Old 09-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #11
Although my wife and I both grew up camping, she had no interest in doing it as an adult. Once we got a dog and she didn't want to put her in a kennel when we went on vacation, I mentioned buying a camper and the rest is history.

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tim & Tracy, Jennifer (14), Alyssa (10), our dog Jazy (5)

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
Previous TV: 2006 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L V8
2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2L I6
DisDad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #12
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
Like most started with boy scouts but then never got into it till I got married and had kids. Started out with a tent for the kids and we slept in the back of a Chevy Blazer. From there started working our way up to pop up to MH to 5ers to now tt. It's been a fun ride so far and will continue till who know. Later RJD

2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #13
Both my wife and I had tent camped in the past, she even camped above the arctic circle when she lived in Alaska. When we met we would fly places and get hotel rooms. I then taught her to ride a motorcycle and we would travel on them and again, get hotel room. We were getting tired of having to eat out three meals a day.

I think we had seen the program "RV Crazy" and thought that might be a nice way to travel, being able to cook for ourselves, have our own bed and all that. We rented a class A for a vacation, we were sure that is what we would want for rving. We went to a few shows and ended up buying a ultralite fifth wheel and have been enjoying the life ever since.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Duramax and Allison 6 speed
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #14
Like cheriesgeek, we don't camp in the usual sense. We started some years back when my father-in-law was not doing well health-wise. He lived in N.N. and we in Indiana. We really neded to go for a visit, but the motel & restaurant way of travel was too much for our budget. I had just gotten my first computer, and was on-line checking out camping gear when I stumbled onto a site advertising used campers. We did the math, and decided that we could drive both ways, and stay for 12 days in the in-laws back yard for a third of the cost of traditional travel. Plus, the camper would pay for itself in the first year (we bought an old 1973 Steury (well-used, but serviceable). That was in 2000. We've been camping ever since and loving it--and the savings.
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #15
OOps! Dad lived in N.D., not NN! I should add that we have traveled almost every summer to N.D., and on to Nebraska to see kids and grandkids. We have also been to Georgia to visit our USNavy daughter, and our USArmy son. We usually find a campground nearby to park and sleep in, and spend most of the daylight hours sightseeing and visiting. We eat and sleep in the campground, which saves us loads of $$s. A side benefit tis that we usually make some new friends, and find fellow campers to be among the nicest people on earth.
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
I camped with the my best friend and his parents way back in the 60s --we stayed in tents and slept in the back of their pick-up--Great times!
scrappypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #17
For my wife and I, this is a new adventure. We were talking about a place on a lake for retirement, but didn't want to be tied down to only one location. Some friends tried to talk us into getting a camper and the more we thought about it the more it made sense. We had never camped since we were first married, over 30 years ago. I am so sorry that we missed out on this all these years. We love it. The grandkids and both of my kids have gone with us now. I don't want them to miss what I did. And, you can't beat the views:
Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Grey Wolf 26RR
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 4X4
This is going to be a new adventure. 35 Days camping in 2015!!
ChipBruce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #18
Just got back from camping Wednesday through Sunday at the Kerrville Folk Festival. 24 hour a day music for four days! 'Course I turned in early every night!
Izzymovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #19
I started out in Scouts. Then met DW and after we bought our house, started tent camping and canoeing. In early 80 built a car and started to travel to shows around the country. Having dogs and wanting to travel at retirement, rented a small class C. One trip and bought our SS3100. That was Jan. of 13, 50000miles later I think we love it.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #20
I was the youngest of 10 and my dad died when I was 3. One of my older cousins had a son about my age. They invited me to go to Colorado, camping for 2 weeks. It was the trip of a lifetime for me. When I married and had children, the wife wasn't interested, so I took the kids tent camping, myself. We have many great memories.

I don't camp these days just to camp. It's centered around model glider contests, or fly fishing with my sons. I can stay at the flying field in some locations, or at the river with my sons. However, now that I have grand children, I'll be doing some camping with them... and some flying and fishing, too. We've decided to NOT be the Disney World grandparents. We're upgrading he camper next year to better facilitate that.

J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote