Old 01-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #11

Hi Exploreco! Glad this thread helped! Costco had the 35 mile range antennas (not the amplified version) at Christmas time, so I bought one for my best friend and one for my spouse for his truck camper. Hubby was happy and my BFF said she considered buying one but just didnt want to make the purchase. I hope you like it too! Hopefully the suction cups grip the windows, or try another surface inside? I dunno where thosechannels come from, it picked up channels I didnt know existed. Let us know what you think!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Hi Exploreco! Glad this thread helped! Costco had the 35 mile range antennas (not the amplified version) at Christmas time, so I bought one for my best friend and one for my spouse for his truck camper. Hubby was happy and my BFF said she considered buying one but just didnt want to make the purchase. I hope you like it too! Hopefully the suction cups grip the windows, or try another surface inside? I dunno where thosechannels come from, it picked up channels I didnt know existed. Let us know what you think!
Thanks. Will check out Costco. My brother in law has a Costco membership so I can get in and see what they still have. It should work out ok. Still think I will go with the amplified one though. Will update when we go camping in April.

Nights Camped in 2017-29
2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #13

I got one for a Christmas present this year so looking forward to trying it out in the spring. No suction cups that I could see, might have to figure something else out.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #14

What TV did you get to go along with the antenna? Will I need to purchase anything in addition to the FlatWave Amped Indoor antenna and TV?
Are you able to run your TV on DC? If you can, what modifications did you make?
We would like to be able to catch local weather when we travel to Florida in April thus would like to be able to tune into local TV channels.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #15

tv is just an inexpensive HD TV flat panel, a samsung maybe. 22 inch i think.
i have not researched running it off 12v, for us it would be to use only when we have 30A hookups although it looks like the tv itself may be 12v with an adapter not unike a cellphone charger to convert the 120V line voltage.

ant HDTV antenna will only get local channels, its not a satellite, its line of sight just like the old rabbit ears antennas were, so in some remote places, its possible you wont get any tv signal just like you might have difficulty pulling in AMFM radio stations,
Old 02-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #16

The tv in the A-Frame is a 19" combo dvd by Insignia, purchased at Best Buy. The amplified antenna is awesome - have not needed any other mods. Have not used 12v, hubby said he'd install a 12v/usb outlet later this spring...for now it sits on top of the microwave counter.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 02-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #17

i have not looked and my unit is in storage, but is there an easy way to get the coax line from where it is now under the microwave to say, beneath the bench on the other side of the door?

thinking of using a splitter, leaving the existing coac cable connector outlet where it is and running a second to down near the dinette table, so tv could be put on top of dinette and watched from bed area versus having it so close on top of the microwave.

i might also try to figure out how to prewire to some extent the wineguard antenna - im one of those people who hates having wires running all over the place in the open so if theres a way for me to prewire and hide the wires or make a more built-in looking solution im all for it.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #18

For now, it seems to work to roll it up neatly and tuck into the wall netting by door, so no messy wires all over. The microwave counter works great because from that spot the TV can be viewed from both the sofa & dining area. Sometimes my friend stays with me & we split costs for the rv space at the dog shows. She sleeps on the dining bed & I take the sofa. DH was looking at running the wire as you described Rawlus, as he also likes things tidy.

1967 Newell Motorcoach
Old 02-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #19

thanks for the reply.... yeah, i got the antenna for christmas and camper is in storage and i have a broken hip right and arm right now from slipping on ice this winter (long story) so its gonna be a short bit before i have a chance to investigate further- i dont think my antenna came with suction cups (although i think others may have got some with theirs) so i will need to rig something up there - my original plan was to suction cup to the smaller of the two side windows, above the microwave.

weve used the camper with others besides my wife and i a few times so you make a good point about having the tv in a place all can see. ive only used the tv once so far, prior to this we went without or used a small ipad with movies on it propped on a stand. haha.

the detailed wiring in and neatening up can wait until the season advances as i have a few projects i want to get to all at the same time, this being one, the other being putting in my flush mount disappearing power strip by the sink countertop - this would replace the outlets mounted just below the mattress that are difficult to use for heated mattress, blankets and coffee maker or anything on the countertop.

I also want to dig into the stock radio, FM antenna hookup - i suspect its not the best and reception suffers so i want to take that apart and check connections - probably also take out the OEM outdoor speaker and replace with something slightly better - a marine grade speaker from one of the name brands perhaps - just for a bit more fidelity, clearer highs and lows. nothing too crazy.

in the first two years of ownership i think we covered most of the mods we;d want or need, now its sort of polishing and tweaking a few things as part of general upkeep and repair. its a fun little rig, i wish we could have gotten into one 10 years ago instead of 3 haha.

had to cancel our early spring plans but hope to be back camping somewhat by june or so.

cheers.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #20

Got the amplified antenna from Costco so will get to try it out in April on our first trip of the season. They had the amplified version but the box says 35 mile range but when you go yo their website it indicates 50 mile range like its variants that are sold in other locations so not sure what is up with that. Guess time will tell. This will hopefully be a nice alternative to bulky rabbit ears.

Nights Camped in 2017-29
2016-33, 2015-22, 2014-22, 2013-20
exploreco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a-frame, antenna, frame, winegard