Old 10-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Winterizing the A-frame campers

Need some advice from some of you experts out there - what are the steps to take to winterize our A128? Needless to say, the manual is useless. We had a tt in the past and all the setup for easy winterization. But, this one is different - has the filter (and what about that thing at the floor under the sink - sediment filter?) Any advise/how to would be greatly appreciated. Just don't want to overlook something that needs to be done and have to pay dearly in the spring.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Mostly Harmless

Here's what I've done with my 128, hope it helps--I'm no expert at this.
Drained water heater, put the anode back in to keep rust out, turned the water heater bypass valves all to bypass position.
Took out the large water filter, took it in the house to dry out. Then it can stay in the camper (but not installed) for the winter. The small screen filter in the water pump intake line can stay--it emptied when the lines drained.
Drained fresh water tank, opened faucets (including the outside shower faucets), opened the low point drains in the water lines. Left them open a day or two.
Installed a bypass valve in the input line to the water pump so I could fill the lines with antifreeze without also having to fill the freshwater tank. Thus, used just over a gallon of antifreeze instead of the estimated 7 to 10 gallons needed otherwise. Then used the water pump to pump the lines full of antifreeze, including the lines to the outside faucets, and put about a cup of antifreeze down the sink drain.
Left faucets and drain closed. Shut off water pump (I almost forgot this ).
Took all the cushions in the house for the winter.( Not sure this is necessary but used to do it with our sailboat.)
Inspected caulk joints and repaired a couple.

When I put it away I'll prop the compartment lids open slightly and open the cupboard doors to allow air circulation, then set up the desiccant, Damp-Rid, which I got at Ace Hardware for about $11, including both the absorbing crystals and the plastic holder/water collector. Then I'll take the battery and its box home with me where I can keep a battery minder on it. I should make sure the tires are up to the full 60 pounds.

What the manual says I should do but probably won't is to set the camper up on blocks or jack stands.

That kept me busy for some time, hope the list helps. I'd have forgotten the shower faucets if I hadn't seen a mention here.

2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #3

Very good write up for the A-series popups there Ham.

One thing I'm not sure about is reusing the water filter. I plan on tossing mine and getting a new one in the spring. I just feel better with a new one in the off chance there might be some bacterial growth from any gunk in the filter from the seasons use.

Good idea on the cushions. I've heard keeping them in a temperature controlled area is a good idea for longevity.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #4

I am with you on using a new water filter. Mine just came out all slimy on the ends just like the house one does..
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
Mostly Harmless

Probably best to replace it. I used the water system so seldom this year that mine still looks almost new. But no telling what might be living in the tank after a year--or by next spring if it survives the winter. Good thought on the need to change it.
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #6

Thanks for the info Hamguy. I knew I could count on some of you to offer helpful responses. If anyone thinks of anything else, please mention.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #7

Some also put a bit of AF down the city water inlet on the side of the camper.
Some/many also either throw dryer sheets everywhere or cotton balls dipped in peppermint oil as a rodent repellant.
some also seal the drains for the fridge and coolcat temporarily from underneath the camper.
Most disconnect the battery in some way.

I open up the fantastic fan cover slightly to allow air circulation and just to keep it from getting musty (our A122 is stored indoors) and I'll also use a large size damp rid container.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Mostly Harmless

More good ideas. Dryer sheets! Whooda thunk it? I'm doing that one today. Also the AF in the city water fitting
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
Old 11-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #9

I have no evidence the dryer sheets work mind you, some claim it does, others say it doesn't. Most effective seems to be sealing access. I have mud dauber screens on all the external vents and have sealed all gaps I can find.

Tags
a-frame