Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #1

2014 Trilogy 3850RL - Replace your bearings often

This is just an FYI post. We have traveled all over the US with our 2014 Trilogy 3850RL and never had any catastrophic issues until we reached Washington state. First it was a tire failure on the front left (roadside). Not too bad, put on the spare and get the tire replaced. Then a bearing failed on the rear left. We limped along for about 3 miles to the nearest service center as the tire barely clung to axle at about a 20 deg. angle. Once we arrived they told us the axle was also ruined as a result of bearing failure as well as the brake lines. Here's where my mind was blown. The axles don't exist anywhere. The axle must be manufactured new from Lippert. So we proceeded to spend the next 4 weeks waiting on Lippert to make and ship a new axle assembly. We were extremely fortunate to be able to stay in the rig onsite at the service center who by the way did a great job and are an awesome group to work with. They gave us 30amp and water free of charge which was very kind. If you are ever on the Olympic peninsula and need RV work, go to Clear Creek RV in Silverdale, they rock. Anyway, we finally got the new axle in and the failed tire replaced and were on our way. Moral of the story, the roadside slide area of the 3850RL and probably others is too heavy. Also, a 2 axle assembly on a coach this size/weight is just stupid. I know we will continue to have blowouts and issues just because of the overload on the two wheels/bearings/axles. If you have this coach and travel a lot, get the bearings replaced or at least repacked every 6 months, not the year most places recommend. There is just too much stress/heat during travels and the grease just liquifies. Also, if your axle fails for any reason, now you know you won't find it and will need Lippert to make a new one.
CivEng12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivEng12 View Post
This is just an FYI post. We have traveled all over the US with our 2014 Trilogy 3850RL and never had any catastrophic issues until we reached Washington state. First it was a tire failure on the front left (roadside). Not too bad, put on the spare and get the tire replaced. Then a bearing failed on the rear left. We limped along for about 3 miles to the nearest service center as the tire barely clung to axle at about a 20 deg. angle. Once we arrived they told us the axle was also ruined as a result of bearing failure as well as the brake lines. Here's where my mind was blown. The axles don't exist anywhere. The axle must be manufactured new from Lippert. So we proceeded to spend the next 4 weeks waiting on Lippert to make and ship a new axle assembly. We were extremely fortunate to be able to stay in the rig onsite at the service center who by the way did a great job and are an awesome group to work with. They gave us 30amp and water free of charge which was very kind. If you are ever on the Olympic peninsula and need RV work, go to Clear Creek RV in Silverdale, they rock. Anyway, we finally got the new axle in and the failed tire replaced and were on our way. Moral of the story, the roadside slide area of the 3850RL and probably others is too heavy. Also, a 2 axle assembly on a coach this size/weight is just stupid. I know we will continue to have blowouts and issues just because of the overload on the two wheels/bearings/axles. If you have this coach and travel a lot, get the bearings replaced or at least repacked every 6 months, not the year most places recommend. There is just too much stress/heat during travels and the grease just liquifies. Also, if your axle fails for any reason, now you know you won't find it and will need Lippert to make a new one.
Good information, glad you got it fixed and thanks for sharing.

Lately, there have been several very happy campers who have upgraded to the More-Ryde, giving it very high marks. Would you mind sharing the cost of repairs? It might go a long way for Trilogy owners who are evaluating the upgrade.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

I'll echo the appreciation from lgray! Thankful no one was hurt due to the blow out and/or bearing failure.

I was talking to my Dad yesterday about the IS upgrade. Of course, during his many years in an RV, he always had a Class A. And when I told him we were gonna go with a fiver, he shook his head. Now, issues. Specifically the overloading of the roadside suspension, at least with our rig. Our (8k lb) trailer axles carry 15,860 lbs, loaded. I suspect the roadside carries a majority, given the kitchen slide.

Question, does anyone know of if the DOT scales isolate weight by location?

Or, does it even matter. Maybe we would be better off, to not spend the money on the IS, but to spend it on a Class A, or D.

Forest River should step up to the plate, in my opinion. More and better information should be available on weight and distribution. Additionally, almost over communication and support, with owners where failures have taken place should be the norm.

Live happily, be safe!

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW
Trailersaver TS-3 Hitch on B&W Platform
dwilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #4

Due to a last minute trip cancellation (Wife broke her ankle) I decided to have a look at the bearings and brakes on our 2015 38RE. I was not surprised by the cracking/chunking brake shoes given the mediocre stopping power. What did surprise me was hotspots on multiple wheel bearings. Plenty of grease in the hub, and we have only put ~5,000 miles on the rig in the year we have had it.

