Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #1

2014 Trilogy - 3850RL - Closet Clothes Rod

Since we received our Trilogy back in January, it has only been on the road twice. Each road trip was to the RV dealership 50 miles each way. During both trips, the clothes rod came out of its holder and dumped our clothes on the closet floor. Not a desirable option for arranging clothes...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	50833

It seems the flex in the closet area was causing the rod to push/pull against the wall where the wall mounted "cup" holds one end of the rod. The other end of the rod is "pushing" up against the dryer so there is no direct support. As the closet flexes, the rod rubbed on the dryer and pulled the "cup" end out, thereby dropping the clothes.

Only one support was holding the rod up toward the ceiling. You can see where it was rubbing as it moved side-to-side.

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	50834

In this picture you can see where the rod has rubbed on the ceiling after it fell out of the support "cup" on the other end.

Name:	IMG_1012.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	50840

I contacted John Armstrong and asked for the part number of the support attached to the ceiling as I wanted to order one. Adding the additional support would at least keep the rod horizontal and not dump the clothes. Mr. Armstrong sent me the requested support without charge.

I removed the rod from the closet. The support "cup" mounted on the wall had pulled out. It just had a sheet metal screw holding it in place. The hole in the wall was elongated from all of the flexing and I need to find a solution.

Name:	IMG_1002.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	50835

As you can see in the pictures I used a screw-in wall anchor and a new screw. It worked out great!

Name:	IMG_1003.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	50836

Name:	IMG_1005.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	50837

Next I installed the additional support from the ceiling.

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	50841

The hardest part of all of this was putting the rod back through two supports from the ceiling and getting the rod to sit back in the support "cup" on the wall.

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	50839

We have not been on the road since I installed this modification but confidence is high we'll have total success. We head out on 30 May to full time in retirement. We are both very anxious to start this phase of our life.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

Good thinking John, we have been lucky and have had no problems with this.
phil falls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags