Old 11-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #1

Winterizing A127TH

Ladies and Gents,

Yesterday I winterized the freshwater system in our 2014 A127TH, or at least I think I did. Procedures were:

• Assure main tank was empty. Assure drain valve closed

• Close inlet and outlet valves to water heater (WH)

• Open bypass valve between inlet and outlet lines to/from WH

• Use 1-1/16 socket to pull anode/drain

• Open relief valve. This is not a typo, I really did pull the anode from a well-pressurized WH.

• Change into dry clothes, socks, and shoes

• Pour 2.75 gallons of pink RV/Marine antifreeze (AF) into freshwater tank.

• Power up 12V pump.

• Open sink cold water faucet and run until pink. Close.

• Open sink hot water faucet and run until pink. Close.

• Observe inside filter housing emptying of clear water and filling with pink

• Observe screen w/clear plastic housing @ 12v pump inlet filling with pink.

• Open outside shower cold water faucet and run until pink. Close.

• Open outside shower hot water faucet and run until pink. Close.

• Pour about a pint of pure pink AF into sink to assure of pure AF in P-trap

• Pour remaining pint into freshwater tank

• Observe maybe 1.5 gallons of pink in freshwater tank, assure drain valve closed

• Replace anode/drain plug into WH, finger tight

• Close pressure relief valve.
I elected not to blow out the water lines due to ready access to the pink AF and less ready access to fittings, etc, and a pressure-regulated source of compressed air. I also found no "low point drain" valves anywhere in the water system's plumbing. Perhaps the main tank drain is the "low point drain"?

I'll next place some dryer sheets in various places inside the unit, spray "critter ridder" pepper-spray based liquid on all exterior wiring, plumbing, and gas lines, and move it to a storage lot. Spray a liberal amount of Armor-All on the tires, inside sidewall and outside sidewall, and tread, affix tire covers, and pull the battery to sit on a battery tender for the winter.

I'll cover the closed-up camper with a 8-mil reflective tarp with two long semi-rigid foam "bars" providing for air space between the tarp and the closed top.

Did I miss anything?

Fox58

Rockwood A127TH.
Fox58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #2

Sound pretty thorough to me, but then again I don't winterize. The low point drains are located in the cabinet under the sink. Might want to give each a quick tug to let out any little bit of water that may be left in them.

I've never pulled the drain plug under pressure but have unscrewed the fresh water hose under residual pressure, to much the same result. Ain't life a gas. Hope spring comes early for you next year.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #3

It sounds like you got it all. Turn off the LP if you haven't already.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
Sound pretty thorough to me, but then again I don't winterize. The low point drains are located in the cabinet under the sink. Might want to give each a quick tug to let out any little bit of water that may be left in them.

I've never pulled the drain plug under pressure but have unscrewed the fresh water hose under residual pressure, to much the same result. Ain't life a gas. Hope spring comes early for you next year.
Ah-HAH! So that's where the low point drains are! I did see those odd looking devices with white plastic "T" handles but I forgot to add a question as to what they are to my original post. So they actuate by pulling on them? Do they spring back closed? Does the water line's and valve's contents drain outside under the camper? I spent a goodly amount of time underneath the rig scooting around on my creeper, flashlight in hand, familiarizing myself with the underneath and spraying "critter ridder" gunk on the soft parts, and I was specifically on the lookout for drain outlets. Either I saw them and didn't recognize what they were, or the outlets are hidden behind a steel frame rail or crossbar, or hidden by the axle.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Fox58

Rockwood A127TH.
Fox58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #5

Pull up to open. Push down to close. Sometimes it can take a bit of effort to lift or an extra push to reseat them, but like most things in campers be careful not to put excess force on it.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

You make me glad I live in Florida where we don't need to winterize because this is where campers come to spend the winter.

Tags
winter, winterize