Old 09-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
We were parked next to a 2,000,000 Prevost that had basement A/C. The owner said it worked very well. It had a door size vent on the drivers side. Nice unit if you have the cash. Me I'm stuck with the roof units.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil and Dianna
2011 Berkshire 390 RB
Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
Site Team
Thanks for your honest but helpful feedback.

From what I understand only the door on the dryer was flipped, not the unit itself.

Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #13
Originally Posted by John Hagen View Post
Regarding the air conditioner... The guys at the factory did the work. You would think that if anyone would do a great job cutting the hole and installing the air conditioner it would be the factory. They did do a great job. Have had a few rain storms in the last week and all is well.

I did have to insist they install a thermostat for the A/C. Initially they told me I would have to get a stool or something to turn the unit on/off and adjust the thermostat. No way was that acceptable. They did install the thermostat on the wall right as you go up the stairs. Looks like it was there from day 1.

Attached is a PDF file that I received from Dynamax 4 months before delivery of my unit. Al of you A/C gurus out there, tell me if I am reading it wrong.

Regarding the dryer... Yes, the door is now upside down but you really don't know it. The door still has the safety feature so when you open it the dryer stops. They did fill in the holes from where the original hinges were installed. This was a compromise on my part. Like I said I try to be reasonable. The solution was one that I was ready to implement myself had the factory totally refused to do something. I was already worn down by their insistence that nothing was wrong. I even made one of the crew go into the closet and open the dryer door before it was switched. He could readily see the difficulty. I really don't think the designers ever use the products they spec out or build. If they did, some of these things would never be seen by customers as they would already be fixed

The three A/Cs keep the place cool so far. I only run two at a time due to the AMPs. I could run all three if needed; just need to shut down or not use other power hungry items at the same time.

Weezer - Is there a small house A/C unit that could be installed in a 5th wheel? I remember hearing something about Class A campers having that capability.

Only problem with Dometic test: there's no allowance for summer solar energy, a major heat source.

VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #14
Plain Old Member
I think we've all "tested" these AC systems, and if you have any Rv of any size, you know for a fact they barely, if at all keep up. Real world testing is never like what Dometic or any other AC manf says. I won't own one without 2 AC's minimum now. There is a reason you see 3 AC's showing up on some of the newer models, and 4 AC's on some of the busses. I want the next best thing to a freezer. The SOB trailer we're looking to purchase after our fifth wheel sells, is only 27 feet, and it will have 2 AC's.
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #15
I agree, if you are over 24 feet a second AC is needed.
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #16
And to think that I was disappointed that I couldn't get into the factory for repairs. I know the dealer is a loser but the factory alternative, Charger enterprises, did good by me. I'm still sorry I have to go to the dealer again for final repairs. They may end up sending me back to Elkhart again.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #17
I have not had the opportunity to go to the factory however I believe the Trilogy line is so new with units being so few and far between that the dealers aren't up to speed yet. I had an issue with the toilet not flushing and when I spoke to the dealers service department they advised me that they had never worked on our type. Instead of hauling it I elected to repair it myself, really not a big job.
Bill & Pam
2014 Trilogy 3650RE
2015 F350 PSD
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #18
3. What the difference is I do not know but our 2013 3850RL has stayed super cold all summer. Visitors say it feels like a meat locker in here. We camped in the South all summer and our Trilogy never was hot.

4. Our fantastic dealer installed our washer/dryer and installed the shorter curtain rod. I believe I could do chin ups on it. They found the round spots to put it up strong.

5. The washer and dryer were moved from our Cedarcreek. Fortunately, the doors were on the correct side. I had never thought about what a horrible hassle it would be on the wrong side.

So far, Forest River has been great to us. Some of the problems we had were with the suppliers and we can't hold it against FR. Our convection microwave did not work correctly and they replaced it with a much better Whirlpool. Our Carefree awnings have covers which allowed pine needles, etc to accumulate and broke the awning rods. Those are on order to replace.

We still love our Trilogy. What a difference it would be to have the water pump in a better location - that is our biggest complaint.

I am starting a new thread about the storm inserts.

Lawrence, JD and JJ
2013 3850 Trilogy
Our Rolling Earthquake
"The Henley Condo"
freebirds2831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #19
We have found FR to be GREAT! Cold water, coffee and COOKIES at factory tour. Who cares about all that construction crap! Ohhh, and a free coffee mug! Oooo yeahhhh !! GREAT!

SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #20
Site Team
Originally Posted by harderd View Post
I agree, if you are over 24 feet a second AC is needed.
Actually, I had a real gem with my last tt. It was 30' long and only had a single 13k btu AC unit. We could freeze ourselves out in that tt, even in August at fort wilderness!! Now my 40 ft fiver has 2 ACs and I have trouble keeping the living area cool. The bedroom can freeze out but the AC is extremely noisy in there. I am beginning to have the opinion based on limited experience that the 13k btu AC units work better than the 15k btu AC units.

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

2014, factory, warranty