Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Mostly Harmless

I plan to keep my a-frame popup in a garage this winter. The garage I've rented is supposed to have had a roof leak fixed by now, but whether it is or not I'm thinking that something like a Dri-Z-Air chemical dehumidifier would be good to have inside the camper while stored. http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servle...rber%2C/Detail

Am I just being too cautious (don't want the floor to get damp and start to rot) or have I hit on a good idea/good product?

I plan to remove the cushions for the winter and leave the interior cabinet doors and compartment lids open too.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #2

Sounds like a good plan. I just recently had an epiphany regarding storing my a126. I realized that if I put it nose down (tongue 2.5"s off the garage floor) that I can remove the battery, tongue jack and propane tanks and pull my jeep up over the trailer tongue, gaining the needed space to fit my camper in my garage. I have 1" of clearance on the back wall, 1" of clearance between the front of the camper and bumper of my jeep, and slightly less than an inch of clearance at the rear of the jeep to allow the garage door close. Note: I'm not driving on the frame of the tongue,, the Jeep has plenty of height to clear it.

So I have a dry non-freezing storage spot now. I still plan on putting some dehumidifying stuff in the camper (similar to what you mention, different brand from china-mart).
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Mostly Harmless

Great that you can do that. I'm envious, wishing I could keep my rig inside at home too. The drying product you're going to get, is that Damp Rid? That was the other brand I'd marked down after a web search. I homed in on the brand I mentioned only because an Ace Hardware nearby is easier to get to than WallyMart.

I used to store my motorcycle trailer just the way you describe, except it's only about 4' long. To keep from scrunching it when parking the car I hung a tennis ball from the ceiling. When it touched the windshield it was very important to have stopped by then.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #4

Yes... That's the stuff... Damp rid.

For. Y parking I'm using the trailer wheel chicks affixed to the floor to guarantee a perfect parking job every time. With only inches to spare all the way around I didn't trust the tennis ball (although that was my first thought.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #5

I use a moisture absorbant, but I store our trailer outside. Last year I would have to dump the water collector every 3 weeks as it was almost full each time. I also run an electric heater to help keep the 'damp' off. One of those small ceramic ones from the hardware. Also, a few times a month the wife and I will walk up to the trailer in the evening, start the furnace to warm things up and have a game of crib.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #6

I have used this same product for the past 10 years ... on both our previous popups. It does take the water out of the air .. however the humidity falls into a cup, undeneith the chemical. I was concerned about the water in the cup .. but then realized it was kept frozen for most of the winter .. thus .. a non-issue.
i will put a container in our 122 this year ... but expect minimal amounts of moisture to be pulled from the unit .. as it very well sealed when down, with no canvas or plastic.
What i might do this year is run the heat pump before pulling it into the garage, if the temps are right. I noticed on our last excursion, that even when heating with the heatpump it pulls out alot of moisture from the inside of the cabin .. and drains off outside. That or just leave all the windows open on a nice cool dry day ....

d-mo
Old 10-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #7

I think drying out well pre-storage is key. Definitely a good idea. I do this after every trip weather permitting. Heck, only takes 30 seconds to open up the A and 30 more after a few hours of cool dry air... Summer however may prove to be another story.