Tandem 8k Al-Ko axles on ours, carrying roughly 14k total.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #5

Not surprising, we have had two axle hub failures within the last year. The repair facility inspected the other hubs and found the outer bearing were bad. These are Lippert axles with less than 5K on them.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #6

Hey Lenny,

Sorry to hear about your wife's accident. Hope she is healing well!

Did you take the opportunity to snap a few pics of the conditions of the brakes and bearings? Have you replaced them with better quality parts?

Thanks for allowing me to be so nosy.

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
Old 07-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #7

Hi there,

We see the surgeon on Monday for a check up. If he is happy with how things are progressing we can avoid surgery. Fingers crossed!

As for the brakes/bearings I don't have pictures as I put it back together while I wait on parts. When I replace everything I will take a few pics to share. I should have an assistant with clean hands available to run the camera!
Old 07-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #8

I had issue after issue with my 2008 Cedar Creek suspension before I had the MOR/ryde IS installed. The leaf springs always ran level (no upward bend so they were overloaded) and failed on rough roads. We were just traveling on business trips so really didn't have any stuff in the camper other than to support that specific trip.

Once I had the suspension changed I NEVER had another issue. They use standard hubs and wheel bearings, just like on your car/truck. They stay lubricated and don't need constant repacking or maintenance. I had over 30,000 miles on the Creek before I traded it, of which about 22,000 were with the IS installed.

My 2014 3850RL was ordered with the MOR/ryde suspension because I would never have a "standard" suspension again. We are full-timers now, have just over 20,000 miles on the Trilogy (as evidenced by my truck's tracking it's connected mileage) and the service it has provided has been worry and maintenance free.

MOR/ryde usually offers discounts during off-season months, just ask.

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #9

Have been at Dynamax since Sunday evening for warranty repairs. Jeff, Matt, Greg and the team have been very professional and supportive of our rather tedious list. I'm thankful to say, all complete...and WELL DONE!

We will be wheels up in the morning, headed to MORRyde. Rob is going to verify a few measurements, before installing the IS System with disc brakes.

We are headed to Japan in August for a few weeks. Afterwards, we have grand plans for our Trilogy. Beginning with "The Battle at Bristol". GO VOLS!

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
Old 07-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #10

Here is a picture of my brakes. 2 wheels were fine, but the other two were missing 3 of 4 friction plates on the brake shoes. Completely.

And I have oddball Al-Ko 4 bolt axles, so I was unable to find better brakes to fit. Even finding replacement parts for these was a challenge.... I think I may have to deal with that sooner rather than later as I don't want to get stranded or miss out on a season if I have more brake issues.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
Here is a picture of my brakes. 2 wheels were fine, but the other two were missing 3 of 4 friction plates on the brake shoes. Completely.

And I have oddball Al-Ko 4 bolt axles, so I was unable to find better brakes to fit. Even finding replacement parts for these was a challenge.... I think I may have to deal with that sooner rather than later as I don't want to get stranded or miss out on a season if I have more brake issues.
Pretty sad, Lenny. Only ~5k miles on it and they look like that. Shows you that those brakes are not made for heavy loads. Not sure how they get away with it.

I have over 20K on my Trilogy and the DISC brakes work great. Well worth the upgrade for long term use and safety. Cheaper too if you are changing yours every 5K miles
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #12

It should be noted, the remaining brakes have probably more than 85% pad remaining. It's not like I was driving like a crazy man smoking the brakes off on the Rocky Mountain passes.

Regardless, I need to get something figured out to replace these. The Mor/Ryde IS with disc brakes sounds like the ideal answer, but install options up here in Canada are limited and expensive.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #13

Lenny,

Better pics would help. Including pics from the drums as well.

Bottom line, as close as I can tell, this looks like the friction lining sheared off the brake shoe table. It's hard to conclude from the one pic, though sure looks so.

If this is a shear, I wonder if it would be warranty?

Either way, bonded friction (glued) would be a poor technology for the weight of these rigs. Not to mention the variation in weight from side to side. (Not sure about your floor plan, ours has a kitchen slide on the road side with a door, dinette and pantry on the curb side).

Sorry for your troubles, though thankful you found this failure.

Like John and several others, we upgraded to Kodiak Disc brakes. That would be my recommendation to you.

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
Old 07-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #14

Hey Lenny,

You said two were fine, with two missing 3 of 4 segments of friction lining.... Do you recall specifically, the position each was located? (Curb Front, Curb Rear) (Road Front, Road Rear)

I may be overthinking this, but please indulge me if you are certain.

Thanks

God Bless,
David & Cathy

2015 Trilogy 38FL
Old 07-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #15

Hello,

I do not have additional pictures as we are currently camping. However I do agree it was a failure of the adhesive. There was not a speck of friction material left.

Positions, curb side front was missing one friction plate. Roadside rear was missing both.

Tags
2014, bearings