Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #21

I tent camped as a youngster with my father . When I retired two years ago my DW who has never camped said let's look at going camping . We had a family friend that was a salesman for a rv dealer .(Thank god he sold FR products ) Needless to say we are now on our second camper which is a 5er . We told our two children that we would del. and set up the camper when ever they wanted to use it . So to make a long story short we have been to many campgrounds and the whole family are now campers and loving it .
Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #22

How many things can you do where, as a single woman, you feel safe because of all the wonderful people around you? Where you are never lonely due to these same people? Where you can have the adventures of seeing new places and learning so much? I love, love my lifestyle. My parents were not campers but my deceased husband was and taught me to love it. People ask me all the time - Are you afraid? I tell them that I am more afraid of staying home and not seeing the great out of doors in this country.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:41 PM   #23

Good for you Hannah. . I camp alone most of the time too.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #24

My folks took us to the Michigan UP to live in a cabin for a month. No electricity, no running water, outhouse out behind the cabin to do our "business" in, little radio, no TV, a pot-belly stove for heat and kerosene lamps for light. The only "modern" conveniences were an LP gas stove and fridge (how many remember Servel reefers?). It was heaven! In the Boy Scouts, I learned camping and pitching tents, cooking over an open fire, etc. those skills served in good stead when I finally graduated from college and had to sit on drilling rigs on the side of a mountain living in a tent. After I was married to DW, her dad strongly recommended having a trailer as an emergency shelter and a place to live on the road. We bought a 54 Westate Engineering 16 ft "Silver Bullet". We camped a lot in it. We then bought a '67 Shasta that was wonderful. We lived in that until we could find housing when we moved. We traded that for a '94 Mallard All Season with an evaporative cooler. Real nice but a bit cramped for long-term living. We then sold that and bought a 2000 Rockwood Ultralite 2602 that was very nice. We went everywhere in that going from job to job for 5 years. We sold it three years ago and decided it was time to buy another. So we now have a 2015 Palomino SolAire 20RBS TT in the driveway and it is so nice. We've camped about 15 days this year so far with more camping coming up. Over the years, we've learned to pack light and travel light but it has been a lot of fun. Beats the heck out of sleeping on the ground.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:33 AM   #25

Feels like we are sitting around a camp fire sharing personal stories. Thank you so much for sharing your experience and stories. While reading the stories, i am seeing pattern: introduced to outdoor living by someone, all about family, inclusivity, scenery and travel, emergency preparedness, freedom, empowerment and economical. Glad we got our kids into it while they are young so that they can enjoy the same "pattern".
Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #26

My first camping was at our family cabin in Maine. Cabin was not big enough for everyone to sleep in. Then Boy Scouts. Then a buddy of mine and I camped at lot in our late teens just to get away.

We camped on our honeymoon and with our son from the time he was born.

Old age and arthritis ended my days of sleeping on the ground so now we have gone to a travel trailer. I miss being more in the woods when we used to hike in and use a small tent but still love it.
Lost Vermonters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #27

In the 70's our 4 children were old enough to go camping so we started looking at popup campers and/or pontoon boats. After a year or so we decided to get a Jayco popup and it was one of the best decisions we have made in out 55 years of marriage. We camped as a family, almost every weekend and 2 weeks a year in National parks. When I became an officer in the Iowa NG we took the Jayco to summer camp each year in Mn. and the family camped at Crow Wing Lake campground while I did my Guard duty.
Our kids, now in their 40/50's still talk about those days and the wonderful experiences they had camping as a family, camping next to their Grandparents RV, fishing, canoeing , and picnicking together.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #28

My mom would take me, my sister, and a few teenage friends camping every summer for several weeks. We went to 42 states, Canada, and camped through Mexico to Acapulco. She had various methods including tents, uhaul trailers, and homemade camper trailers. It was great, sure miss those days.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #29

I work a high stress job. Camping gets me away from all of the tension. My wife an I take off and just relax. No phones, no TV, no internet just peace an quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #30

Started in the Boy Scouts, continued when I was in the Army (sometimes just for R & R), and never stopped. Tent camped and hiked it all in for well over 35 years. Then something weird happened. Between the time I rolled the tent up in the Fall and the I unrolled it next Spring the tent seemed to get smaller and I was no longer able to stand upright after waking up in the morning. Bought the A-122S and am back to loving every minute of being outdoors, hiking, biking, exploring and relaxing by the campfire. Best escape from the everyday world you can have.
N3XG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #31

Smile getting started

We use our TT mainly for dog shows right now. Me and my sister camped often with the family as kids, first in tents, then a SMALL TT, then a motorhome. We grew up and other things took precedence. A couple of years ago me and my sister bought a pup to go to the dog shows. We loved it and never looked back. This year we were able to buy a Palomino SolAire 251RBSS and its great! We are looking forward to doing more camping and dog shows in the future (right now we both work - a lot). But we get away every chance we can and we love it! Lisa
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #32
peaceparson

There's nothing like camping out! We use our camper as a motel when we visit the relations. Stay in a campground or, at mom's we just pull up in her back yard. Not only beats the cost of a commercial motel, but the peace and quiet is awesome! And, we don't have to worry who slept last in the bed, or what was being cooked up in the room, or anything else. We've camped in a pup for about 15 years. some year, we may graduate up to a TT, but for now, we enjoy the simplicity of the pop-up and the easse of pulling it behind our car. We also have always appreciated the people we meet at campgrounds. Once in a while a stinker, but mostly just fun-loving and cordial people who are happy to make new friends. When I retire for the last time, I look forward to more travel--and camping my way along.
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #33

Always wanted to but when the boys came along decided to give it a try. Bought a 1973 Terry project trailer in the mid 1980s it was used very little but had some rear corner damage where it was opened up. Long story. Fixed it up pulled it up & down the coast for 2-3 years & we enjoyed it. Bought a new Terry in 1988 and later the first Puma and now it has grown into the current 36 ft toy hauler. The rest is history.

Bringing the dogs along has been a plus we even rescued one while we were camping at Mayberry Campground .........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping