Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 01:35 PM   #1

Winter Storage

I live in a cold and high-snowfall area. Significant snows will probably start around a month from now. I am quite sad that it has come time to winterize, though I might get in another trip or two without having use of water.

Anyway, what are others' arrangements for storage of these A-frames? I do not have a garage, let alone one that is large enough. I was thinking about renting an indoor storage unit, but I would rather not pay for that unless necessary. Some have also suggested a carport (one of the self-setup ones that are not too substantial or permanently set into the ground), but I would rather not have to do that either.

So the two options I am considering are 1) getting it shrink-wrapped while folded down and cleaning off snow when it builds up, or 2) leaving it set up (not folded down) and cleaning as necessary, which should not be as often due to the angled roof. I would prefer the latter, especially since I have had leaks while folded down that I am not sure have been resolved.

Mainly I am wondering if it would be detrimental to the seals, bungees, hardware, etc. to leave it set up the whole winter. That would allow me to check inside periodically to make sure there are no leaks, etc. I do leave it set up all the time when I am not using it during camping season.

Maybe it would be best to "exercise" everything from time to time by folding down and back up during warm and dry periods...?

Nights camped since 2016: 370
JArry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

Since you are in that 200 inch plus annual snowfall area the shrink-wrap is a good idea. I like the thought of leaving it setup and maybe shrink wrap it keeping tension off the roof supports and keeping the clearing to a minimum. I looked at a new a frame just south of the Big Mac bridge end of last winter and it had been setup outside all winter, they don't get as much snow and the salesman they only cleared off a few times. If you are having leaks its usually the skylights and you sure don't want water freezing causing damage or cracking them during freeze thaw. Right after I bought mine I bought a roll of two inch Eternabond tape and covered all the edges of the skylights and fan opening, we have been caught in a few heavy rains with 50 plus mph winds camping on Lake Mich and stayed nice and dry. I am lucky I can store it indoors year round out of the sun and snow.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

Like your flooring....everything needs to breathe.
Do not shrink wrap...push it under a temp garage...or cover the unit with a good angled tarp...nose up on the aframe so the condensation/water does not build up and expand on the foam roof seal on the back half of the trailer.
Water is your worst enemy in any rv.

Your on the right track....
Old 10-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #4

If the shrink wrap is done right you will get no moisture. I have had my boats shrink wrapped for the past 25 plus years and never had a problem. Once everything is tight the installer will cut triangle vents with covers to allow air flow, you could even leave the side windows open a bit if you leave the roof up. This is much stronger than a tarp which usually just rips in the wind or under a snow load.
sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #5

Allto the owners preference...unlike boats...which are built to withstand moisture, rvs have little or no tolerance to moisture...and are built to not withstand....as we all hnow.
Wallpaper, laminate surfaces...ect. are not seen in day to day boats....especially ones that are seeing heavy fishing use...on very rough water...
Shrink wrap it?...yea...if its made with marine grade plywood.
Just my opinion....
Old 10-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
Retread Popup Owner

I'm not too far south of you, in the northeast L.P. My opinion, sun and moisture are the two biggest enemies of camper longevity, and anything you can do to reduce or eliminate exposure to either or both is worth the effort.

My advice would be to rethink your aversion to some type of carport.

We keep ours under one, and we also cover the camper with a breathable cover when we park it. The camper gets a wash before its put away, and when rolled out for its next outing it looks as good as it did when parked.

Whatever you wind up doing, I hope it works for you.

Camping Photos
Camper Mods
Wojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter