Old 08-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #11
Daughter, grandkids, dogs and I spent 5 days at a State Park and had a BALL! Hubby was on a "guys only" motorcycle trip. I'm a 22 year Military Veteran...Seabees "CAN DO"!!!!

Jane1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #12
Originally Posted by chaviva7 View Post
Do you have any problems setting up? I'm a little short and would need a stepping stool or an extension to help raise the roof.
In some of the other threads, short folks have mentioned using a pole to lift the A-frame roof. I'm guessing that a 4ft pole (or so) with a handle at the bottom and a crutch to fit the roof lift handle would do the trick easier than a ladder or step.

Even at 5ft 9in, raising the roof can be a little difficult if the ground I'm standing on is much lower than the where the wheel is. Making a lift pole is on my winter list.

My wife will take turns driving on longer drives. But setup is strictly my chore. She helps position the A-frame in the site, and the rest is up to me. I can have the A-frame completely set up (by myself) in less than 45 minutes (includes disconnecting minivan, connecting electric and water, hooking up gray water). The hardest part of set up or tear down is putting (or removing) the WDH head on the minivan (it's heavy, but worth it for the anti-sway and good ride).

The EZ-up over the picnic table does take 2 people (or 1 person a long time gradually expanding each joint).

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan) with Equalizer 600/6000 WDH/anti-sway
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time

pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #13
Handbuilder yes I have a FR Aframe 194HW with the toilet and shower. My husband and I work different schedules, me on weekends and him a 9-5 weekly guy. So I'd like to camp nearby sometimes just to get away now and then. I've heard of some women using extension painter poles to help raise the roof.
chaviva7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #14
I am 68/retired nurse and camp with two dobermans in my A- frame. I sold the popup camper as the beds/props were too much strain on my postop lumbar fusion. Now I use a shortie collapsible step ladder to raise the roof. Biggest strain for me is putting up snow fence/hammer in the poles, around the camp site from one end of camper to other so the dogs can be loose, in/out of camper at will. I go to the same spot at Lake Watteree, SC yearly and still have issues getting back in, darn it!
Dobe Fanatic - Largo, Florida
2012 Flagstaff T12RB A-Frame
DobeFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #15
I purchased my first tent trailer after my divorce. It was something I had been wanting before and I thought why let a cheating ex husband stop me. I paid 800 for it and learned everything on it myself. I upgraded this year to a frame and I love it. I camp with my 10 year old lab and it's such a nice break from 12 hour shift work. The only trouble I have is backing it into my garage because it just barely fits and has to go on a certain angle for the door to close. I'm getting better at that but I will need someone to help me. One day I'll be able to do it!
2015 Rockwood A122s
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
trailergirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #16
Trailergirl99- don't let anyone stop you from expanding your life interests. I got my first popup tent camper in 2008, then changed to the A frame 2012. I have taught myself everything too/ and the forums help at times. I feel very secure traveling with the dogs though it does limit some of the camp grounds I would go to/ breed ridiculous as they are very friendly/retired show girls. So I stick to the state parks/no breed restrictions there. I bought a back up camera "Swift Hitch" from Amazon so I can line up the ball as I back up. Put up something bright on side of your garage door sides, back inch by inch, get out and check, but you can do it. I don't have the endurance I once had but I refuse to give up traveling and the A frame sure helps.
Dobe Fanatic - Largo, Florida
2012 Flagstaff T12RB A-Frame
DobeFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #17
Approach "Learning to Back a Trailer" roughly the same way as Drivers Ed used to approach "Parking" (back in my time - before everything was done in a "Driving Simulator").
Find a Large and Empty Parking Lot (High School on a Weekend, Lowes or HomeDepot later in the Evening, Community Stadium). Set out some "Markers" (Cones, Rocks, Boxes with Rocks for weighting, etc) and make yourself a Pretend Campsite. Decide on what marks the "Road" as well as the "Angle" between Road and Site, and set out a few additional Markers (or use the Driving Lane as the Road). The Narrowest CG Site is going to be a bit wider than the average Painted Parking Lot "Spot", and the wider ones about 2x "Spots".
Then Go At It...

(As a Primer, practice simply Backing Straight down a couple of the Driving Lanes. Then for "Advanced" Backing Straight, practice backing perpendicular from one rank of "Spots" to the next...)
Pup: '11 HW-296
TV: '09 RAM 1500 Hemi 4x4 CC
seigell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
I had to some cleanup on this thread. Moderator decisions are not to be discussed in the open forum. This is from the forum rules:

Complaints about moderator decisions may not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.

I also had to delete several posts that quoted posts about the moderator decisions.

I think the thread is good to go now, so continue the OPs discussion.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote