Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 08:44 AM   #1

Why do you like your A frame?

We've camped in a pop-up for 10-years, sold it, will be picking up our HW192 next week, and are very excited! What has been your favorite part of owning an A frame?
Jodilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

So easy to tow and set up. Quieter inside than a pop up. Few frills, just a good place to sleep or get out of the elements when on short trips.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:44 AM   #3

My wife and I also sold our pop up and went with a Flagstaff A-frame. We couldn't be happier. It has all the advantages of a pop up minus a few of the hassles.
It is easy to tow like a pop-up, with no blind spots towing or backing up. Faster set up and take down without the bed slide wrestling match ! Perfect for the two of us, we tend to be "spur of the moment people" when we are camping. If we decide to move, in minutes we are on the road ! The hardsides on the A-frame offer a little more secure feel than the canvas. Packing up without concerns for wet canvas is a plus.
The only thing we miss is the tent feel when sleeping, although if it is cold and at altitude not always a bad thing. We did add a Clam easy to set up screen tent to expand our living area. When we miss the tent we sit out there until the feeling passes !

I think you are going to like your choice !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	573.0 KB
ID:	103435  
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:35 PM   #4

Plenty to like

Ours is a 2014 Rockwood A127TH (toy hauler). Easy tow (though the additional length of the toy hauler platform adds difficulty in towing), quick set-up and take-down, excellent A/C and heat pump (haven't used the gas furnace yet), solidly weatherproof (have been through several thunderstorms and never felt "exposed". We took it from NC to Montana and back last summer, including +400 miles along Forest Service gravel roads and trails.

Best of all, the 3 year grandson LOVES IT and calls it "Pop's Little House". We'll be taking him to Hot Springs, NC for a weekend trip in a couple of months.

Fox58

Rockwood A127TH.
Fox58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #5

Well, for #1 - it's just soooo darn cute! We love the convenience of keeping most of our camping gear packed in the camper so all we have to do is get food and clothes together vs. spending hours packing the back of the truck to go tent camping. Did I mention it's CUTE??!!??!! We have a 192HW.
JoeLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #6

we both work and it is just so easy to leave it all packed and ready to go... drop in the clothes, swing by the grocery, and head out.... Once on site we are up in a few minutes (it actually takes long using the actuator to pop it up then it would to just push it up). we like to camp in the mountains the hard sides allow us to extend our season by a month or so on each side.

We have had this one about a year and we are still figuring out exactly how to pack it, we are always trying something new.

my 2 cents

TMJess
Tmjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #7

We love our T12SC. We love the ease of towing, gas mileage, being able to move it in the driveway with just a shove (single axle), garage storable (HOA police and I'm too cheap to pay for storage), my own toilet and shower for bike rides (when everyone is standing in line in the heat waiting for their turn at the shower truck) and others that slip my mind right now. When we bought ours, other RVers said that everyone starts small and moves up. Well, we'll soon be at 3 years and we do enjoy looking at larger units. We would like to camp with a walk-around bed, a separate sofa, a larger fridge and a separate bathroom. But we only want to tow and store our little pop-up!
Old 04-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #8

I have owned a pop up. then a travel trailer... then a bigger travel trailer.. I wanted to get back to basics without sleeping on the ground (plus I like my AC). My 2014 Rockwood a122s is near perfect for me.. I kinda miss the bathroom.. but I don't really miss having to go to the dump station before heading home.

No longer have to be concerned about the size of the campsite.. I can get in any of them.. The aframe tows so easy behind my F150 Pick Up. Belive it or not.. with the a122s front trunk.. I actually have more outside storage than I did on my last travel trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
We did add a Clam easy to set up screen tent to expand our living area. When we miss the tent we sit out there until the feeling passes !
By the way.. Butch.. I bought a CLAM last fall.. haven't used it yet. Set it up in the driveway.. in about 2 minutes, by myself.. Love it, so far.. Expensive.. but well worth it.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodilc View Post
We've camped in a pop-up for 10-years, sold it, will be picking up our HW192 next week, and are very excited! What has been your favorite part of owning an A frame?
I was out in mine this weekend dry camping with a group that was mostly tenters. The reasons this weekend were:

The younger crowd that stayed up late around the fire didn't keep me up.
The coyotes didn't wake me up.
The emergency phone call to India in the middle of the night didn't wake me up.
The inside was 10 degrees warmer at night without running the furnace.
This morning when we had to get to Enchanted Rock for an early hike, it took 15 minutes for me, alone, to fold up and hitch so I was ready to go while the tenters were folding up their cold wet tents.

Now most of these are things one can do with many RV's. But certainly not a typical canvas popup. Yet like the popup I had before, I can store my camper at home.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #10

I spent a few nights in a classic canvas sided pop-up 45 years ago, and didn't like the experience. When I started seeing A-Frames a few years back, I thought "This might actually be a good idea". I did some research, and finally picked my T12 up last June. So far, I have spent about 40 nights in it, and it has proven to be everything I had hoped for - with the exception of a failed and leaking skylight. I added a Honda generator and a receiver in the rear for my motorcycle carrier. I am hoping to get in about 60 days this year.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #11

Nice rig bluepill ! Say did I see a Honda 450 Scrambler in one of your pics. Lordy mercy riding those in the dirt was a handful !
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #12

Its paid for and has been customized for my wants. In fact was loading for first trip today. Always hate the first and last trips, cause I have to load everything, then take out everything. BTW I am still customizing, hey it is what A-framers do.
Its Cute but......
Total (2104-2017) 319 2018 (59)
dts3204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
Nice rig bluepill ! Say did I see a Honda 450 Scrambler in one of your pics. Lordy mercy riding those in the dirt was a handful !

I actually owned 2 different CL450's back in the day. I liked the look better than the CB low pipes.

Honda CL for the road, Z50 minitrail for the back yard, and Yamaha DT-1 for the trails. The bike I currently carry on the camper is a Yamaha WR250R. Very nice dual sport.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #14
Retread Popup Owner

We've had quite a few different rigs over the years, and the A frame is right up there on the list. We had three different canvas style popups, a hybrid travel trailer, and then the A frame. The A frame is definitely the easiest to set up!

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #15

We like our 128s for a number of reasons 1)it has everything we need and more.2) just the ease of setting it up.3) we can store all our camping stuff in it in all its compartments.4)it's quite as someone has also stated.5) it tows with ease we tow with a f150 which is a bit of overkill.6) it's a hard side which has opened up our camping to more bear arias and better for year round camping then the tent was.7)the heater is nice at -30 on ski trips.
Dsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #16

We are on our 3rd camping trip in our new T19QBHW. We have been boondocking for 5 day. It's been great. Very easy to tow and setup is a breeze. Everything is working great..thank heavens for heat. We are in Cade's Cove with no hookups. Water pump for fresh water tank works real well. We are very pleased with our A Frame and love showing it off.
Mountain Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, a-frame