Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #1

Why balance?

I have owned the A122 for two summers, and love it. Before that, I was a tent camper for twenty five yeas. So far, my campgrounds offered relatively level campsites. I have leveled from front to back with the tongue jack, but not side-to-side.

I have read a lot of threads about people using balancers to level side-to-side. Should I balance side-to-side? What's the reason for it? Sorry about asking a dumb question. Thank you.
Tinsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #2

So your eggs don't run off the side of the skillet? Just kidding. If your fridge is located on the front or rear wall of the trailer then it would be pretty important. Absorbtion refrigerators can sometimes go into sort of a vapor lock if not level left-to-right. But seeing how you are in an A frame I'm assuming your fridge is mounted on the side, and you are leveling front to back, so that shouldn't be an issue. The only other issue I can think of for popups is being unlevel can sometimes put the lift system in a bind and cause a lot of unnecessary stress when raising and lowering the roof. I'm not that familiar with A frames so I don't know what you've experienced. Other than that it's probably just a matter of how much you can tolerate when sleeping. On our hybrid we just use lynx levelers under the tires on whichever side is lower. It's not usually a big deal, one or two stacked up is usually enough unless we're are on a hillside.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
The Wayfarers

We just went through the same predicament concerning leveling , balancing and erecting our A Frame. We tried several different ways of erecting the aframe and found we needed to balance on tires before we put up the sides because it neede the extra give. But after it was erected, you must now level it with stabilizers. Yes, so your eggs won't fall out , you won't fall out and yes so your refrigerator works better.
Days camped 2015:98 Az, Chi,Mn,N.D.,Mt,Id! Wa, Or,Ca
2016 camped 118 Az,Chi,In,Mi,Oh,Ny,Vt,NH,M
2017 camped 88 az,Chi,Mo,Ok,Nm,Co,
2018 Ok, Ks, Ia,Mn, Ill,Wi, Mi, In, Mo, Ak,Tx & N.M.f
Palletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #4

Your fridge is very sensitive to for/aft leveling and somewhat sensitive to left/right leveling. IIRC the F/A level should be as close as possible while L/R needs to be within 1/2 bubble of level. Outside of this range the fridge performance will be slowly but permanently degraded.

In addition to what others have said about setup and egg mobility, the sink has a very shallow slope to the bowl and will retain water if not level.

People use various supports for the low side tire, deck boards are cheap and strong so is 2 inch lumber. Plastic Lynx levelers are simple and stable. Though the famous Bal Leveler is the 100% best top of the class never use anything else product to level your baby way to go.

PS there is along running and humorous "dispute" between Bal lovers (like me), Lynxites, and woodchucks over this issue.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palletbob View Post
you must now level it with stabilizers..
The stabilizers are for stabilizing. Leveling is to be done only with the tongue jack and by raising the low side tire.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #6

We are Lynx users (and former woodchucks). A box of Lynx legos (including carrying case) is $30 at Wal-Mart, is easier to use, and takes less storage space than my previous leveling boards.

I made things real easy by putting a bubble level calibrated in inches on the front of the A-frame. I pull up a few inches short of the final spot, glance at the level, grab the number of Lynx legos (1" = 1 lego block) and put it (them) behind the low wheel. Back onto the blocks, set the chocks, unhitch (because I have an Equalizer WDH), level fore 'n aft, and we're ready for the rest of setup. I have never missed yet with this sequence.

I carefully leveled the camper in the garage (using carpenter levels and checking multiple parts of the camper) before installing the calibrated bubble level on the camper.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and neighboring states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #7

Why balance?

I too set up in the driveway with a level on counter tops, table, even opened the fridge and microwave doors to see how they swing. Then I mounted 2 leveling bubbles on spots within eye sight of the front door. Meaning, I back into a spot, my wife opens the TT door and looks at the bubbles to determine what side to put the Legos. Then I back up on the final spot. I then unhook and level with the jack. Done...... Now where's my fishin rod?

2014 Wildwood X-lite 195bh......Happy camping.
Wa11y757 is offline   Reply With Quote