Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #1

Zamp Solar

We purchased a 2017 Flagstaff T21QBHW last year that is pre-wired for Zamp Solar. I'm curious what size portable panels are being used. Is the 40 watt enough to recharge the battery or is the 80 watt preferred? Currently the trailer has the single 12 volt deep cycle battery it came with. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Road King Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #2

That is a question with high variables. Are you looking to just maintain your battery or are you boondooking and using the battery to power your rig all day? Your needs would vary greatly. If your actually using your battery all day a 40 watt panel will be seriously under powered.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #3

I have two 34 watt panel, when the battery is low I will use both, if just topping off I use one. I do not use a controller. If i was buying today I would get this 100 watt panel and a controller. It seen like 1/2 the time the panel end up in the shade,so bigger is nice.

https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Monocrys...&keywords=hqst
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #4

ZAMP

You can use any solar panel. BUT you have to reverse the wiring connector with an adapter or cut and splice the hook-up. I've seen recommendations that say to use the 100 Watt and make sure you get a controller. Check You Tube for additional info.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
World Traveler Member

I use a 100 watt panel with a controller and I got both for about 150 dollars. I seem to find that the prices have dropped lately and the 100 watt is the best deal and puts out about 5.5 amps under full sun and with the sun moving it does not get full sun all day so I use mine while boondocking to just top off my battery.
I did not mount mine to the trailer but put on a 20' cable and have to move it all the time to keep it aimed at the sun.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPP View Post
You can use any solar panel. BUT you have to reverse the wiring connector with an adapter or cut and splice the hook-up. I've seen recommendations that say to use the 100 Watt and make sure you get a controller. Check You Tube for additional info.
I looked into it and found the Zamp products grossly overpriced. There are plenty of other less expensive and much better options for solar. All the Zamp connector is is just that, a socket and wiring to the charging circuit. The manufacturer of the RV gets paid from Zamp for installing it and the wiring is reversed in an attempt to make it proprietary. Its not unlike the factory installed Furrion backup camera mounts.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #7

Zamp

Mr Havercamp said "...wiring circuit...".
Before I try to make this modification, is the wiring run to the panel, or directly to the battery? And suppose I want to use my own solar panels, Can I obtain the plug (which I have seen for sale on the internet) and just wire it as usual, or do I have to make some change?
Proprietary? Are you saying that this system from Zamp is reverse polarity? Exactly what is going on here?
Anyone have a Step by Step?
Mine is a 373QSI, new 2017, and I have not taken delivery just yet.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

Hankpac - the 2017s should have the plug hardwired into the system for Zamp's proprietary equipment. You should just need the wiring adapter. And yes Zamp is very expensive.
MontyPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
Mr Havercamp said "...wiring circuit...".
Before I try to make this modification, is the wiring run to the panel, or directly to the battery? And suppose I want to use my own solar panels, Can I obtain the plug (which I have seen for sale on the internet) and just wire it as usual, or do I have to make some change?
Proprietary? Are you saying that this system from Zamp is reverse polarity? Exactly what is going on here?
Anyone have a Step by Step?
Mine is a 373QSI, new 2017, and I have not taken delivery just yet.
https://youtu.be/LShSQeddlgk
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #10

Nice...thanks for posting that !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #11

I designed our setup after Colorado-Aframes. 100 watt renogy panel with a weather proof Zamp controller mounted to the panel bracket, then directly to the battery. Very happy with this setup. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...1&d=1489157381
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	131518  
Xplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #12

Zamp 100w kit runs around 600.00 and change. They appear very well built and super easy, just plug it in, the controller is built on the panel.

I just bought my Aframe, the costs add up fast. WDH, brake controllers, solar, generator, leveling blocks, locks, stocking the trailer, you get the picture or you will soon!

My point is, I need to save where I could. I bought a 100w renogy panel, controller, and 25 feet of 10 gauge wire for around 150.00 on amazon. I Didn't even need to cut a hole in the trailer, ran the wires through the existing holes for wire. Took around 1 hour to install, very easy. I coil the wire and place it around the propane tanks, then put on the cover, easy, its always ready to go.

Since I saved 450.00 by taking an hour of time to install it. I was also able to buy a 2000watt WEN generator for 411.00 off amazon. Very quiet, runs a 1850watt hair dryer, havnt tried the AC yet. So for the cost of one Zamp solar panel, I got the exact same solar power, rigged even easier after installing AND a 2K generator for when I need it.

People know Zamp is expensive, are you going to feel good leaving the 600.00 solar panel out in the sun while your off hiking or whatever you do and hope nobody steals it? Sure, mine can be stolen as well but it will only cost me 100.00 to replace.

Just something to think about!
S037474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #13

Xplane, i really like the look of your setup. its actually very close to what i want to do even though im just starting the process of getting myself a 214HW
scottethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #14

The Zamp kits have one big design fault over installing a per-component system. The most efficient charging is realized when the controller is located as close to the batteries as possible, plus using the largest pathway (wire gauge) as practically possible. Zamp systems are, by design, just the opposite. With their controller mounted behind the panel, you can't get it any farther away from the batteries. Not only that, but the problem gets compounded by the small wire gauge they use from panel to plug connector to battery(s).
Solar is a very viable source of recharging, but there's no point in paying a huge premium for a system that is measurably less efficient than one using proper design.
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #15

Yes Zamp is pretty expensive, if you have the option and capability of doing something yourself. However, Zamp fits the manufacturing and marketing model pretty well in the RV market. I am sure that it only adds $100 or less to the manufacturing cost and results in a visible and obvious marketing message. By necessity it must add a minimum amount of cost to the RV. Most will never use it but it is very demonstrable at retail.

If all you are going to connect is a 100 watt panel, the design is fine. Sure it is a long way away from the batteries and the cables are small, but there will never be more than 5 amps on the cable and the voltage drop to the batteries will be minimal. Solar has the unique advantage of providing more than enough voltage (18 volts?) and the drop in the cable is pretty calculable in most circumstances.

You don't connect a 100 watt panel to a battery bank with #10 copper. 30 feet of #14 cable in this application (one way) will result in under 1 volt of voltage drop. Zamp knows how long the cable is and what the gauge is so this is not rocket science for their controller to overcome.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar