Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

Which Smart Charger

As we head into winter in mid-Missouri, I'm thinking about buying a charger to maintain my battery. I currently have a single 12 volt battery, but from reading here, my replacement(s) might be two 6 volts. I have the ability to plug in my T12BH in my shed, or I can bring the battery in and maintain it on a charger. What are your recommendations on a charger? Specs and brands you recommend would be appreciated.
NateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Site Team

I leave my battery in my camper but have added a Battery Tender ( see link) that is plugged in and does an excellent job of maintaining the battery without any intervention. I chose this method so as to protect the converter from the power glitches we have during winter storms. Battery tender is less expensive to replace if necessary. I just added the pigtail to the battery and have the Battery Tender sitting under the TT in a small enclosure to keep weather out. It will also work with 2 6V batteries in series if they are same size and age.
https://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Batte...attery+tenders

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #3

The converter will do an excellent job - if it's working correctly. To determine whether it's working correctly or not requires a couple of voltage measurements. When you first plug in the camper, the voltage (anywhere in the camper) should be 13.6 - 13.7 volts. This is WFCO normal mode. This should drop to 13.1 - 13.2 volts (trickle charge) after 3+ days.

My WFCO converter would never drop back to trickle mode, and I'm not sure it ever went into boost (bulk) mode, either (14.4 volts). This eventually started evaporating water in the batteries. I replaced the WFCO with a Progressive Dynamics 4135 converter that does use all 3 charging modes as appropriate (verified with voltmeter). I have no qualms leaving the camper plugged in indefinitely with the PD converter. And the PD recharges the batteries much faster after dry camping than the WFCO did.

I did replace my 2 12V batteries with 2 Interstate 6V golf cart batteries from Costco. This was the cheapest route ($150 for both, taxes included), and gave the most battery capacity for my space. I also installed a battery cut-off switch so I easily unplug and let the batteries sit for several months at a time.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery cutoff switch 23Apr2016.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	125402   Click image for larger version

Name:	dual 6V battery install 25Apr2016.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	125403  
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #4

Thanks Flybob. I'm slowly learning electrical as I go. How did you make the decision on the 1.25 amp? I see several models with a range of amps.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
The converter will do an excellent job - if it's working correctly. To determine whether it's working correctly or not requires a couple of voltage measurements. When you first plug in the camper, the voltage (anywhere in the camper) should be 13.6 - 13.7 volts. This is WFCO normal mode. This should drop to 13.1 - 13.2 volts (trickle charge) after 3+ days.

My WFCO converter would never drop back to trickle mode, and I'm not sure it ever went into boost (bulk) mode, either (14.4 volts). This eventually started evaporating water in the batteries. I replaced the WFCO with a Progressive Dynamics 4135 converter that does use all 3 charging modes as appropriate (verified with voltmeter). I have no qualms leaving the camper plugged in indefinitely with the PD converter. And the PD recharges the batteries much faster after dry camping than the WFCO did.

I did replace my 2 12V batteries with 2 Interstate 6V golf cart batteries from Costco. This was the cheapest route ($150 for both, taxes included), and gave the most battery capacity for my space. I also installed a battery cut-off switch so I easily unplug and let the batteries sit for several months at a time.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
Thanks for input Fred. I guess I'll need to plug it in for a few days to know if the converter is dropping to to the 13.1-13.2 range. I do have the cut off switch already. Trying to decide if it's as ok to leave it in the camper with occasional or fulltime plugged in, or whether it would be better to bring it inside-- then I would need a trickle charger to maintain it.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #6

With a cutoff switch, it doesn't matter which you do. A fully charged battery will do fine untouched for over 3 months - inside or outside.

I used to remove my lawn tractor battery in November because of parasite current draws, charge it up, and leave it sit for the winter in the garage, and put it back in the tractor without recharging in April.

Or you can keep the batteries trickle charged. It might add a month to the life of your batteries.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #7

I simply disconnect my deep cycles....leave them on the frame. I ....and forget about them until the spring....trailer is stored in my garage. I used to check them...but have found both to be at max all through the winter. No need for battery tenders...but mine are pretty robust and have always been well maintained during the camping season
Old 11-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #8
Site Team

I use the same BT model for many applications ( Motorcycle, tractor and RV ). I check for critters and leaks once a month so I am in and using lights, The larger one will top off that usage fairly quickly then go back to intelligent maintain mode.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #9

Thanks for the input All.
Taking all things into consideration, I think I'll leave it out in the shed, on the frame, connected but switched off. Then monthlyish I'll plug in the camper to give the battery any needed topping off.
Anything wrong with this plan?
Old 11-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #10

Certainly nothing wrong with your plan. I have done both ways with different units. This year, I pulled the battery from the camper and stored it inside the garage hooked up to a tender I bought from Harbor Freight.
On the boat, I just disconnected the negative cable from both the crank and trolling batteries. If they are full when you put it away for winter, they should still be good in the spring.
As another thought, I store the camper in a rented space at a public storage facility. Not saying anyone would steal it but why take a chance.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:51 AM   #11

Just a note. Make sure your battery is clean. A dirty battery can discharge across the top of the battery. Not a big deal on a daily driven car, but will sucks an unattended battery down sooner than you'd think.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 11 (so far)
Luv70sFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
I simply disconnect my deep cycles....leave them on the frame. I ....and forget about them until the spring....trailer is stored in my garage. I used to check them...but have found both to be at max all through the winter. No need for battery tenders...but mine are pretty robust and have always been well maintained during the camping season
Same here!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #13

Although I leave my RV plugged in (and verify that the converter/charger goes into 13.2V float-mode) I use NoCo Genius chargers for other applications. I have a 1 amp for my Miata that spends the winter covered in the garage and a 3.5 amp for the dual-battery diesel TV that, now that I'm retired, could spend weeks between startups in very cold winter temps.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote