Old 11-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
A great long term solution is 6 volt batteries but you have weight and time constraints so scratch that and go with two matched 12 volt deep cycle batteries and I would plan to add a switch at some point. Adding solar to your rig or a portable would really extend your camping duration. Have fun this weekend!

chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou
You would be far better served (IMO) to leave your current battery alone and buy a small portable generator to charge it.

Harbor Freight and Northern Tool have small ones that will work perfectly to power a small battery charger like a Ship-N-Shore to charge your battery as needed for an hour or two.

All Power 1,200-Watt 2 Stroke Gasoline Powered Portable Generator-APG3004D at The Home Depot

Schumacher 2/6/10 Amp 12-Volt Ship 'N Shore Automatic Battery Charger SSC-1000A: You’ve found the best Battery Chargers & Accessories at Advance Auto Parts

You will avoid the tongue load problems and save a TON of money.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
National Park
In reply to herk7769

Here in the west, going to the places we are going, I'm not firing up a generator, not even a Honda. I'll pay what it takes for me to sit quietly on the edge of a 2,000 ft cliff, boon docking with my solar panel helping to keep the peace. No one would be around to hear it…except us and we didn't work our way out there to listen to much more than nature. We'll be in a campground this time around as our test run with this new A-frame…which brings me to point B.

It's a little A-Frame with a gear platform on the front. Mountain bikes and maybe a couple of G29s are all that will be up there on the deck so our V8 4Runner should be able to handle a dual batt setup and associated weight.

Thanks though.

G 27, G 29 or G 31 …x2? It seems like the G 31 offerings are sparse and probably overkill, so G 27 or G 29 …x2?
Ron and Kelly
2014 Rockwood A112TH
2004 Toyota 4Runner V8
Always Exploring
Canyonlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
Originally Posted by Canyonlands View Post
Question still remains: Which is better for a long time off the grid? 1) Two Interstate 6V batts ran in series. 2) Two G27s or heck, even G29s ran in parallel.
Without the performance characteristics of each battery setup you are considering, it would be hard to say. Then throw in the weight, cost and frequency of use, alternative charging systems..... This is mostly a personal choice that depends on your resources and needs. The quick fix for the weekend might not be the long term fix. Under these conditions, I'd go cheap and versatile.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
National Park
In reply to Pooneil

Thanks Tom.

I'm big on not blowing money on short term solutions. I've now ruled out the 6V just based on the fact that since we're going to more remote places, I'd rather be able to still operate in the rarity that a batt fails. I'm certainly not running four 6 volt batts to get around that so…

Tomorrow it gets two group 27s or group 29s. By the time I put this puppy away come spring, it will be outfitted with a dual batt tray and those two 12 volts in parallel. When it goes back out in the fall it will have the solar panel.

Probably going with Interstate and looking for the comparative data between the group 27 and 29 amp hours, etc.

Edit: Got it:
Ron and Kelly
2014 Rockwood A112TH
2004 Toyota 4Runner V8
Always Exploring
Old 11-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
National Park
BTW, that same chart shows you why the 6V is favored.

1 27M is 180 min RC at 25A and 5.7 AH at 15A.
1 6V is 474 min RC at 25A and 14 AH at 15A.

In this case from a longevity of use standpoint, the 6V outshines even two G27s.
Ron and Kelly
2014 Rockwood A112TH
2004 Toyota 4Runner V8
Always Exploring
Old 11-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
Different brands have different Ah ratings, depends on what you want to pay. I went with 4, 6 volts at 232 Ah each (Interstate deep cell extreem, I paid $150 each) 2 sets of 2 batteries in series then parallel the 2 pairs = 2 sets at 12 volts 464 Ah's. These are 6 volt golf cart batteries. don't let RC rating confuse you you want high amp hour ratings.
Dale & Terri, Lulu & Tiki (our Chihuahua's), New rescue puppy Prince - Pom/Pug mix.
2013 Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7, TRD Off-Road, 4X4, Full Tow Package
2013 Wildwood T26TBSS - Sold
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #18
Generally the 6V golf car batteries are more forgiving for deep discharge even over the marine deep cycle batteries.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #19
Why be rushed into a costly decision because of time constraint...a portable buddy heater kept on low works great in the trailer at nite as an alternate heat source if you want to save/extend your battery life. Years ago I got a Buddy Heater to use in our SUV tent & DH has been taking it on his annual trek to Quartzsite AZ in the truck camper. The A-Frame is a well sealed unit and holds the heat great (at least in my experience/observation)

The cool thing about A-Frames is they dont use alot of power...even less if you have replaced the existing bulbs with LED loghts. Since the nites dip in the 20's, bring along quality bedding. We carry down filled blankets, they have keep us pretty darn toasty in temps that cool, we sleep deeper.....of course I also wear merlino socks and microfleece sweats and hope I dont have to go potty in the middle of the nite. Haha but no question about it, I do turn heat on in the morning while the coffee brews.

We carry a generator if we are going where there is no power and we also have solar.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:12 AM   #20
Site Team
I just bought a second, smaller generator just for charging batteries when dry camping in winter. (hunting season) Got it at harbor freight for $79.00 on sale. 800 watts, along with battery charger kept us going for 5 days on one battery. 1 gal tank, 2 stroke engine, 50:1 fuel ratio, runs 5-7 hours on a tank. And not very loud. Only weighs about 35 lbs. Just another option.
We ran it each evening to charge batts and showered while gen was running.

2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote