compromise. A couple years later I checked out some FR A-frames units and found them to be much nicer for my taste and not as expensive as the Aliner. Not saying Aliner isn't a good RV but I liked the FR units better.

With any A-Frame or smaller RV whether there's enough room for two on a raining depends on the floor plan and people involved.

I'm sure other members will be able to chime in and offer more helpful feedback since mine is pretty limited.

Good luck.

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
1 Having had a popup and an AFrame. Yes the AFrame feels like any other hard side camper. It is quiet and dark if the drapes are closed. Fairly light with the curtains open. It does not ventilate as well on its own, but the fan takes care of that. With the fan, it cools down much faster than my popup ever did. because the lower volume of air inside turns over very quickly. The AC also cools it quickly.

2. Don't know. I faced the same problem of not having a local dealer closer than a 2.5 hour drive as opposed to 35 minutes for two FR dealers. That was that for me.

3. That 212 has a 14 foot box and must feel pretty spacious. My 12 foot camper would only be comfortable for two people moving around in a romantic slow dance. But the table is big enough for seating while drinking wine and chatting. And one can cook while the other preps food at the table. So with dinner, drinks and dancing, there is plenty of space to spend a rainy day.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
Welcome to the forum. My wife and I just recently ordered a T21QBHW which appears to be the Flagstaff version of the Rockwood you are considering. We have had pop ups, hybrids and "conventional" travel trailers in the past. After all those we decided the T21QBHW is the "right size" for the two of us to start RVing again.

We wanted to avoid having another "soft side" pop up, or hybrid, with canvas due to the high humidity in the Southeast. Invariably it always seemed to rain on our last day out so we had to "dry out" the trailer before taking it back to the storage facility. That can be a real pain as our covenants do not allow RVs to be set up at home. The "hard side" eliminates the majority of those issues. Add in how much faster and easier it is to set up and tear down a "hard side" and the T21 was an easy choice.

I have only seen a few Chalet or Aliners and had written them off as they were too small, especially the bunks, and too expensive for our tastes. I do like the dormers and some other features they offer though. As far as quality goes we have owned other Forest River products and did not have any quality issues.

Since our T21QBHW won't be delivered until around 1 April I can't comment too much on your space concerns. However, last week my wife and I spent about an hour in the display model at our local dealer figuring out if it was right for us and how to load it and we didn't feel cramped. (The nice thing about being retired is we can go on a weekday when a long look isn't a problem for the dealership. ) After comparing the T19QBHW and T21QBHW side by side the extra two feet of "box space" really do make a major difference in how "big" and comfortable the trailer felt to us. I don't foresee any trailer claustrophobia outbreaks with the T21... And for only a whooping $500 price difference we would be crazy not to go for the T21.
2017 Sunseeker GTS 2800 QSF
TOAD: 2016 Ford Edge Titanium FWD

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:30 PM   #5
We have had ours for a little over a year, and have done over 90 nights and 12K miles in it. It is livable for 2 and no pets. I agree with what other have said above, and would only add that we have a problem with not having a shower. Due to our camping style only about 5% of the campground that we use have shower.
All said and done, I would not move up to a bigger trailer, or would I give up the floor space that a shower would take out of the floor space of a A-liner.
If we had a Jayco 23b hybrid camper that we love, I would ask if I could do with out the shower.
Steve and Adele
2014 Flagstaff T12RBST
2005 Toyota 4runner 4x4
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
I had my mind set on an Aliner (because it was a brand name) but after seeing the Forest River models, spouse felt the finish work was better and since they came "loaded" for a lesser price, he felt it was a better buy all the way around. When I discovered the toy hauler model with a pull out bed, I was definitely sold.

The best A-Frame camper is the one that fits your wish list of options and is within your budget.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
Thanks all. Saw the A212HW today and was impressed. Enough room to move around, impressive onboard storage and really all we need. Price was good compared to Aliner or Chalet. Have to rely on your posts as to quality!
brachicoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #8
Empty nesters in a A127TH

We bought our 127TH in early June and have spent 9 nights out in it thus far. We like the large and surprisingly comfortable bed and the fact that it folds up into such a nice couch. While we haven't done so yet, we can readily imagine adequate space for a rainy day inside. We also got the large add-on screen room and a instant-pop up shower/porta-potti enclosure, which we used on a 4 night run in August. No quality issues, and wife loves it.
Newbie to modern-era small RV camping, but grew up in the 1960s with a Cox tent camper w/ parents and 3 sisters. Yes, a little tight in there.

Rockwood A127TH.
Fox58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
I was also convinced I wanted an Aliner. We had reps close by for FR also. I went and looked at both and for me the price difference and value went to FR. The FR does have a higher weight so this does make a difference on some tow vehicles.

We had tent camped so I can only make comparisons to that. For us in FL, the hard sides gave me a much longer camping season. A/C and heat work great and we have used both. Our family of 3 and small dog fit fine on rainy days.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
10 Nights camped in 2014
20 Nights camped in 2013
8 Nights camped in 2012
K1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
we have 2012 T12BH one of the reason is that it feels like a regular hardside and not a popup. We do a lot of winter camping and it heats a lot better than the popup plus being in Texas its easier to cool in high summer.

Haven't had any problems with the quality of the workmen ship on the camper.

Spend a few rainy days inside with the wife and a couple of dogs no problem of course we got rid of the table and replaced it with a shelf which gives us plenty of room to sit talk or play dominoes.

F-150 Lariat 2012 T12BH 2012
Camping RenFaire 42 days
Non RenFaire camping 34 days
RenFaire Camper is offline   Reply With Quote

camper, frame, a-frame