Old 05-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #51
The police report said the trailer weighed 10,500 lbs. It was more than twice his weight limit.
Attached Images

gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #52
Mod free 5er
Did the report say anything about whether the trailer brakes were working? I would think even if he were towing with an F250, if the trailer brakes were not working he would have still slide into you. Just asking, not trying to be confrontational. It was a disaster regardless and you were lucky to come out of it alive.

OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #53
I don't know the answer to that. Oh, he was coming down a hill to the red light which hindered his being able to stop.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #54
Engineer of Crazy Train
gt40, glad you are OK. I don't know what to say. TV was definitely an issue. That weight is just about the tow capacity of my old dually and being towed by a Dakota. Not knowing what it looked like, or what happened, I would think that possibly added factors were possibly one or more of the following... Bad Brakes (if any), Driver inexperience, speed, and/or driver attention.

Not to start a debate, but I think that is why most SUVs are under rated is because people do stupid stuff like this.

Anyways, how are those Wranglers at towing those A-frames???
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #55

I don't know about the Wranglers because I bought a Tacoma Double Cab V6 4X4 automatic with the tow package that is rated for 6,400 lds. which is about double what the 4 door Wrangler is rated for even though the Wranglers are much "COOLER" looking.

PS: I am planning on getting an A-Frame because of easy setup, weight, comfort while camping and low profile while towing for less wind resistance. I should have plenty of room in the back of the Tacoma for storage.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #56
The 4-door wranglers are rated at 3500/350lbs. The 2-door at 2000-200. (3.73 axles required or lower tow rating of 1000/100 with 3.21 gears).

The 4-door and 2-door share the same 2" receiver hitch, engine, and transmissions so the weight difference is (in my opinion) purely due to wheelbase.

I tow with a 2011 2-door with an automatic and the 3.73 rear end. I added a WDH to balance the weight in the shorter wheelbase. I also added an aux trans cooler for the auto trans.

It tows fine. You definitely know its there when accelerating and driving. However with the electric brakes braking is like nothing's there. I'm very pleased after towing both back roads and interstate. No sway even when passing semis and very stable all around. The WDH is a most for the 2-door models, and the tongue weight if the front storage or toy hauler models will be way too much for the 2-door and maybe even the 4-door.

Those with the newer wranglers that have the new more powerful 3.6L Pentastar V6 are likely even more satisfied. Mine has the 3.8L.

2011 FR Rockwood Premiere A126 Hard Side
TV=2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 Dr
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote