Old 09-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #1
What / when/ why / where or How- camping bug

Hello fellow campers: i am wondering who/what/why/where how each of you decided to be campers. For me, I enjoy the outdoor and got the bug in grade school when there was a week of camping in the wilderness with my grade 7 home room. For DH, he was introduced by his dad at a young age and through necessity and freedom, discovered camping is freedom in the wilderness. We like it as it feels like playing in the woods and opportunity to go where most hotellers cannot see. Opportunity to put away the watch, the timer and back to basics for a few weeks a year.

Hubby and I got together early 90's young and starving students but we were able to take vacation in the wilderness and to serene places where hotellers tend to not get to see for 12 yrs and graduated to tent trailer for 11 yrs then when we had our first kid and now the Aframe. Love it.

Our kids camped with us since they were born so each year, if we don't spend at least two weeks in the woods, the kids are not happy.

Just curious
Newbies to Aframe 2015
Family of 4

Newbies to Aframe 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Started with boy scout group camping trips, learning to be self sufficient and keep it simple; then evolved into family RV camping when kids were young, now with the kids and grandkids; love group camping with family and friends for events or reunions - get away from all the electronic gizmos and distractions and enjoy the natural environment.

Another factor is I like to work on the RV (upgrades and mods) as a hobby.

Last...RV serves as backup shelter when the house power is down or disaster strikes (an earthquake beat up the house last year in my neck of the woods - no power or water for a week). RV bounced 6 feet out of its chocks, but was intact and functional.

2015 Rockwood A128S
2010 Rockwood 2604
2014 Ford F-250 CC SB 2WD
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
I got into it for a completely different reason. I do a lot of volunteer work and spend weekends at camps. I decided to sleep in my own bed and got the aframe for that purpose. We don't camp in the traditional sense like most folks. We use ours as portable living quarters. It lets my wife and I take our dog and go places. We are also recent empty nesters and use the camper as housing when visiting the kids. One of them is 7 hours away in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Spent the holiday out there and will be back for the first 2 weeks of Oct.

2015 A122S and 2011 Work and Play WR30
2005 F-150 SuperCrew, 5.4L, tow package, 3.73 axle
2011 F-350 SuperCrew, 6.7L, FX4, 4x4, DRW, tow package, 3.55 axle
cheriesgeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
In the 60's my parents would take the family on camping trips for 3 weeks every summer, first in a tent then a popup. We went places and saw things from coast to coast both in the USA and Canada. Sooo many fond memories. I wanted my family to have the same experiences I had so we started them young.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #5
I started camping in the 60's when I was a Boy Scouts and then on to Explores. My wife camped with her parents when she was a child; so we came from a camping background. We took up tent camping when we where young and foolish in the early 70's; first married. Than transition to pop-ups in the 80's with our children. Left for awhile when the boy's and my daughter where in after school sports. To busy to camp with sports schedules and coaching them.

We got back into traveling with our first 5er we bought used around 2007. Since than we have been traveling and enjoying the 5er's we have owned. We now take the grandkids at least once a year, with the oldest now asking to go out west to see the Rockies and so forth. Passing it on the camping bug.
Jim W.
2016 34RL CC; 2008 Ram Mega Cab 2500HD, 6.7L, 68RFE 6 speed, 4X4, Smarty S67
Jim34RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
As a truck driver traveling the highways I would see the many different campers with their families. I always loved the road & RVing was a way for my wife to enjoy it with me. First we bought a used TT & after I retired from driving over the road in 98 got the bug for a larger unit. It was a 1 ton Dodge dually diesel & a 31 foot 5th wheel with two slides. We both turned 80 last winter in Quartzsite, AZ with our 1/2 ton p/up with a 18 foot TT.

Yes, I still love life on the road.

EP & Lady EP our CB handles
Everett & Joan after 60 years together. 2004 1/2 ton Chevy & 2011 Rockwood 1809S

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
Well, for me the A frame experience is a different direction.
Just purchased our Flagstaff two weeks ago after years of backpacking and sleeping on a pad in a sleeping bag. One of my uncles was into backpacking and took me and some friends on a few trips as teens...fell in live with it.
I'm not totally giving that up, but it was time to give my wife the option of a decent bed rather than sleeping on the ground all the time.
I'm actually looking forward to taking the A frame on a road trip in a couple of weeks.
jpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
I have old home movies from when I was about 16 months old of staying in a cabin up in Maine. From there it was tent camping until two years ago when we got tired of canceling trips because of weather. Woke up one too many times in a wet sleeping bag, packed up in the rain...etc. Rented a small TT from the Air force base, better but towing nightmare with cross winds. Rented a pop up, towed better but was a more complicate set up. Saw the hard sides and knew it was the perfect set up for us. Unless it's severe weather we no longer cancel camping plans and I'm not exhausted from tearing down camp when we get home.
2015 A122S
CJofWolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
I grew up in the mountains, fishing and camping were a big part of my life, and continues to this day
2015 274 RK LIMITED <'{{{{><
captainperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
Born and raised most of my youth in alaska my parents would take us camping and fishing every weekend we could go. We started out in tents, when i was in college my parents purchased a motorhome. Love it and hope to give my girls the same experience.

DC 235BHS is offline   Reply With Quote