Old 06-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
2014 Trilogy - 3850RL - Customer Panel Lighting

One minor issue I have with my Trilogy is the inability to see the switches and labels for the customer interface panel (where all of the awning controls, slide switches, etc. are located.

Today I installed a simple modification to illuminate the panel when I open the door and extinguish the lighting when the door is closed.

This is what it looks like when illuminated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1267.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	54931

You can see a wire hanging down in the upper right corner . I was anxious to test this and get a picture taken. Tomorrow I will finish dressing the wiring so it does not show.

This picture shows the first half of the switch. It has terminal connectors on the side that is hidden. I ran +12V dc to the COMMON terminal and connected the + lead of the LED strip to the Normally Closed (NC) terminal.

Name:	IMG_1268.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	54932

This next picture shows the second half of the control for the lights (right hand side).

Name:	IMG_1269.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	54933

There is a magnet inside the block that is mounted to the door. When the door is closed, it activates a switch (due to the magnetism) and OPENs the circuit, turning off the lights. Circuit is OPEN. When I open the door, the magnet is no longer holding the switch in the OPEN position, so it goes to CLOSED and the lights turn on.

The two components are usually found in a home alarm system. When a door or window is opened, these are the switches that make/break the circuit and set off the alarms. I just adapted it for my lighting of the panel.

Bought the switches on Amazon ( : Magnetic Switch : Automotive Door Jamb Switches : Car Electronics)

I plan on implementing more of these to illuminate other cabinet interiors. I hate having to get a flashlight to see in the back of a cabinet

2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter.
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
Awsome mod John. I have been toying with the idea of lighting some cabinets but did not think of the panel. What a neat solution.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app

gauchoverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
Great idea!
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
What a great idea!
sroarke is offline   Reply With Quote

2014, light