Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
mgtann

wind protection

I don't know if anyone can help, but I saw that some aframes had problems with high winds separating the roofs and even some that had really bad damage. I check on line and found the wind Cheeta. I did not want to void my warranty by adding this device, so I called my dealer.

They were not able to answer the question so the service advisor called Forrest River and told me that my trailer was built in the second half of the year its a 2014 built in March of 2013 and that it had a special flange in the side to roof bracket that will take care of this problem.

I looked at the Forest River Site and watched the set up video. The aframe is an older model with the diamond shaped door so I know this is an older model than mine. But it has the same latch from side to top that mine has on it. I called the Dealer back and he told me they no longer carry Aframes, and that he understood my concerns and he will call Forest River and see if they can send a picture of the bracket so I can compare.

Has anyone had these questions. I hope I have the extra protection, but if I don.t I want to get the product I need to avoid this problem.
mgtann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #2

I have a 2012 Flagstaff TH, my best friend bought a 2013 Rockwood TH in November 2013. They are the same with the bolt - no difference that I could tell. We've been in 50 mph wind gusts and other times winds avg 35 mph with no problems. Common sense putting up or down in the wind. I do believe that the Wind Cheetah would absolutely prevent the roof parts from hyper extending the roof cords and such. There is no physical modification to the roof if you added one so can't see how it would void warranty. Smart to double check tho! Forget the dealer, just call the manufacturer and ask...The people at Forest River have been very helpful every time I've called about something.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
mgtann

Thanks Handbuilder for the info. I am waiting for the reply from the manufacturer about the bracket. They did tell the dealer that the only parts that would possibly void warranty would be if the wind Cheeta would come loose and the screws would damage parts of the trailer. They would not be responsible for damage from an after market part.

Really love this forum and all the people contributing all of their good ideas and pics.

Happy camping to all and a safe season.

Mgtann
2014 A122s
2013 F150
Old 04-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #4

You cannot "void" your warranty except by fraud or other criminal activity. Installing something aftermarket won't void a warranty. In the case of installing something to the roof, it won't void the warranty, but if you drilled holes in the roof to install it, and the roof leaked through those holes, then damage associated would not be "covered" under warranty.

It's a big distinction between voiding and impacting coverage in a very specific area.

People with goods under warranty tend to be very afraid if doing "anything" lest they void their warranty. Please don't be afraid. Manufacturers can only deny claims for repair if the modification you did directly affected the part you were trying to claim. For instance, if your torsion axles failed and required replacement under warranty, the manufacturer would not be able to claim that the addition of a wind control device led to torsion axle failure. If the bubble window leaked, this too would not have anything to do with your wind Cheeta. So don't worry so much about voiding warranties.

As to the wind Cheeta itself, I've seen many install this and similar devices when they live in windy or open geographies.. And many of these are intended to only really protect during the deployment and takedown phase. A very short period of time.

Where we live in the northeast, there's too many trees and not enough tornado winds to make us consider one. Once the roof is up the cam-lock system is sufficiently secure in my opinion to withstand very high winds and if conditions ere truly extreme (nor'easter, hurricane) then I would not be waiting it out in a lightweight camper anyway and it would be down and put away...

So I think the choice to get a wind kit should be based as least in part on, your geography and typical weather patterns and you ability and strength to raise and lower the roof efficiently and with control without an extra aid device.

Cheers.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
Mostly Harmless

wind protection

For what it's worth, we've been camping in some fierce winds (storms off Superior, near-tornados in Nebraska) and not had a problem with our roof separating. Not that we'd choose to camp knowing such weather was coming, but spring and fall can be volatile hereabouts, and *stuff* happens. We feel pretty confident in the design of the roof interlock system when the system IS fully interlocked.
That said, opening or closing the roof in winds over about 12 mph can be tricky, depending on your orientation to the wind. For those times we did finally install a wind kit--not the Wind Cheetah, but a contraption with aluminum bars (that rattle). What others say about not trying to ride out a storm is right on. It's during the transitions from closed to open to closed, that only last a few moments but are when the roof parts can become sails, when wind kits shine.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
mgtann

Thanks for the info. I think we are just going to be careful when opening and closing. And like you said you have been in bad winds and it's been ok. We were camping last summer at a campground on Geneva on the lake Ohio and had some bad winds and all was good with the camper. Thanks again and have a great and safe camping season

Mgtann
A122s
Ford f150
Old 04-05-2014, 12:56 AM   #7
A-Frame Accessory Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtann View Post
I don't know if anyone can help, but I saw that some aframes had problems with high winds separating the roofs and even some that had really bad damage. I check on line and found the wind Cheeta. I did not want to void my warranty by adding this device, so I called my dealer.

They were not able to answer the question so the service advisor called Forrest River and told me that my trailer was built in the second half of the year its a 2014 built in March of 2013 and that it had a special flange in the side to roof bracket that will take care of this problem.

I looked at the Forest River Site and watched the set up video. The aframe is an older model with the diamond shaped door so I know this is an older model than mine. But it has the same latch from side to top that mine has on it. I called the Dealer back and he told me they no longer carry Aframes, and that he understood my concerns and he will call Forest River and see if they can send a picture of the bracket so I can compare.

Has anyone had these questions. I hope I have the extra protection, but if I don.t I want to get the product I need to avoid this problem.
MG Tann I am not allowed to discuss anything about the product you mentioned in your post on this forum. My suggestion is contact the aftermarket product people via their website and they can answer your questions. I cannot answer your questions on this forum due to the commercial sales restrictions. Thanks
rfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote